Maserati QP-great car, but I'm disappointed! | FerrariChat

Maserati QP-great car, but I'm disappointed!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by parkerfe, Dec 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Well I test drove a QP yesterday at FoA. I was hoping to replace my 80k+ M5 with one sometime next year. I loved the car and would love to own one. However, the back seat is just too small for my family of 5. While it has three seatbelts in the rear, you would have to be a petit midget to fit there. My 6, 8 and 10 year old daughters would not be comfortable there for even a cross town trip. Even two people in the rear would have to give up some leg room as compared to a BMW 5 series! The backseat in my M5 has much more room. It looks to me that the new QP should be compared to the MB C class, BMW 3 series and Audi A4 rather the the S class, 7 series and A8 they claim they want to compete with. Unless they build a QP-L in the future with a larger back seat, I guess I'll have to get a new M5 instead,

2. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    It's that small? That is disappointing. It was at the top of my list for sedans. I haven't heard or read any other negative comments about the size. Surely it's larger than a 3-series.

Your thoughts,

Cavallini

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The fact is you have more room in the back of a 4 door 3 series than you do in the back of a QP. The middle rear seat of the QP is raised such that I couldn't sit there at all because my head hit the top even though I'm only 5 11. Three 6 foot tall adults can sit in the back of my M5. Plus, the center console intrudes into the center rear seat such that you have very little leg room. All and all a small back seat for such an otherwise big looking car. If you need rear seat room, be sure you bring your kids with you for a test drive before you get your heart set on a QP!

4. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    I do agree that the QP was a bit disappointing but I have to disagree with the size of the rear seats. While they are definitely not up to 7 series or S class size, they are bigger that a 3 series and even my A6 4.2 as well. I'm 6'2" and I didn't have a problem sitting in the back of the AP. It wasn't as large as I thought it would be, but it wasn't uncomfortable either. The most disappointing thing for me was the shifting of the transmission in Manual and Auto mode. It was jolting and not smooth no matter how it was driven. I'm actually looking into the CLS 55 MB right now to see if that would be a better alternative to the QP. Don't get me wrong, the QP is a wonderful machine and an excellent choice as a daily driver, but I question whether it will be the "best choice" amongst its class. I like a distinctive machine (the 7 & S class no nothing for me), and the CLS looks to be a step in the right direction from what I have seen thus far. Not to mention ease of service...cause we all know that any/all of these machines will spend a good deal of time at the dealer (unfortunately).

5. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    When I saw the car the L is clearly built into the car but they used most of the L part up in the front to make the car mid-front engine sadan. If they stretch anymore it will look funky...

6. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    My 18 year old son commented after a test drive on Sat that the rear seat room of the QP with the seats back, was about the same as the M3 with the seats forward, so to say it is comparable to a 3 series is over the top. He also commented that the seats were WAY more comfortable than a 7, and better even than our long wheel base S, which has electric heated/aricon reclining/lumbar etc. Overall was his pick of car he most preferred to be in the back seat of. His other comment was, "why can't mums M3 sound that good?". It will seat four in supreme comfort and five if need be.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I sat in the back of that burgundy one at the FFQC, and thought it was great even though I'm a big guy... although it seems to be made for 2 and not 3 in the back.

8. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Your son has good taste. ;)

Forza,

Cavallini

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  10. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    One of the top reasons my parents did not get one. Just WAYYYYY to small in the back. My brothers are 12 & 13 and had a hard time. For a car that was designed to hold people in the back, they really screwed this one up.

11. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    How can an 18 year old, who is accustomed to a LWB S600 NOT have an issue, but 12 and 13 year old kids can?
    My son is doing some web work for us now, I just went and asked him the question and here is his quote verbatim.
    "I noticed there wasn't as much leg room as either the S Class or the 745, but it wasn't an issue."
    BMW just took as away for a weekend getaway to try and sell the 745Li. He sits in the back of an '04 S600L at least a couple of times a week. We have had two test drives in the QP, to ascertain whether it "fits" our family. So these comments are not without real and current research.
    Now I am not saying that the QP has the same leg room as 745Li or S600L, it clearly doesn't, but it isn't as if the car is cramped. It has WAY more leg room than a 5 series and a W211 E class, when you actually take a seat.
    Are we actually talking about the same car?

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I don't know what QPs, 3 series and 5 series you guys have been in the center back seat of? I currently own a 2000 M5 and have three kids that often ride in the back. I compared the QP at FoA on Saturday with my wife and three kids present. The QP rear seat in WAY smaller than the rear seat in my e39 M5. While the two side seats in the QP are acceptable, it is the center seat that presents the size problem. While the center seat in my M5 is not the best seat in the car, it is still acceptable for adults on moderately long road trips. The center rear seat in the QP would not be acceptable to my 6 year old for an across town ride to dinner. I have also owned a 2 door M3 which my three kids would fit in the back, albeit less comfortably . A 4 door M3 has more rear seat room than the 2 door version.In my opinion the 4 door M3 rear seat is very similar in size to the rear seat of the QP. Don't get me wrong, I still think the QP is a great looking and sounding car and would be a fine choice for someone who needs a 4 passenger sedan, but NOT for someone who needs a 5 passenger sedan. If you don't believe me, go sit in the center rear seat of a QP and a BMW 5 series on the same day yourself and then post your opinion... I did and there is no comparison, the 5 series is MUCH larger and more comfortable!

