Mature Driving Behavior. | FerrariChat

Mature Driving Behavior.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Flyingbrick242, Oct 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Beautiful sunny day decided to take the 430 on a long freeway cruise....these cars attract attention some good and some that can get us in big trouble. These cars are meant for high speed driving lets face it anything below 80mph its tuff to maintain. Especially with no cruise control.

I'm minding my own business AC on playing some George Strait all of sudden on my left a crouch rocket with his girlfriend hanging on for dear life is egging me on for a race...accelerating then backing off looking back at me the whole time..I completely ignore him thinking what a idiot and not to mention how scared his girlfriend might be. Well he takes off down the freeway after he realizes I'm not interested, all of sudden I see a car approaching at a very rapid pace it turns out is was a CHP patrol vehicle chasing the motorcycle.
    Half mile down the road the bike was pulled over the driver was wearing hand cuffs.

My title is not always easy to achieve it takes allot of self control just curious has this happened to any of you.?
    God Bless this Great country.

Loxo, Need4Spd, bball16 and 3 others like this.
  2. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Funny how I just came back from a freeway cruise, to run her for a bit, as it' been mainly sitting ... A guy in an old Mustang did the same, but he did not try to race me, just going to my side trying to me thumbs up and look at the car... Problem is he had windows tinted so dark, I could not see his signs :) My wife said "he giving you thumbs up I think, I saw the thumb :))

KC360 FL likes this.
  3. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I’m still a hooligan, just a choosier safer one.

Glad that worked out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skidkid, VAF84, ryalex and 1 other person like this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’ve had what I believe was an unmarked Leo try to egg me on…. Seemed strange… did not take the bait. Grey’d out caprice w those little lights everywhere. Drive safe!

NYC Fred likes this.
  5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Flyingbrick242 and one4torque like this.
  6. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I never take the bait... just keep racing for the track :)

Il Tifoso, KC360 FL, Extreme1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So did you offer the girlfriend a ride home? ;-)

G8TD, bw929 and 67bmer like this.
  8. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Mostly its all positive. Most are "give it a rev mate" thumbs up, nods picture taking and always draws a crowd when parked up as well. Fact is they draw a lot of attention we knew that before we bought them. I normally get up really early on a Sunday and go for a long coastal Hoon to avoid other road users as the attention although nice can get a bit much at times, my day is always much longer as a result of talking to people interested in the car. Another fact is, in today's standards our lovely F430's and 360's are not that fast, and you would need to be on your A Game if you came up against a fettled 140i or Golf R.

Wonderful things to drive though, and they are just drama and hairs on end from the time you open the garage to the moment you close it.

Loxo, catdog, hondar and 2 others like this.
  9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Boba— your description should be a sticky! Nice job sir.

boba fett likes this.
  10. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Ha Ha ....I'm sure she would have jumped into anything but that bike.

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Similar things happen on nearly every drive these days.....just like with the forum, I put them on ignore

f355spider likes this.
  12. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I get a lot of Teslas wanting to race me on the freeway here in Silicon Valley. I would bait them for a few miles until they abruptly fall back because the driver need to conserve his battery in order to reach his destination. I have to be careful though because CHPs are everywhere.

Aside from that, exotics are very common here and most people don't really pay that much attention to them.

Loxo likes this.
  13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Seems like this "baiting" has trailed off considerably as of late for me. Not a lot of "challenges" lately. Yet when I got the car seems like that happened once every 3 or 4x I had the car out. The most memorable was a guy on the interstate in a late model Cadillac--- I'm supposing it was one with the LS motor in it. I was with my wife and this guy was a true idiot. Doing just what the OP described the guy on the motorcycle was doing. As usual, I ignored him. As Mario said, I don't race on public roads. That's for the track.

What I don't get is what is this supposed to accomplish. Let's say you indulge the guy and he proves to be in a "faster" car. Am I supposed to lament that I have a Ferrari and not --- insert homogeneous vehicle here-- the car he is driving? Really doubt that I would. I drove 911s for years. Not the king of the road or the fastest car by a stretch. But there was more to it than that for me. Besides I've seen some really impressive track times from guys in these, not the fastest cars, who eat the big brutes for breakfast on the track.

