Maserati paint codes and formulas | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Maserati paint codes and formulas

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jun 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    Great. Would you please be so kind to disclose the engine number? I can then add it to my tipo 107 registry, which currently lists already 452 cars: www.tipo107.com
    Your help will highly appreciated, thank you!

2. cadstar13

cadstar13 Rookie

Feb 5, 2015
    Does anyone have PPG paint formulas for Lancia colors? I am restoring a 1967 Lancia Flaminia Pininfarina coupe. I am looking for Bianco Saratoga and Avoir Chatilly in particular. Lechler numbers are Bianco saratoga 1329 Avoir Chantilly is 32. I cannot get Lechler in the U.S. So I was trying to find a PPg formula. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Brian.

3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    cadstar13..

Perhaps the following may help:

Glidden Salchi Eurolac (for Lancia):

Bianco Saratoga 20-W-157 (GT-S-Co-C-Co-C-B-Co)
    Avorio Chantilly 20-Y-153 (GT-C-Co-B)

I'm not sure what the codes in parenthesis mean. An idea of what these
    colors look like, and if they are what you are looking for, can be found
    on Ivan's site -- The Car Nut - Maserati and Jaguar Cars

Hope this helps...

Mike

4. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    A friend of mine is going to paint his Series 1 Sebring in original color Grigio Flemington. But he struggle to find a modern paint code for that color. Any idéas?

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    PPG 33203

Ivan

6. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Fantastic, thank you!

7. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    So thanks for the Iso paint chips.

Is the third one from "starting white" (then follows yellow and third colour darkish navy Blue) a solid blue colour? Looks like it.

Would anyone have a modern code for this one?

Looks very nice and Id like to test a sample spray with that.

Any ideas how to get a paint shop to "produce" such a colour?

Martin

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #58 thecarnut, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

9. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Yes that would be the blue non metallic that I want...

Perfectly darkish navyish blue...

Would anyone know modern codes for such a paint that would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin

10. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    Do you have the engine number? I would like to add your car to the Quattroporte registry, there are already some 450S replicas registered with Quattroporte engines.
    www,tipo107.com

11. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    A friend of mine is restoring his -59 3500GT. Original color is "Grigio Brighton". I have not found any pictures anywhere of this color. We have heard that it might be a dark solid grey but not sure. Does anyone know?

12. lussoman

lussoman Karting

Sep 7, 2008
    The color shows up here in a Scaglietti color book and some other lists.

Paint Colors

13. fidjeland

fidjeland Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jan Fidjeland
    Dear Ivan,
    You are the man to answer this!
    I know.
    Sebring Series II color code?
    PPG and/or other.
    Thank you in advance.
    Kind regards,
    Jan

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I used PPG DCC 9300 on the black Ghibli. It is a single stage paint which will give you a deeper looking finish. It is as close as you can get to lacquer. The negative side is that single stage paint scratches more easily, which is a problem on a black car. My car would look great in the shade but as soon as the sun would hit it you would see all the micro scratches. I later had a ceramic coating applied over the paint which solved the scratching problem.

As you probably know, the challenge with a black car is that any imperfection will show.

Ivan

15. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Hello---

Anybody out there who has found a modern formula for Rame Metallic aka Salchi 106R49?
    (I noticed one decent repaint but owner refused to share the info.)

Thanks.

16. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Researching my 106R49 issue came across an interesting cross reference chart between Glidden Salchi and Dupont codes I had never seen before.

Once I found the original Dupont code it took a few minutes to track down current PPI etc numbers.

For the record, astonishing to find out that my Bora's Rame metallic was used by GM for one year, and one year only, on the 1968 Corvette!

Ivan may wish to add this info to his valuable paint database:

Stutz Color Samples

This will solve many many questions we all have had.

Regards.

17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    This is great information! Information has been added as a PDF file to the database.

The Car Nut - Maserati Manuals and Brochures

Ivan

18. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My 1971 Indy 4.9 comes out of paint this week - Celeste Chiaro - will post pictures soon.

19. kevin.mccloud1@me.com

Feb 24, 2016
    Ladies & Gents,

I've been following this thread with interest and am just about to start seriously colour matching Grigio Metallizzato (Max Meyer 16.201) from paint samples on my 3500 #101.1128 - which I've taken from the glove compartment door, having lightly cut it back to remove dirt, and from beneath a rubber door seal.

I've already had one spray out sample made up according to the recipes. Generally a good colour match (16.201 requires silver flake, black and yellow pigments), however a shade light. Moreover, the metal flake size is too coarse and modern.

Admittedly, early metallics from the 50s and 60s often darkened and got duller as the aluminium particles became exposed through the cellulose layers with wear and then oxidised. However, after cutting and polishing the samples I have seem quite bright and sparkly but with an extremely fine metallic particle size that gives an almost irridescent haze on a small scale. A very different and very charming effect compared to modern flake metal finishes.

Has anybody else experienced this effect/problem? I'm in the UK and intending to go down a more difficult route here I know, but I want to reproduce the quieter original colour effect if possible. Without doubt it will need cellulose paint.

20. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    A product I can no longer find alleged to harden paint finish, reducing scratches and maintaining shine. Deleted need for waxing. Reapplication recommended yearly by manufacturer. Car was a black 1997 S320 mbz, and results were excellent. Better than waxing--for normal street use, hobbyist or DIY types, non-showcar.

Getting through the mfr's wording about what the product actually does to harden the paint, or whatever it may actually do, was about as informative and nonfactual as reading most 'heathfood' product labels.

This note is hoping to elicit from others similar experiences, but more details in depth as to what actually this may be, what it really does, why, drawbacks, etc. Especially where to find more product.

Alas, I've lost the empty product bottle and contact with the person who recommended it in about 2007. Maybe the internet will help reach a lead... ie, Google IS your friend. Maybe. Sometimes.

Thanks for considering.
    -- NE

21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The coating that was used on my black Ghibli was Ceramic Pro 9H. Yesterday I spoke to the person that did the application and he says that although Ceramic Pro is still very good he now prefers Gtechniq.

Ceramic Pro Americas - The New Face of Coating Technologies

Gtechniq Smart Surface Science |

Next week he will apply Gtechniq on my car.

It is very important to remove any scratches and swirl marks before the coat is applied, especially if you have a dark color car. Once the coat is applied imperfections will be amplified.

Ivan

22. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Thanks... this seems to be an advanced version of what I'd experienced.

Please share as much detail as possible, and your rating of the experiences.

Thinking to paint my Bora, to be used as high level driver but not showcar, as I do not have that mindset or discipline. Want excellent cosmetics within that framework. Prefer the look of 1973, not modern. Silver/red as stock. US 4.9

BEST WISHES.
    Ned.

23. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    BTW:)
    Does this then subsequently get washed as before?
    Or, entirely different discipline??
    Thx
    --NE

24. inari

inari Rookie

May 9, 2016
    Restoring my Maserati 3500 GT #1676, I would like to paint it in the original color "Blue Danubio", Max Meyer Code 16.446, as quoted by Mr. Fabio Collina from Maserati Classiche. Since I acquired the car painted in gray, there was only a hint of the original color left - a greenish-blue- it seems to me.
    I found the color mentioned in the "Maserati GT factory paint codes" by Ivan, but have no idea how it looks like. Does anyone have a photo of a car painted in this color or can give me a hint?

Horst

25. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Hello does anyone know of a Maserati paint for 1975 Ferrari 308 GT4, Salchi Avorio Safari
    20-y-546. Thanks Mike