13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Took the Pepsi Challenge. QP Dino has a bit more rear seat leg room than the M5. Didn't compare middle seat, though.

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i seriously doubt they sweated the middle rear seat during the design process. i don't think i've had five people in a car since i was in college, and that was more years ago than i'd like to admit!

doody.

15. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Exactly! While there is "room" for five people, how often do you see a car with five occupants? I don't see it very often, this car is very, very comfortable automobile for four passengers. I don't think Maserati has anything to appolgize for. The QP wouldn't exist if Maserati wanted to appeal to a mass market.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Then Maserati shouldn't put three seatbelts in the back and advertise it as a 5 seater then! And they certainly shouldn't taunt it as competition for the BMW 7series and MB S class which seat 5 in a comfortable fashion! It ain't. As far as passenger room is concerned, it is competition for the BMW 3 series and MB C class instead. And Tenney, if you need a 5 passenger sedan, the middle rear seat is as important as the other two! And Doody, I rarely have my wife and three children all in the car at the same time. However, it does occur at times and when it does I want them all to be comfortable. I do regularly carry some or all of my kids and one or more of their friends somewhere where I need 5 seats...sometimes more where I then use my wife's H2...but, only if she doesn't need it. Since I don't want an SUV for myself, a 5 passenger sedan it what I need. After all I have a Ferrari to drive when it is only my wife and I going some where.

17. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    You need a few more children!

18. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    frank, your opinion has been duly noted, but the cold hard fact of the matter is that 95% or more of the population NEVER have five people in the car (adults, children, or otherwise).

thusly, in 95% of the population's opinion, having a "short" middle rear set is totally a non-issue.

doody.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It is not my "opinion" that the middle rear seat of the QP is too small for a human to ride there, it is a fact.

20. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    thank you counselor :). the relevant OPINION of yours is that IT MATTERS, which it only does for some tiny subset of the consumer public - a subset that clearly maserati is not catering oo with the QP, as you so aptly point out.

the structure and tenor of your posts make it sound like the back seat of the QP is good only for circus midgets and amputees - which is absolutely not the case.

doody.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Doody, FYI, it is Maserati that has claimed that the QP is competition for the 7 series and S class, not me. A 4 seater is not much competition in a class of cars which has been 5 seaters for as long as I can remember. Especially in their largest intended USA market filled with luxury 6, 7 and 8 passenger SUVs. If such a great percentage of Americans don't care about the 5th seat, then why does the SUV market reign supreme here? I think you're right in coupes and people are OK with a four seat or even 2+2 coupe; but not so in a four door sedan. I suspect that's why Maserati claims in its own literature that the QP has room for five. But, neither a circus midget nor an amputee would be comfortable in the center rear seat of the QP unless they had both a short upper body AND narrow hips. I wanted to buy a QP and was ready, willing and able to put down a deposit on Saturday...that's why I had my wife and three kids there to be sure it would serve my purpose. I still think its a beautiful car though.

22. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    why are we arguing over the QP centre seat, luxury cars arent made to fit 5 fat buisness men neways, wats the big deal

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    dave, FYI, 3 anorexic midgets wouldn't be comfortable in the back of the QP, although two fat businessmen would fit in the front.

24. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    The QP is very much a competitor of the S-class or 7-series.. I would peg the interior room somewhere on par with a Jaguar XJ8 when I sat in one on display at Lime Rock Park in CT this summer..

I've rode in the back seat of a 5-series before, in fact I own one... I can safely say, I'd rather sit in the back seat of my mom's A6 or an E-class Benz.. The 5-series is definitely not in the same league with space with the models it competes against and feels much more cramped in the back than I recall when I sat in the QP..

25. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I beg to differ on the 5 series vs. the E class vs. XJ8 back seat room. In fact, I just looked at my law partner's MB E500 and it only has two seat belts in the back anyway, so three people can't sit there even if there were room. And, from my personal experience as well as several magazine test I have read comparing the M5 vs. E500 vs. XJ8, the M5 always wins in rear passenger room as well as most other areas. It's nice that you guys love the Maserati QP and all that, I do too. But, its not a 5 passenger sedan as taunted by Maserati and will lose out to the S class and 7 series for people who need a 5 passenger luxury sedan. Just another example of how the Italians don't understand the American auto consumer on any level other than exotic cars. And, it's such a big car otherwise, it would be embarassing for Maserati to now advertise it as a four passenger sedan with 5 seatbelts.