These guys who want to race a Ferrari from stop light to stop light or in a flying mile obviously have no clue about the difference between a sports car that has to make turns and a simple straight line "speed racer" car.

Maranello993 and Flyingbrick242 like this.
  14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I WISH that I would see something like that. Highway patrol actually catching someone who is racing like an idiot... it's usually the same Nissan Maxima with some middle aged guy pulled over.

As far as the baiting BS.. yeah agreed I just put that on ignore.

15. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was driving home the other day, heavy traffic. Three kids on three hot sport bikes rocketed past me and were swerving through traffic so that they could keep up their insane speeds. I thought to myself, "I give those kids 30 seconds before they crash". And, almost right on cue, I got about a mile up the road and the traffic was dead stopped. When I finally reached the clearing, one of the kids was laying on his back, right in the middle of the freeway, his bike a few yards away, another bike parked on the shoulder while his buddy was trying to attend to him.

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Man, that is so sad. I used to ride bikes... I enjoyed track days on bike much more than I enjoy it now in the car... When you are young you think you are invincible, you don't care about anything. Until something like that happens. Hope he comes out ok.

Ray Smith likes this.
  17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anyone who rides a motorcycle where I live is suicidal in my opinion. There are way too many people from, shall we say, "Out of town" who actually think it's bad luck to look over their shoulder to see if someone is in their blind spot. And that's if you're not going twice the speed limit.

henley1, ditpixs and paulchua like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I can personally attest what Mike says is 100% true.

vrsurgeon, SoftwareDrone and ditpixs like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    My hope is these contests of speed will eventually become a thing of the past (off track that is). The trend line points to 0-60 and 1/4 miles in the sub 2s and 9s. The exercise becomes commoditized. A run becomes as asinine as shooting a gun in public randomly.

Hopefully then, a return and focus on true enthusiasts with substance versus milquetoast displays of bravado.

a man can dream.

don’t get me wrong, I enjoy runs, just the ones that don’t put anybody not involved in danger.

Need4Spd and kes7u like this.
  20. Flyingbrick242

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Man I could not agree more...I've been riding a motorcycle for a long time today I simply don't find it enjoyable on So Cal freeway's.
    To reflect on my experience the other day I felt real bad for the girl hanging on for dear life...she must have been so scared.
    I cant figure out if the CHP caught him taunting me then observed him speeding down the freeway or the biker was called in...because that CHP was a long distance behind me when I realized a vehicle was approaching super fast.
    What ever it was I hope the officer gave him more then a stern warning...based on the fact he was wearing handcuffs I would say he will pay the price for being reckless.

21. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    For over fifteen years of ownership, I look forward to my weekend early morning Ferrari cruise. I set my alarm clock to a half hour before sunrise. Have a cup of coffee & head out to the garage to take my stallion for a spirited drive. Most mornings I am the only vehicle on the road. No challenges from other drivers to race & few, if any LEOs to put the kibosh on my Ferrari driving experience. The old adage is true …”the early bird, gets the worm.”

Cheers

Loxo and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You guys are looking for love in all the wrong places. Stay off the superslabs. Country back roads are where you want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Red 27, VAF84, Loxo and 7 others like this.
  23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Something like this happens to me about once a week.
    Was driving home on I-10 after getting gas in the bbi last week, just going along in the fast lane behind a bunch of other cars, in fairly heavy traffic, when I see this guy in some kind of Japanese car desperately trying to get next to me, but there was always another car blocking him...so he then went on a tear zigzagging around traffic to get ahead of me, pulls alongside me, and then accelerated away zigzagging again. I thought to myself that he was going to get picked up driving like a lunatic....and then sure enough, a couple miles later there he was at the side of road with the flashing lights parked behind him...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

I.T. Guy, one4torque, bball16 and 2 others like this.
  24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly, tickets are not so much about speed. They are more about reckless driving. Yea, you can get speed too but it is less common. Pick your moments and have fun.

Texas Forever likes this.
  25. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Many years ago I rode a crotch rocket. So I watch my mirrors and if I see one splitting lanes I move over to give them extra room. I almost always get a thumbs up from the rider. It's courtesy, but it also protects my mirrors.

Ray