Maserati paint codes and formulas | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati paint codes and formulas

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jun 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwcmaser

cwcmaser Karting

Nov 8, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Full Name:
    Colin W. Craig
    Does anyone have a modern PPG (or equivalent) paint code for my 1974 Bora (currently in bare metal and about to be painted) which is Oro Kelso Mettallizzato - Italver Pittsburgh Paints n.3214. It is from what evidence I have found on the car a 'darker' gold (certainly darker than Oro Longchamps Met.
    The name doesn't show up on Ivan's PPG list - they have Oro; Dark Golden; Dark Golden Beryl Poly; Old Gold Poly; and Gold Poly.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Colin

2. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
  3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Colin...

I couldn't find a code for Oro Kelso Met.., but did find two for Oro Longchamps Met.
    One I think is on Ivan's listings, but the the other may not be...

Italver-Pittsburgh Paints 2.463.553
    Glidden Salchi 133-Y-18

Be careful though.. The color chips look quite different between the two companies..

Hope this helps..

Mike

4. cwcmaser

cwcmaser Karting

Nov 8, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Full Name:
    Colin W. Craig
    Thanks for the input guys - will pursue these leads. Luckily there is still a bit of the original paint (left) on the Bora so I have some idea of where it is heading.
    I had a problem with repainting my Merak SS in Oro Longchamps as the Maserati colour swatch I have and was listed on the build sheet turned out to have the wrong identity code on it (it came out as Bronze gold) - however I managed to eventually sort out that issue and got the lovely 'light gold' champagne colour intended.
    Colin

5. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    In my experience, I've seen several colour codes or colour names, to match two different shades.

For example, "Verde Tundra" has this problem. You may get one of either two codes, but both are correct, but different by a couple of shades. Historically, this was done when someone asked for a special version of the colour, but his special version was never named different. Some other colours have "speciale" added to the name, to designate the slightly different shade or special order colour.

So be careful when looking for the correct or original colour, in case your car was painted in a special order colour, or if you are given such a colour by accident, given that one name is used for multiple shades.

6. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hello fellow trident owners,

I am in the process of starting a Mexico restauration. I have all the original Maserati documents and in the delivery document the colour is stated as "Grigio Metallizzato".
    Does somebody have a reference picture of a car painted in this colour?
    Confusingly the Maserati papers have the Colour "Argento Indianapolis" in the build sheet and "Grigio Metallizzato" in the delivery documents. I want to have the car painted in the right grey metallic colour. Does anybody now of another silver car with the "Argento Indianapolis" colour reference? This seems to be an Alfa colour name...

I already use the really good glasurit website tool and found a formula for "Grigio Metallizzato", but i have no idea how this should look in the metal...
    Since the car is stripped of all its paint i am more or less free to choose the colour i like. Interior is black, so it will match almost everything. But i am aiming at keeping it as original as possible. Therefore the documents are quite confusing...

Any help is appreciated
    CU lbird

7. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Which PPG paint system are you using?

Does anyone have any comments on the Nexa 2K Line?

Thanks,
    Chris

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I like to use whatever the painter feels more comfortable using. On this Ghia we will use PPG since that is the paint formula we have. Global or DBC for the color and 4000 clear.

Ivan

10. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Thanks for the reply Ivan.

I'd prefer to use DBC but I'm having no luck getting someone to swap the Nexa paint code to DBC. I even called PPG corporate.

Can anyone chime in on the Nexa...good..bad?

Thanks,
    Chris

11. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    #36 FastFreddie, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    Hey Fredric,

Your QP looks fantastic. My Mexico will get its original grigio milano back as well.
    Thanks for the code. That helps

Best
    Dirk

13. PogueMahone

PogueMahone Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    What about the modern code and formula for Giallo 20-Y-305 ??

THx.

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    PPG 82219

Ivan

15. PogueMahone

PogueMahone Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    You are my Bible !!!!

16. dberaja

dberaja Rookie

Jan 10, 2010
    Hi Guys.
    I need the formula for the Maserati 450s red. I am not sure which red is. Maybe Thecarnut can help me with this.
    I will try to post a picture of the replica I am building.

Kind regards

David

17. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Hi all,

Never ending story to settle for final choice, but I think I have (Indy 4.7) and that would be a solid blue. It is currently dark blue metallic, and I have grown to appreciate the toned-down appearance of classic italian GT cars in dark blue. There is something very civilized about it. Solid even more so than metallic.

So now to the colour code for such a Blu.

Looking at the list from thecarnut - there is a Blu Medio, Bleu Notte, Bleu Antille.

Any idea which is dark solid blue?

Desperately seeking...

Regards,

Martin

18. cwcmaser

cwcmaser Karting

Nov 8, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Full Name:
    Colin W. Craig
    10-7-14 - I have two Maserati in bare metal (well actually now in primer) and am trying to source the correct paint formula - any help would be much appreciated:
    1. 1974 Bora - still trying to find the modern paint formula for my 1974 Bora (produced in September 1974). Factory lists the paint as Gold (Oro) Kelso Metallic (Italver Pittsburgh Paints n. 3214. I also found another website listing for this paint with the numbers - Italver/PPG 2.443.214 (which contains the last three numbers of the factory paint number listing 3214). Anyone know how to get the formula from PPG? PPG here in Vancouver say they can't access any information.
    2. 1973 Indy 4900 - factory lists the paint as Bleu Ischia (Italver 3040). Also found a listing on the PPG website for PPG/Italver 2.463.040 (again containing the last four digits of the factory paint number). And Glasurit website lists 'Blu Ischia Indy Met but no formula number. I also have a set of factory Eurolac (Glidden Salchi S.p.A.) paint chips for Bora-Merak USA showing a medium darkish blue (with some green in it) Bleu Ischia Met. 106 A51. Again the local paint providers can't reference any of those codes.

19. dberaja

dberaja Rookie

Jan 10, 2010
    #44 dberaja, Oct 8, 2014
  20. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Cwcmaser, I was able to find 106 A 51 Blu Ischia for my Indy here: http://coloronline.glasurit.com/ I believe it has most of the other classic Maser colors as well.

Dberaja.... that looks just stunning!

Kind regards

Kim

21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Many thanks to Mike Demyanovich for lending me his stash of original color chips and leather samples.

I took photos and they are now posted on the website. You cannot use these to actually mix a color but they should give you an idea what the color looks like.

Many of the colors were used across Maserati models, plus these color chips do not represent all of the colors that were available.

Khamsin color chips: http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Paint/Khamsin_paint_chips.pdf

Bora and Merak color chips: http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Paint/Bora_paint_chips.pdf

Leather samples: http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Paint/Maserati_leather_samples.pdf

Lancia color chips (some of these colors were used by Maserati):
    http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Paint/Lancia_paint_chips.pdf

If you have original color chips ... please take photos and send them to [email protected]

Ivan

22. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Thanks Ivan, 4 your contributionsl

Ciao,
    George

23. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    Hi, what engine will you put in your 450 S replica (which looks really good!)?

24. dberaja

dberaja Rookie

Jan 10, 2010
    #49 dberaja, Oct 14, 2014
  25. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    This is all very interesting but should be on its own thread.

Ivan