Maserati QP-great car, but I'm disappointed! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati QP-great car, but I'm disappointed!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by parkerfe, Dec 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    ive sat in the back of a 5series, not the most spacious thing in the world. my moms accord is roomier and fits 5 alot better.

"But, its not a 5 passenger sedan as taunted by Maserati and will lose out to the S class and 7 series for people who need a 5 passenger luxury sedan. Just another example of how the Italians don't understand the American auto consumer on any level other."

and??? u actually thing people who buy this limited run sedan care about fitting one of their friends in the middle, sedans are rarely used for 5 people anyways. 5 adults will be cramped in 90% of sedans on the market. that 5th seat is just there for the hek of it.if ur complaining so much about a 5th seat on a Qp i think u missed the point of the car and you would be much better off buying a minivan or crown vic with a continuous bench.

2. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Sorry but you are way off the mark with this. The M5 has less measured rear leg room than the current E class. Rear leg room, unless you have midgets in the front is a real problem with the old 5 series and has always been an achilles heel. The W211 consitentlky spanks the 5 series on interior fit, finnish and room. Having carted around 5 people on numerous occaisions in my E55, I can attest that there are definately 3 seat belts in the back. This is not unique to the E55 either, the standard E class is a 5 seater.

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    You do realize that the QP is made by Italians and not Germans don't you? This car isn't being made to fit 5 super sized Americans or 5 people of normal or above average height. Its made to fit 5 small people in relative comfort and 4 people in luxury. Thats like knocking the fifth/middle seat in my back seat, the seat belt is there for marketing and only usable when I stuff three Koreans back there (my co-workers). Its a squeeze fitting 3 adults in one bench back seat period unless we're talking luxo-barge. This isn't one of those kinds of sedans. Just my opinion!

Sunny

P.S. the only XJ8 you buy that has better than 4 door import legroom is the XJ8L and that only barely compares to the upscale BMWs and Mercs. Its a sacrifice of form over function, something that Brits and Italians take to heart most of all. They didn't make this car to fit the American market or our teenage NBA potentials or 3 200lbs+ adults. Bravo! If you want a sell out car, look at the X350 XJ sedan.

4. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I have to side with Frank on this one. As the father of three I would love to have a high performance sedan to run my family around in. Instead, we are relegated to driving SUVs or minivans, purely for the flat rear seat. I think we would wean ourselves off SUVs if manufacturers would give buyers the option of a two or three passenger rear seat. Let the buyer decide which configuration suits his or her lifestyle.

5. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    i have mine for a month now. no complaints from anybody in the backseats. i dont haul 4 other people around most of the time, so it is not a particular issue. and those size 0 size 1 models never complaint in the back ;)

if i have to complaint on the rear seats, the heated seat buttons are poorly designed. they are hidden inside the fold down arm rest - so if there is a middle passenger, good luck accessing it. - so... was the middle seat an afterthought? perhaps. i can see it as a very very comfortable 4 seater. they are not S class size but definitely not C class or 3 series.

now, the lack of a fold down rear seat and the shallow trunk (it is very short as well due to the cab-back design) is a bigger disappointment.

