Maserati, new clutch on Coupé CC | FerrariChat

Maserati, new clutch on Coupé CC

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by jack, Jun 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    After 62'000 km (2002 coupé), I changed the used clutch. I was a lot disappointed by the new one. In sport mode, the clutch seems to slip-in a lot between 3000 and 7000 rpm. This behaviour was not predictable, but very at random. After several discussions with the mechanic, he explained me the new clutch have 2 disks not only 1 and these disks are not totaly interdependant, there is some elasticity. It is probably why there is this slip-in feeling. He tuned the clutch engagement to the shortest time then WAZAA !
    The gear changes are more clear in standard mode, less smoth than before. And in sport mode, the changes are very fast but not brutal like with the old clutch and the first software. He think it is the best trade-off : the gear changes are very comfortable in standard mode if I release a bit the gas when I upshift, and in sport mode, the car behave like a SPORT CAR.

Today my car have 72'000 km, with the suspension lowered, the clutch tuned and a soundy tubi the car is PERFECT : a sporty and comfortable italian GT.

Little anecdote : last week I stopped in front of the Ferrari Garage to see a guy moving an Enzo into the showroom. Then this guy came out to discuss with me. That was the owner of the garage, with a mechanic suit and dirty hands ! He was very impressed by the sound of my car and layd under my car to see if I changed all the exhaust... I explained it is only a Tubi! This guy was very friendly, he was mechanic in F1 races when he was yound, he like so much his cars he cannot only sell them, that explained the suit !
    By the way the owner of the Maserati Garage, one of his friend, was a prof. racing driver (24h du Mans...). I like to deal with passionate people !

2. Clubhead

Clubhead Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    I'm surprised Maserati chose to supply twin plate clutches as stock replacement. Twin plate clutches are meant to handle more bhp and hence, are usually an aftermarket upgrade.

One common downside about twin plates are their tendancy to generate noise when the clutch is disengaged. The plates would rub against each other generating clutch 'chatter'. Irritating to most people. But I guess Maserati would have taken care of that when this is meant as a stock replacement.

With a twin plate, there is much less chance of clutch slippage during repeat hard launches and high rpm gear change. For a 390bhp beast, I guess it'll need that :)

3. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    I have to agree with you on the Tubi. WOW! What a sound! A great way to top off a great car!

ENJOY!!

PD