Mauro Forghieri interview | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mauro Forghieri interview

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ed Niles, May 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you Jim! You have a PM.

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Good morning:

This might be of interest to some of you: I called l'Ingegnere Friday afternoon, he was very gracious, very friendly and said he would be molto contente to get a copy and asked for one as if it were a big favor: amazing humility.

It really was a privilege to interview him, not something I am likely to forget.

I asked him about that book and in fact it is really his book, his autobiography, with he help of a journalist.

I wonder whether my interview gave him the idea (not relevant but just curious): he does not do that many nowadays: the low number of hits on this thread explains why....unfortunate.

He said it sold very well, several thousand, they had to do a reprint. He is quite happy with it except for two or three mistakes.

The editor is Giunti -I wonder if there is a relation with the late Ignazio Giunti- and he did not know if there were any plans for an English edition....so I am calling them now.

best regards,

Marc

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Has anyone read the book yet? Sounds like it could be a goood one. Marc, please keep us posted on the possibility of an English edition.

Jeff

4. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

There probably won't be one. Even Nada, who is a much larger publishing company has done a lot of books I consider important only in Italian(such as La Sport E I Suoi Artigiani 1937-1965), and never redid the books in English...

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Nathan, Jeff and Dr Schaller:

I have entered in communication with them and am awaiting a response: will let you know, if Giunti is not interested in an English version I can speak to the Ingegnere himself, it is really up to him and should they say no they would have to step aside, one way or another, obviously with some compensation if the contract does not have an exception for other languages they could not just sulk and sit on both the manuscript and their hands.

In the meantime I hope you enjoy part two when Gerald fits it in! I am sure the next issue will be about the splendid RM Maranello hullabaloo though.

It is true that Italy has tended to be a bit too isolated sometimes due to the Alps and the fact that not enough of them spoke English in Modena in the heyday to follow the progress of English racing cars as Paul Frere told me pointedly in an interview (for upcoming books) 6 months before he passed on.

Once traveling from Modena to Turin with Adolfo Orsi when looking at the Alps to the right in the distance I teasingly said look civilisation is just north of those mountains and he replied ma no the Alps keep the savages out:)

best regards,

Marc

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all:

Gerald Roush just emailed me that part two will be in the upcoming issue.

The Italian publisher has not gotten back to me yet but will speak to the Ingegnere again.

Also I make jokes with my friend Adolfo "Rasputin" Orsi but it was he who invited me to the circolo della Biella dinner where I first met the Ingegnere and got me sat at the right table, with him, which facilitated the later interview, so grazie Rasputin!

best regards,

Marc

8. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Pt. 2 now available online - printed copies on their way. Very interesting reading.
    Well done Marc!
    Nathan

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Yes, a very well done interview. Good luck with arranging an English edition of the book.

Jeff

10. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Yes, you can tell that there is so much more information to be had. I hope the book can be translated.

George

11. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    It would be so great to have it in English. Many Ferrari fans will be interested to learn his first hand experiences of all responsabilities.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Grazie but I was just the chappie holding the recorder!

Book publishers haven't answered yet but I know how to deal with Italy and am not letting go of this bone, it is too good:)!

best regards,

Marc

13. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    Off Topic, but may I consider translation of Luca Della Carri's work, amongst other the book "Gli Indisciplinati".

http://www.dellicarri.it/

14. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    That book has been out for quite a few years. It sounds very interesting. I would certainly buy a copy if someone chose to offer it in English.

15. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    Indeed, also as it shows light for the first time in areas of Ferrari's history that remain so much in the shadows. Great interviews with people inside or close to Ferrari.

16. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Always wanted to learn Italian - talk about motivation! :)

Onno

17. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Well, if you are pushing for books done in Italian only that should be done in English, I can send you a LONG list....I have 2 copies of "La Sport E I Suoi Artigiani 1937-1965" in Italian, and one has been used so much it is falling apart!

18. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Does any know how much it typically costs to translate a book? Would it be possible, from a legal standpoint, to get a group together here and split the costs of paying someone to translate some of these books? Costs could possibly be reduced further by doing the translations on a simple platform, like MS Word.

19. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    About three-four words a Dollar/Euro

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    There are more worthy book projects and translations thereof than there are stars in the sky, time and money are the issue; I can tell you first hand experience that car books are not the quick way to your first trillion.

regarding translations it is an art, has to be done the right way (there is an 890 page Maserati book by Orsini (not Orsi different people) and Zagari from about 25 years ago which was a great job for its day but has the worst translation into English which puts you to sleep, impossible to read, every time.

It also has to be done in an entertaining manner without betraying what the writer or person being quoted meant and you often have to reconstruct what they say because a direct translation of a sentence will not work right...anyway I preach...translation pricing also varies a great deal.

It is very time consuming that is for sure!

When I was racing Formula Ford in England 20 years ago I did subtitling for a while as a secondary activity, for the discovery channel Europe, That was quite interesting...for a while.

Calling that publisher this afternoon.

best regards,

Marc

21. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    It's now 2 months (4 issues of FML) since the first part of this great interview was published. Do we have a date for the next (final?) installment?

22. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    It was in the very next issue - Vol34 #11 - 30 May
    Nathan

23. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007