so, the point is, if you have to carry excess passengers or luggage, you should go for something else.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Dave, I don't own a Honda Accord, but I do own a 2000 BMW e39 M5 and I had it right beside the QP on Saturday with my wife and three daughters present and we all agreed that they fit much better in my M5 than they did in the QP. You can't beat a direct side by side comparison regardless of the PR hype. In fact,, my girls begged me NOT to get the QP saying "...it's too little daddy..." And that is after they have ridden in the back of my M5 for almost 5 years now. I don't want a minivan or SUV, that's why I now have my M5. I didn't "miss the point", I was looking for a high performance 5 passenger sedan and after I read the brochure I received from Maserati I was hoping it was true that the QP was in fact a 5 passenger sedan...which it ain't. Since the new M5 is based on the new 5 series which is BIGGER than my current e39 M5, I guess I'll have to wait an get the new M5 instead. Stevens, the NEW E55 may be bigger and have 5 seat belts, but my partner's E500 only has 4( I looked myself yesterday) whereas my comparable 2000 e39 M5 has 5 and has much more room. The new 5 series is also bigger than my e39 M5, and the new 5 series is bigger than the new E class too according to a recent comparison I read . Plus, the E class, both old and new has an automatic transmission...YUCK. I'd rather drive a Honda Accord with a 5 speed than a MB with an auto. I once read a quote from a ex-race car driver than said "...driving a car with an automatic is like paying someone to make love to your wife, it gets the job done but its not nearly as much fun..." JaquarXJ6, I have no problem with the QP not seating three 200 pounders in the rear, but I do need my 6, 8 and 10 old daughters to be comfortable in the back seat which they are not in the QP; and I have relatively small children! Kewpie, you're dreaming if you think 3 size 0 or 1 models will fit in the back. While the QP may have the adequent seat width, the models I have seen all seem to be tall so the lack of rear headroom would cause them a pain in the neck to ride there, especially in the center seat. As I said before, if you only need a 4 passenger sedan, the QP will be great...that's what I would buy if that were my needs. But, I need a 5 passenger sedan and the QP is not despite what their brochure claims.

7. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #32 asianbond, Dec 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You guys are a riot...just love to argue!

I've owned an E39 BMW 5 series before and know the back seat is not that spacious already for that car.

Looking at the pic of the QP, it appear the hard scuplt leather material and lower taper roofline, higher seat cushion, makes it less as inviting as the sofa-like environment of the 5 series. And the high transmission tunnel and small center seat cushion doesn't help either. It is definitely not a typical 5 seater like a S class or 7 series. But surely it is bigger than a 3 series and 4 adults should fit quite nicely. Looks like you seat a bit higher unlike the jaguars.

But you have to admit this car oohhs much more passion than a generic S class. I'm more concern with the jerkiness of the transmission.

Parker- given your past vehicles sounds like the new M5 with the V10 is more up your alley, now surely that will be a benchmark as the ultimate driving machine
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It is one BEAUTIFUL machine and sounds like an Italian stead should, WONDERFUL. I guess I'm just mad as I was hoping it would be as big on the inside as my M5 and it's not. V10 M5 here I come, while it doesn't look or sound as good, it does perform MUCH better!

9. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

Funny and true.

Forza,

Cavallini

10. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

From photos, I would say the new M5 looks as good as the QP but in a different way. It's more muscular, less smooth. The question, of course, is whether it will make people drop their orders for the QP. It will be interesting to see.

Forza,

Cavallini

11. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    hmm interesting analogy, but the QP really dosnt compete with the M5. in reality, come to think of it, the QP dosnt compete with anyone, its has a certain complexity to it. i guess thats why maserati limited sales, they know this isnt a mass market sedan like an SL or 745.nehow, both the M5 and Qp are references in their own way.

now if the maser came with a V12, lowered suspension, 600hp then it would blow the M5 away.

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I can't believe you would allow children in your cars. I thought that's why god made chauffeur-driven Bentleys. Or save money, don't have the kids, and buy yourself a Ferrari 612. Why skimp? They can pay for college themselves, right?

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill
    Why do you think that when we went to Mystique in the G5 I sent the kids in the Citation? Couldn't agree more.
    As for BMW's I'm not a religious man but just in case I'm wrong I'd never buy something that ugly. The punishment could be eternal.
    Best

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    whart, the 612 only seats 4 as well. Plus, the 612 is butt ugly anyway!

15. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    #41 watt, Dec 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Who the f.k cares? If you still view BMW and MB as viable competitors in the luxury class, your brain is busted. they are so common and so unreliable, only the lower classes buy them any more.

And all your screaming is based on a family test drive.. must've been a cute scene. My wife actually owns a QP and she loves it. drives in auto all the time on the freeway, uses sport and manual for the daily mountain pound up to our house. Her favourite car ever.

the car is
    - beautiful
    - exclusive
    - sporty
    - luxurious
    - reliable
    - extremely well made in and out
    - soulmate to Ferrari

It isnt comparable to a 7 or S600 it;s smaller and handle better and drives faster. it isnt comparable to a M5, it's much better looking, no Hitler-esque i drive.. etc.

