Mauro Forghieri RIP | FerrariChat

Mauro Forghieri RIP

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Nov 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #1 Marcel Massini, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    Mauro Forghieri, born January 1935, one of the great names in Ferrari history and an engineer genius, passed away, aged 87.
    RIP.

Marcel Massini

JL350, Senna1994, Hawkeye and 26 others like this.
  2. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #3 turbo-joe, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    sad to read this
    he may R.I.P.

4. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    A real genius, a true contributor to Ferrari’s success, RIP Ingeniere.

I am reading his book, written with Daniele Buzzonetti, Forghieri on Ferrari, 1947 to Present. It is filled with anecdotes, blueprints… A must read if you want to fully comprehend the legacy he has left at Ferrari but also in Motorsport in general!

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agreed, a great book.

RIP legend, his contribution to Ferrari was enormous.

SFCGenk-Belgium, donv and audi_328 like this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A fantastic engineer and a great interviewee, spent hours with him in 2007 at Oral Engineering for an FML article.

It was a major honor to have that opportunity.

One of the absolute key people in the saga.

RIP Sir.

3500 GT, 365GTC/4, Buchpilot and 8 others like this.
  7. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    I was fortunate to see the evolution of all of his 312 designs race in person, in period - 312B series all, 312T series all, 312PB. Brilliant designs both technically and aesthetically. A fine engineering mind, conceptually thoughtful, and, reading his interviews, a principled man. Ferrari legend - to be fondly remembered with great respect.

8. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Sad news. RIP

365GTC/4 and SFCGenk-Belgium like this.
  9. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Sad to hear. Another of the greats, gone.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Very sad news. Ing. Mauro Forghieri was a wonderful, charismatic genius of a man who contributed massively to Ferrari's success over very many years.

Such a gentleman too. He will be missed by many.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63484290

365GTC/4, mcimino, quailgun and 3 others like this.
  11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I am just one of his many fans. I started writing to him with technical questions years ago about some of the fantastic Ferraris he designed, and oversaw the design of, and he always replied. How amazing is that! Each and every reply from him was so exciting and satisfying to receive.Thank you, Ing. Forghieri for all your great help. As well as the genius he was, he really was such a nice, helpful and likeable man.

RIP, Ing. Forghieri.

365GTC/4, mcimino, markus77 and 9 others like this.
  12. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    May he rest in peace.

SFCGenk-Belgium likes this.
  13. SFCGenk-Belgium

Mar 23, 2021
    Genk
    Full Name:
    Giulio Giulietti
  14. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    I remember reading in a book (I can’t find which one) that Ingeniere Forghieri had the idea of the « angled rear wing » on the 312T2 while having lunch. He saw the tail of the fish in his plate and thought that must be an aerodynamic shape.
    Does this story ring a bell to anyone ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and SFCGenk-Belgium like this.
  15. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Ingegnere Mauro Forghieri.
    Il più grande!

RIP

SFCGenk-Belgium and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    What is little known is that around 1961 when Dallara was briefly at Ferrari they shared an office: two young geniuses: talk about IQ through the roof!
    I also interviewed Dallara in the spring of 2007 at his company headquarters in Varano.

He had TWO trains of though running parallel in his mind. One slow one for the pen pusher across the desk (Moi) and another, mumbled, talking to himself, like a high speed train, which seemed to exist between his hands in his lap.

Well Forghieri was like that, poly everything.

At a dinner of the circolo Della biella in Early 2006 just south of Modena, Adolfo Orsi junior very kindly arranged for me to sit next to Ingegnere Forghieri. Well my Italian back then was nearly non existent but near the end of the dinner he said one more glass of Lambrusco and you'll speak perfect Italian:D.
    That is when I knew he would be an outstanding interviewee! A year later it was arranged.

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

miurasv likes this.
  18. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Was lucky enough to pick up a signed copy. It will go next to Dal Monte's signed biography of Enzo. He brought Ferrari out of the doldrums and returned them to technical prominence and winning.

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    franmort, mcimino, 375+ and 10 others like this.
  20. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Sad news. What a life!

21. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    #23 Doug Nye, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Sad news indeed - though not unexpected. 'Furia' was a complex man - alternately frenzied, friendly, straightforward, outspoken, sometimes manipulative, formidable, entertaining, aggressive, sometimes very humorous, offputting, engaging, then dismissive - above all one of the most significant technicians of automotive history, and especially so of motor racing history...a truly colourful, charismatic, often hugely impressive man. Unpredictable to the last.

Prof Gordon Murray tells a lovely story of accepting an invitation to judge a concours, I think at the Villa d'Este, Como, in Italy, in part because Forghieri would be a fellow judge there. A Ferrari Dino 20SP (one of Gordon's all-time favourite cars) was entered, and when they reached this little jewel Gordon turned to Mauro, professed his love of the design, and said "...you must be very proud of it".

But Mauro just turned his nose up, and growled "Noooo - there was no time, only eight or ten weeks" then added, pointing at each item in turn "Engine - not good enough!" - "Gearbox - not good enough!" - "Chassis! Was sheet!" - "Sospensione! Was sheet!...".

On the other hand - as he told me with a modest shrug - he was to the end of his jam-packed life proud of the Ferrari 330P4, of the 312PBs, and of the 312T.

I last saw him in January 2019 when our mutual friend Franco Lombardi and I visited him
    at his home in the village of Magreta (just outside Modena) and spent several hours with him there that morning before driving the 4 miles or so to the Ca' del Rio restaurant in Casinalbo, for lunch. Then back to Mauro's house within its extensive grounds at Magreta.

When we first sat down at our restaurant table, a very pretty waitress delivered the lunch menus. While Franco and I were studying them, Mauro was having an animated conversation, punctuated by much laughter and smiles, with this charming girl. Their conversation and banter went on for several minutes before Franco said "Errr, Ingegnere...perhaps we should order?".

At which Mauro just spread his hands wide, and replied "Aaaah no hurry..." - indicating our waitress, standing there with one hand on her hip, smiling at what was evidently a daily encounter, while patiently shaking her head ever so slightly - "Let's just relax - and admire the view".

Genuinely - a charmer, and clearly welcomed as one of the resident restaurant family's regulars.

Actually a heart warming memory.

RIP.

Addio Ingegnere - e molto grazie!

DCN

ggjjr, NunoRosso, Buchpilot and 12 others like this.
  22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    A maser! An inspirator! A genius! May he R.I.P.

23. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    franmort, Buchpilot, mcimino and 5 others like this.