Max Verstappen | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I had the privilege of watching Max Verstappen two years ago at our Supernationals karting event in Vegas(Schumacher raced it in 2009). I think he was like 15 years old and the kid was destroying the field until his rotor exploded. It was probably the toughest field of drivers that year as you had multiple world champions from all over the world. Anyways, watch for him as I think this kid can be another Alonso/Schumacher. Kid is amazing.

Max Verstappen joins Red Bull F1 junior programme - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Auggie likes this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He's had very big interest in him throughout the year. There was even talk of him joining Toro Rosso next year (at 17!)...hopefully he'll do a year of formula renault 3.5 or something first before committing to F1. I finally have a Dutchman to cheer for again (I'm not very patriotic though...but it would be nice for once!).

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I hope F1 will be kinder to him than it was to his father.

Jos Verstappen arrived in F1 with only a handful of races in lower categories, and that didn't serve him well. After a promising start, he was sidelined and the offers of a drive soon dried up.

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So not a Ver-gravel-trappen then.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  5. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When I think of his dad I think of the BBQ in 1994 hockenheim. Thank god he wasn't seriously injured.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Relation or not?

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Err.....

Ya think?... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Oops!

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I can't believe what I'm hearing now, but apparently during the next week Toro Rosso will officially name Max as a DRIVER (!!!). He'll be 17 and 164 days old when he starts the Australian GP then, beating Vettel by about 1.5 years or thereabouts. Unbelievable.

Lol, the dutch sometimes called him ''Jos the 'grindbak' Boss''...Grindbak being the Dutch word for gravel trap ;).

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Kid seems to be good, let's hope Red Bull won't burn another talented driver like they are doing to F. da Costa

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Early days yet, but this is pretty impressive;

Seems like he drove well in conditions that can catch many out. It'll be interesting to see what Red Bull do with him next season..... I think I'm with Bas; would prefer to see him do at least a season in GP2 or the Renault 3.5 things before coming to F1. OTOH, back in the day, it wasn't unusual to see guys go directly from F3 into F1.

Little aside; Autosport also had a report from the British F3 race from Thruxton. Only 5 cars showed up! :eek: (versus 24 in the Euro round here). Once upon a time, the Brit series was much more important than the Euro series, but seems times have changed. :(

Cheers,
    Ian

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think because of the cheaper and more competitive F renault UK series most that could find the budget for F3 UK but not for F3 euro simply went to F3 Open, which follows the International GT championship around a lot of Euro circuits so offers them more experience for not much more money that F3 UK.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Verstappen's car suddenly stopped working from the lead on lap 20 :(. His main championship rival Ocon lucked into 3rd.

That's racing I, tough luck once again but at least he was doing very well as per usual :).

14. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    race three he did very well again, coming back from a gridpenalty to take third. The guy really has some race craft and then this is his first season racing cars.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    What was the penalty for?

How are you guys watching this BTW? Would like to have a little look-see.

I just hope they don't force the kid up the ladder too quickly - Even a second season in F3 wouldn't be a bad idea. Hopefully dads experience counts a little......

Cheers,
    Ian

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Good stuff.
    I'm not watching it unfortunately, I followed of the twitter machine.

Motorsports - Spin Those Wheels - Free Formula 1 & MotoGP Streaming Online - Formula 1 SkySports Streaming

They normally have links, up to around 600p IIRC, so decent enough to watch!

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Just checked...he got a grid penalty after an engine change. So not only did he drop out of the race (from the lead) with an engine failure...he then got kicked in the nutsack and will get a 10p grid penalty for the next 3 races (which greeny dreams these ****ing rules up?). Overly harsh and surely to hand Ocon the title...

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I was happy to find the race being live broadcasted on Dutch TV.

I don't think it is a bad idea to postpone F1 to at least 2016, but it is amazing how mature he is behind the wheel. He seems to have a natural feel for where the space is between him and another competitor. And even better, where it will be in the next couple of seconds. And the best thing of all, the kid is barely sixteen and behind the wheel he has...patience!

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Just confirmed at Autosport; Max replaces JEV at the Baby Cans next season!

Hopefully he does OK.... Seems awfully young, no matter how much 'promise' he's shown thus far.

For reasons unknown, I've never been a fan of Tost. Always struck me as kind of a slime ball. He'll toss you out if it suits him I feel. JEV wasn't doing too badly after all.

Cheers,
    Oan

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I still hardly believe it!!

Unbelievable and hope he performs well enough to land a front running seat sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed.

Being a Dutchman obviously I'll cheer for him...first time I can actually be patriotic since his dad left.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    and back then I didn't even really care what his dad did ;).

I've no idea what it's really like to be patriotic as I've left Holland over half my life ago, and I do not care for footballism!

22. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    He's signed for 2015. Jev is out

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Please see post #19. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

24. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Whoops :p you sure got that news out quick!

Hopefully jev gets a drive for 2015. He's not a bad driver by any means

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Sometimes time zones work for us, others against us......

JEV's not bad, but I don't think anyone was expecting young Danny Fiat to be beating him as a rookie this year..... Can't help thinking that's the reason.

Unfortunately, I'd guess he's probably out as I don't think he brings any $ along and the paying seats are all full. Such is the life of many F1 drivers today.....

Cheers,
    Ian