Maserati reliability? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati reliability?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by MikeAR303, Feb 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I use my 02 6 speed coupe everyday, and i would say i am starting to get a little annoyed:

1. car dies after the latest ecu update. first only at startup, now twice in traffic. i am making an appt. about that...
    2. Transmission replaced at 4K miles. I suspect it was a T/O bearing that seized, judging by type of noise and symptoms. Covered by warranty, but street cost would be $15K, since factory disallows dissassembly (whole unit must be swapped)
    3. NAV was inop. Needed a hard reboot at dealer.
    4. Reverse lights and distance sensor only works if you hold the gear lever firmly at the detente (not fixed yet)
    5. Factory put wrong fuse for horn, it blew repeatedly, leaving me with no horn
    6. persistent rattle from cats (something loose?)
    7. cd changer got stuck a couple of times, would not change cds.
    8. low batt indicator, partially disabling the hvac fan
    9. driver window sealing poorly
    10. 3-4 recall campaigns
    11. trunk refuses to latch, now fixed
    12. pbrake only catches at absolute top, now adjusted

despite the issues, i do enjoy the car, and i was not expecting camry level reliability, but anymore of this.....

2. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

seems to have alot of 2002 gremlins!

3. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Luke...wow!

My Maserati is a 2002 Coupe Cambiocorsa. I have had no problems, other than Cambiocorsa software glitches - which have now been resolved.

In any case, for what it is worth, I have noticed that Ferrari/Maserati take much better care of Maserati owners than Ferrari owners with follow-on support. Presumably, this is to help establish the Maserati brand.

- Jon

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Has anybody had any reliability issues with a 2004 Spyder? Don't ask why I want to know.

Dr "Ain't got no car" Who

5. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    not really....most of the recalls affected later cars and some of the issues like nav have also been posted by owners of later cats on maseratiforum.net.
    Perhaps mine was made on a Friday. I am basically hoping that this is it, and I will have no more major issues. I suspect that the previous owner who only drove it 3200 miles in 3 years is to blame...

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Just get a Mondial 3.2 Cab!!!

7. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Dale I know I am sounding like a broken record here but I have not had one single issue with my 2004 Spyder. I got so nervous after ordering my car then spending all winter while waiting for car and reading so much about potential problems, Ride comfort and shifting problems with the GT. All proved false. Shifting was great, Ride better than the 2001 boxster I had and none of those electrical gremlins the Porsche salesman warned me about. Am almost a little disappointed as I figured at least when I brought in to get things fixed I would have a chance to check out some Ferrari's at the dealership. I usually trade cars in after two driving seasons and by now I would already be planning my next car, Not this time as I see nothing out there that I want, but am hoping a new generation Spyder will be forthcoming in a couple of years.

8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Do you use a trickle charger? After reading manual I got a little worried that my less than two mile work commute would not keep battery charged so I picked up a charger at dealership. Can leave connected to the battery all the time and I just plug in charger once a week or so and have not had any problems

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Scott, I would go the same way you did and prefer three pedals. As a marketing guy, my hunch is that those of us who hang out on FerrariChat, Rennlist, etc. are much more likely than the average population to value a pure manual gearbox. So those polls aren't a good sample.

I'm not a Maserati owner, but in the Mercedes world I can attest that car mags rave about the new SLK's six-speed, and it's serious fun to drive, but a dealer has told me that the only ones in existence so far have been ordered for customers, not for stock. They're hard to sell. Another example - I was searching for a Porsche 993 cabrio and was surprised at how many tiptronics there are. A sample of Rennlist posts would suggest there are virtually none, because like us they tend to be car guys. But if you actually look at the ads, tiptronic looks like it helped Porsche sell a lot more cars.

IMHO, your GT is a more desirable car, very involving to drive and with one less piece of expensive hardware to go wrong. But there are a lot of rich people who buy the trident, or the prancing pony to look good and not really to get too involved with driving, if that makes any sense. Add to that the serious drivers who also like trying out F1 technology, or actually use the car as daily ride (driving manual in southern CA can really try anyone's patience...) and I can see why there are so many CC cars. Resale values include all these people.

Congrats on your car, BTW. I think Spyder GT's are gorgeous.

Jon

10. iufan993

iufan993 Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I share problems 4, 6, 10, and 11. Number 4 and 6 are still a problem. I just hope that number 2 won't be. See my post in maserati forum.