It's a very outstanding sedan. feels light and small and tossable for a sedan. certainly a better car for sporting use up and down the mountain, whilst still able to carry passengers [plural] in style. But, no not 5 in senatorial comfort, but you're the only one whining about such an irrelevant feature to sporting customers.

My wife prefers it to:
    - her e55
    - her e500,
    - her s600,
    - her xjr
    - any m5, her view of all bmw's is "cars for secretaries" - hurts doesnt it?

You seem to need to justify your m5, but why bother us with it?
    Get a BMW X mini van for your 5 people - alternatively, our Governess uses our Yukon XL with great success.

BTW, I think you mean "touted" not "taunted" in your first sentence I quote above, but pretty close for a secretary. :)

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    watt, I care as I was looking to buy one as a replacement for my current M5 daily driver. And, why wouldn't I bring my wife and children to test drive a car that they would ride in on occasion? Further, it is Maserati that touts the QP as competition to the MB S class and BMW 7 series, not me. And it is Maserati that printed in it's own brochue that it is a 5 passenger sedan, not me. But, you are correct in that it is certainly not competition to the M5, old or new as it is slower, does worse in the slalom and skidpad and as it turns out has less room as well. So, Maserati should change their marketing to tout it as competition to the MB C class, BMW 3 series and new Pontiac Grand Prix as it is much closer in size to those cars, at least as far as rear seat room is concerned.

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    So So True! Also you won't have burn in Hell for driving something with a Bangle Butt.
    My Deusy only seats four. It seems to work just fine when the wife and I wish to take another couple to dinner at one the fine restaurants that Bill's friend owns.

18. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Back to secretarial school Mr. M5 - you're still saying "taunt" when you mean "tout" even after my lesson -- not good enough for my secretary, even if your car is appropriate for her!!! Once you learn English "as she is spoke" your credibility will be good enough for a UN job.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You guys continue to amaze me at your inability to grasp what I have been saying. I agree that the QP would work fine for me too if I only needed a 4 passenger sedan as my daily driver. I love the looks and sound of the QP! But, I need a 5 passeneger sedan as my daily driver and I went for the test drive after relying on the Maserati brochure that I received in the mail that claimed the QP was a 5 passenger sedan, which it isn't. But, I guess I should have known better as most advertising out there seems to be false whether it is for a car or a kid's toy.

20. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

thats the stupidity of it, you actually relied on a brochure advertised by an italian car company saying its seats five, i called that being naive. it is obviously not made to transport 5 people in total comfort.

im really convinced you should buy a crown victoria...........it seats 6!!!!

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Your asking for a sports sedan that can magically seat 5 in the rear, no surprise your coming up short! The rear seat of the QP isn't well designed for 5, but its not meant to function like a family car either. None of the 4 door sports cars are.

Our point is change the class of car your looking for if minor discomfort, on occasion, is too much to bear. How about an S6 Avant?

Or just wait for the new M5 to come out and hope it bends the fabric of space/time that will seat 3 children in the back seat comfortably :rolleyes: :p

P.S. if 2 6'2" adults can fit comfortably, not luxuriously in back and have room for a midget, 3 children not in their teen years can't? you need to post pics of your kids and tell us if they are going to play Women's Pro Basketball... :D

22. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    believe it or not, they fit very very comfortably. ;)

"...it's too little daddy..."
    just funny how a man's car buying decision is based on 3 prepubertal girls' comments. lol.

sorry. i mean, you are a good father. that's all.

23. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    You guys are hilarious! Very funny post.

Frank, get serious, the QP definately has a decent back seat. The center spot may be compromised, as it is in most cars.

I personally love the QP. However, after blowing my wad on the CS, I find it too expensive for the daily grind. I'm keeping my lowly E39 '03 M5 and saving the difference for an Elise.

To each his own.

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I too love the QP, I am just disappointed that it doesn't live up to Maserati's claims in its brochure that it is a 5 passenger sedan. It's not unless the center rear passenger is an amputee midget! I see you too own an e39 M5 . That being the case you can confirm that the M5 back seat is MUCH bigger and a real adult can seat in tcenter rear seat