Maseratis in 2017 Monterey auctions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maseratis in 2017 Monterey auctions

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jul 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    For those interested in more detail, VCM engine production capacity in this final phase was approximately 30 engines per day.

Regards.

Over & out.

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Yes please ... let's get back to the topic of this thread !! :)

Ivan

3. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD

Watching Chasing Classic Cars and What's my Car Worth on Velocity channel, seem like a lot of cars are not meeting their estimates.

If a 1990 Maserati Shamal is $125,000 car, why would a 1989 bi turbo be worth only $12,500??? Wayne Carini says that when a car hits 25 years, it starts to appreciate. I saw a 1989 Porsche that they made several thousand of went for several hundred thousand $. I hear there were fewer than 250 1989's imported into the country. In terms of quantity, they are pretty rare cars. I think they should be worth more than they are. I am 3rd owner with all documents since new.

I really do not accept that they are that bad of cars. They are just as good as any other 1989 car. A 1994 BMW with direct ignition is definitely an improvement and extremely reliable with better electronics and connections.

I have had mine since 1995 and am just starting to get real problems! My rubber fuel line at the fuel pump cracked and started leaking... I also had the clutch master leak onto the floor board that I am in the process of cleaning up and fixing. It's in desperate need of a new top - several tears and a cracked rear window.

I had an electrical problem very early on and cleaned all the connector contacts and relays and have never had a problem since.

4. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #29 Merak1974, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    What is the highest price a Maserati has fetched at a public auction?

I think a 450S went for about 5 million USD a couple of years ago. I would be surprised if the 300S went for more, but perhaps the Zagato A6G/54 is the one that might achieve that sort of money?

The 5000GT is also a unique car that could go into silly money territory. After all, what do Superamericas and Superfasts go for nowadays? :)

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    He's hardly an official source and this is an internet forum so if Marc can casually get the info from the official source that would be great. Don't abuse the relationship in doing so Marc. :)

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As Maserati fans such questions are understandable but for the most part Ferraris are in another league in terms of pricing. That's what Mr. Market has said for many years now ...

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well ... they certainly weren't put together nearly as well as my 90 Q45 and yes BMWs about that time either. But they weren't terrible cars either. The early USA cars were damn near inoperable due to their ill conceived emission systems. But by 87 all that changed. The fuse boxes for all the ones that came here were terribly overloaded but there are ways to deal with that for the survivor cars. Electrical connectors were 1970's vintage. By the mid 90s the direct ignition and a switch to a far superior electrical system changed everything. It was still an archaic FI system with two separate computers one for each bank but then Ferrari used that exact setup for a time as well on the F40.

Glad to hear you're still cherishing it.

8. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #33 3500 GT, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Agree - estimate is only 1/5 to 1/4 of what Superamericas have gone for in auctions. Almost unbelievable.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ahem got sidetracked sideswamped? I can patent a new word now:)
    Monday it's on my to do list.

11. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Is Fabio back from his holidays ?

12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1 - thank you Marc!

attitude, attitude, attitude

in another thirteen years [spitting three times to avoid the evil eye] I'll be a centenarian; regardless, just added a 412 to the garage. Six years ago met and married the woman who is responsible for me now living in the happiest time of my life...........

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Wow congratulations and Godspeed to you Sir, all thumbs up!

Best regards,

Marc

14. ciscoauto

ciscoauto Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Francois
    #39 ciscoauto, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Same as you even if I love Frua's work.

Touring or Pininfarina have masterful proportions, perfect and simple elegance. Bertone creates more a "shock", but Frua along with Vignale are the one who are full of Details, their interior are imho more luxurious than the others. And it fits with Maserati.
    Frua has often a very feminine design, very thin, elegant, might not be the taste of those who likes more virile design, but with time I love it more and more. The rear lights are typical, so thin.
    Here he went a bit too far with details, too much Chrome certainly with the idea of the american Market. Still, it is a reamarkable car even if the Vignale spyder looks better imho. Although the Vignale prototype didn't look as nice as the "regular" spyder.

Agreed again on the Michelotti 5000 GT, fantastic history but from the design Point of view, it's not my favourite.

But that A6G/54 spyder Frua 3rd series... wow, maybe one of the most beautiful car ever made. Everything is jewellery in that car, the design, the engine, the interior and all the details. Fantastic !

15. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-310140/1971-maserati-indy-49-indy/

Offering my very rare (1 of 39) 4.9 Indy with ZF 5-speed recently restored in Monterey.

Indy comes with factory air conditioning, power steering, Borrani Dial forged wheels, power windows and a Blaupunkt AM/FM radio (which works properly) - making itquite unique and rare. The Classiche documentation tells a story of an April 1971 order of the Indy by Grossman Motor Cars in New York with a production date of September 1971.

The Indy remains matching numbers and Maserati Classiche certified - with all original parts (engine, chassis, gearbox, wheels, steering wheel, console components, radio, jack and tool kit). A full restoration was completed in April 2017 adding fresh paint and interior, new 205VR14 Michelin XWX on all the wheels including the spare, complete mechanical re-build, electrical re-build, re-finished original steering wheel, chrome work, correct exhaust, re-done car seats, correct column switch, and much more. The Classiche documentation accompanies the car, along with the original owner's manual and receipts from all the restoration work.

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Nice car, FYI the steering wheel is on backwards.

17. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the compliment. My Italian mechanic would beg to differ about the steering wheel.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    +1, we are not saying it in an unpleasant way, this is a friendly forum but yes I second that the wheel is back to front. Even poor dear late friend Doug Magnon had the steering wheel of his Khamsin back to front, it is easy enough to correct.

Best of luck with the auction though I wouldd suggest putting Italian Classics with Bonhams, RM or Gooding as opposed to Mecum but then I am biased:)

Best regards,

MS

19. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005

20. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It has been corrected. Thanks for the input.

21. Rrariboy

Rrariboy Rookie

Oct 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Filippo
    #46 Rrariboy, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey, complimenti as the italians say. If alfieri would have made the steering wheel with pin stripe forward, he might have sold more cars. What a beautiful representation of italian muscle, such detail and execution. Driving the maserati 4.9 is an amazing experience as well. I always say, after getting out of them, that's what ferrari was missing! Low end torque! Such a rare and understated car. I cant believe the low production numbers of the 4.9 indy 5 speed. This car will definitely be a great investment for whoever buys it and it is still a car to be reckoned with on the road. I was lucky to see this Indy in person and the mechanic went through everything and i mean everything. The guy even ceramic coated the exhaust and replaced all the original style heat shields on the exhaust. It was difficult to see a difference. The gentleman explained that he had to use fiberglass but it looked original. I guess asbestos isn't available today. The owner should be very proud of this car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    The very first car magazine I ever bought was the January 1979 edition of "Road & Track", which I still have. In the classified section, there was a Maserati Indy for sale. I had never heard of or seen one before, but I thought it was just so cool. Still do. Your car looks fantastic!

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very very nice car, took the time to look at it now, an Indy in that condition, particularly a 4.9 is a true catch congratulations and best of luck with the auction:)

MS

25. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Nembo1777 for the nice comments. They updated the auction to reflect the 4.9 as one of only 39 made for the US with the ZF 5-speed. Factory A/C, Borrani Dial wheels, power windows, Blaupunkt radio - all functioning and Classiche certified.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-310140/1971-maserati-indy-49/