massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris | Page 6 | FerrariChat

massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by VisualHomage, Dec 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Nothing new yet??

2. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    A certain party has offered to finance a P.I. involvement (actually a while ago) but the details of which are not forthcoming.

3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Just ran onto this thread; I usually look (lurk?) in Vintage. John A is an old friend from the early days of the FOC. He did certainly own all the cars mentioned. In fact I sold him the 275GTB/6C after I gave him a fast ride around Lake Hollywood, where I used to live. It was more or less as pictured, but was running and fast as hell. I remember the passenger seat was out, and John had to sit on a box or spare tire for his "sales ride". I do know that the SWB and the MM-winning 0026 were legitimately sold by John, although he *****es that Mike S. took advantage of him in some fashion on the SWB. I think 0026 brought around $1M. I have pix of 0026 when John was selling it. (Derelict).

Now one must understand that John became a true hoarder; maybe he was always one? The pictures do show how his "shed" looked. It would have been very easy for someone with the initiative to move some of the junk and get at the real gold. His house fronted on one street but there was access from the street behind, directly to his "sheds".

About that dash-board paint: John was an old hot-rodder (as was I), but he also had a sense of humor. At one time he had installed an automatic trans in his Lusso, with dash-mounted selector (Corvair?).

Is John a bit eccentric? Yeah. Nuts? I don't think so. Have I added anything? I doubt it.

4. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Mr. Niles, I'm with you. I've seen what can be found in places like that, hoarders who have come of age, and have known some too. Alas, no Ferrari's were uncovered! On properties like John's things grow legs.

It can't be that much of a puzzle to solve: connect the dots, follow the money. A name will pop up. It is somewhat debatable that authorities fail to take action because of someone's appearance.

I remember the press about the barn-find of the SWB well. I was living in Europe at the time, and C&SC reported, with photo's, MS digging it out. I believe the dash was ascribed to some Mexican previous ownership of the car?

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Apparently Andrew's two motor homes were impounded by the city for code violations.

Of course, what we won't be told is if Andrew registered those vehicles and received proper mailed notices from the city's code enforcement, or if he was dodging taxes by keeping them unregistered.

6. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I just read this whole thread and I think I just wasted 30 minutes. What a strange thread.

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    And still no updates?

8. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #133 velocetwo, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    This is one crazy thread and for those readers who have never lived or been in LA it would seem strange or impossible, but this is exactly the strange type of things that do happen in SoCal.

Well you could pay for one registration and lic plate, then just switch it to the car of the day.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The L.A. Morgue actually has a Gift Shop, you can order ball caps and coffee mugs....

10. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    What?? That's so tasteless!

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    All of that is in surprisingly good condition....(and throw in that exhasut sytem on the ground, there)...the hood drew no Bids, (and it's in excellent shape also, IMO) did the car itself sell?

Good find!!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, my friend Amy Farris came home as a box of bones and dust....THAT was tasteless.....but not part of this thread (look in Texas section for the tribute)..

I just noticed it, researching her File...they handle, like, 200 bodies a day...L.A. is a BIG place.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They ARE very cool pictures!

Sets the tone for the story.

I can second the issue on 5 digit VINs, although as No Doubt points out it's VERY important to insure them even as "non running" and the State does indeed call and write me every few years, checking in on "What ever happened to...?"...:D :D :D

In current times the data bases of the insurance and State title offices are linked, (they now scan your Bar Code of the VIN plate for Proof of Insurance on a traffic stop, you'll note) they are mining for the money (of Title registration), but "sitting out in my pasture" is STILL an acceptable answer, oddly enough!!!

14. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Apparently Andrews has finally filed a police report??

Frankly, the silence on this thread smells of embarrassment. Seller's remorse? Cars were unregistered?

Cars were uninsured?

Owner was having personal issues?

Bah. Nothing to do but speculate as to why someone would cry out and then remain silent as soon as the first questions were asked.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #140 El Wayne, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    At first I attacked the validity of the claim made here because I knew that some of Andrew's Ferraris were legally sold. It then became clear that those cars were not the ones being referred to here.

I now find it entirely possible (however unlikely it may sound) that Andrews foolishly failed to document, register, and insure the cars that have gone missing. If true, this is sad in more ways than one.

16. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    ...but don't you see? How can anyone help him remedy his circumstances if he won't describe his circumstances?!

If he didn't register the cars and someone has scammed the registrations, then there are certain methods to employ to counter-attack.

If someone simply physically took the cars, then other remedies come into play.

Were the cars impounded by the city for code violations? Other remedies still.

Is he physically/mentally ill or unnaturally immature? Different remedies again.

He cried out for help. Well, don't leave the deed half done. Out with it!

17. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I was just thinking that! Only in a thread this bizarre does the painted dash fall to the wayside.

18. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    There were things done to cars back then that would put many in this forum into cardiac arrest. How about the 250 spyder that was painted army green with a white star.

19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Possibly the coolest Ferrari ever!

20. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Well, it would explain why no one wants to talk more about it.

21. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    silly coment... we all hold bearer instruments of some kind... the most common is currency... billions are held in bearer bonds... holding an open car title or registration is not unusual... vehicle registration only applies when a vehicle would be operated on public roads... not every possession or property of value is registered or insured... car wholesalers routinely hold their cars on open titles or bills of sale... that is a risk that some are willing take...

in reading about the events, his files containing documentation were stolen / destroyed before any of the thefts occurred... making the theft of the cars an organized preplanned event...

John, as I understand, is actively engaged with the authorities in pursuing criminal and civil action against the perps...

22. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Did the city tow away his Winnebago for code violations?

23. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Never saw this thread before..... weird. Just plain weird.

Jedi

24. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    what a strange and convoluted and fantastic story! thread of the month IMO ...nice one Chad!

25. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

There would be a chain of title from the previous owners. He has to have some record of these cars.