News

Maseratis and the Ghilbi

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Boxer365, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Boxer365

Boxer365 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2006
    Europe
    CETH and wbaeumer like this.
  2. 67bmer

67bmer Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    The V6 in the nose is a pretty generic lump with its genetic routes tracing back to the Chrysler Pentastar engine family.

I am a little dubious of this!
    from wikipedia: Insiders initially reported that the engine would come in four basic sizes (3.0L, 3.3L, 3.6L, and 4.0L)

I think the modern Maserati V6, Alfa Romeo Giulia, is derived from the Maserati bi turbo V6. Would they be expandable to 4.oL? I have seen cutaway pictures and they are nearly identical. The blocks were split at the center line of the crank. Pentastar had main caps.

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/fca-us-mack-avenue-engine-plant

3. Foncool

Foncool Karting

Oct 27, 2011
    Does anyone actually bother to do research and check facts? I know it doesn’t happen with journalists, they’re just plan lazy and repeat something they’ve heard from another lazy journalists so it must be true.

First the Biturbo V6 has no relation to the current 3.0 Maserati twin turbo V6. Second the engine is not Chrysler Pentastar based. It was designed by Paolo Martinelli who had transferred from Ferrari and its F1 team. The blocks are cast at a Chrysler foundry in Indiana by Ferrari employees, then they are flow to Maranello where they are machined and assembled by Ferrari. Then the finished engines are shipped to Torino.

4. Boxer365

Boxer365 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2006
    Europe
    From Wikipedia:

The petrol engine is a 2,979 cc (182 cu in) 60° V6. It utilizes a turbocharger per cylinder bank, twin intercoolers and direct injection. The engine is designed and assembled by Ferrari, the engine is variant of Pentastar V6 which is very different from the Chrysler version, but uses the same basic design.; specifically, the engine blocks are cast and machined to Ferrari's specifications respectively in Fiat's Kokomo, Indiana and Trenton Engine Plant, then shipped to Modena, Italy for assembly by Ferrari.[8] In 2018 the Ghibli S and S Q4 were upgraded to 424 hp (316 kW) and 428 lb⋅ft (580 N⋅m) of torque.

Which would indicate it is clearly a variant off of the Pentastar V6. If Wikiedia is wrong than I stand corrected. Otherwise I would still call it a Pentastar derivitive.

5. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    Thanks for a good write-up! Enjoyed your stories in evo magazine a few years back.
    Regardless of the roots of the current Maserati V6, it is not a pleasant engine. Had it in my Levante for 6months (until it was crashed...). The engine is ok at best. Good torque, but doesn’t like rev’s and has an over-engineered sound. The Alfa 2.9 litre is an absolutely fantastic engine (no debate on its roots I hope). Powerful, rev’s freely and is a joy to use (replaced the Levante w a Stelvio QF).
    For sound, the V8’s in my GranCabrio and Q’porte (previous gen) best it any day though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Boxer365

Boxer365 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2006
    Europe
    Thanks and agree.

7. staatsof

staatsof Five Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Stand corrected then. This has been hashed over as false so many times now.
    Ferrari didn't have the capacity to cast all of the blocks. Calling it a derivative of the Pentastar V6 because it is getting it's blocks cast in plants associated with Chrysler is little more than confirmation bias from whomever last updated that Wikipedia entry and perhaps yourself since you don't like the car.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Good post hit out of the ballpark Bob:)

I sent you an email, let me know.

Best regards,

Marc

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I just saw that. Sent.

10. italiancars

italiancars Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    And just to make it perfectly clear, the blocks that are cast in the Kokomo, Indiana plant. The casting is performed by Ferrari employees.

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not in Florida? They do have lots of sand there ... :p

We'll get there real fast and then we'll take it slow ...

12. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    CETH likes this.