May be moving to Phoenix Area | FerrariChat

May be moving to Phoenix Area

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by captglen, May 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Hi All,
    I just found out my wife may be getting relocated to the Phoenix area for her job.
    Can anyone reccommend a good realitor or a good area outside of Phoenix.
    If I do it I want to do it right. \
    4 bedroom/pool/3 car garage / min 3000 ft.
    Any opinions or thoughts is appreciated
    What should I be careful of ?
    I am pretty active here on the East with the club and C & C on the weekend
    Hope to meet some great AZ peeps
    Thanks
    Glenn

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    There are a lot of great places to live in the Phoenix metro area.

It would be beneficial to know what area she would be working in, but given what you are looking for, the Chandler/Ahwatukee area has exactly what you are looking for home wise. Scottsdale and Fountain Hills will be much more expensive though it will have what you are looking for as well. The '4 bedroom/pool/3 car garage / min 3000 ft.', I would say is pretty average and I've seen homes of that general spec. across the Valley.

I don't want to assume where to be careful of as crime is everywhere.

Have you been to the Phoenix area before? Any areas you liked a lot?

Good luck! :)

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Glenn

You will enjoy the car community out here. Where you want to pick to live has allot to do with where she will be working.

Feel free to contact me anytime, I would be happy to help.

4. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    #4 captglen, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    Thanks AG and Dino,
    My wife is a District Sales manager and will have 15-18 stores spread out over the Phoenix area so we can pick pretty much any place. We drove from Vegas to U of A to see our grand daughter and the traffic was horrible going into Phoenix, worse then Philly. I want someplace outside Phoenix maybe the foothills, I am open to look at everything. I think 1 hour from the Airport would be a good start
    Saw a beautiful 6 bedroom, 3 car garage, 6000 sq ft at 300,000 which is bargain from where we are coming from price wise. Its scary and excitimg at the same time. I have lived in Philly my whole life and am not sure how I will take the pace of things.I am looking forward to the great weather and making some new buddies as well. We are flying out in a few weeks to look at homes and wanted to find a realitor who can show us as many homes as possble for the 3-4 days we will be there. My wifes selling point is I get to drive my car 10-12 months a year as opposed to the 6-7 months I can here on the East Coast...smart woman. Any opinions or thoughts are welcomed
    Thanks again guys

5. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #5 agup48, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    The selling point is so true, the weather here is perfect aside from the blistering hot summer, but no storing the car as you'd do in the winter - that's perfect top down weather and coming from the north, the 'cold' 50 degrees is warm to you! :p

I've never really had problems with traffic during non-rush hours, it moves fairly well, but rush hour times is terrible. One thing you'll have to get used to, and I still haven't, is people who can't drive in the rain, they just can't. Though rain will happen once a year :D

1 hour away from the airport would mean north, so North Scottsdale-Fountain Hills and if you really want to get away...Carefree!

Let us know when you are out here next! :)

Ashwin

6. Kyoso_Joey

Kyoso_Joey Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Joey
    I've been in the market for a few months. It is definitely a buyers market right now but it is more of a cash market. I've lost multiple offers even over asking price to people offering cash. Its getting frustrating. My realter is great her name is Jeanette Sims, you can call/text her at 602-317-4186.

7. GFUracing

GFUracing Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2005
    Ahwatukee Foothills
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    someone still have that phoenix map thats illustrated with each area's typical residences? LOL it will keep ya outta da ghetto. cant go wrong with Ahwatukee!

8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    LOL...isn't that a seller's market!

(IMHO prices have bottomed in *most* spots and are moving upwards for now...some more than others and some areas are still under pressure - especially the very high end.)

9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Welcome. Metro Phoenix is a VERY large place. You can be one hour from the airport in any direction.

That said, the life experience is very different from town to town here. Would need a lot more of what you like in terms of activities nearby, quality of surrounding housing, socioeconomic are preferences, yada, yada, yada...prices vary from $100k range to $10M range...

Price point matters a lot in giving you some feedback too of course...you can also do what I did when moving to a totally new place. RENT! I love my rental house and its allowed me to explore and learn about where I might like before buying anything.

10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yup, prices vary a lot here, and, of course, you get what you pay for generally speaking for all the same reasons prices vary elsewhere...

The odds of any one Metro PHX realtor being useful in more than 1-2 adjacent cities is very small. You really need to pick an area before using *1* realtor. Of course, you could get 3-4 realtors to show you 3-4 different cities...

11. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    I live in Scottsdale, and of course, think it's the best place! Like the comment below, you should pick a general area then get your agent, they're very knowledgeable in their own area. I have a very close friend that could show you Scottsdale. But I'm pretty sure you won't find 6000 sq ft at $300k there. Maybe over in the west valley. That area got hit pretty bad when the housing industry crashed. I'm at the foot of the McDowell mountains in north Scottsdale and its a very nice area.

12. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you're interested, I have a 3100 sq ft, 5 bedroom, 4 car garage with pool in Chandler that may be available. It is currently being leased but may be available depending on your time frame. If not interested, I do know an excellent agent/friend who can help you find what you need.

13. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Thank you everyone for the help and the offer on your house in Chandler. I want to be closer to the Phoenix area and am waiting to hear back from my wife's company and also pre apply for the mortgage before I fly I out. One of the members gave me his brother in laws number and I will be using him. I am from Philly and he grew up here as well so I feel comfotable.
    Thanks again

14. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Scorpions. Just fair warning. No matter where I go..I find scorpions. And snakes and coyotes and spiders. I've been stung 4-5 times by them and once ended up in the ER...and we currently are battling a den of Coyotes inside our gated Paradise Valley community. We've been asked by our HOA to watch our dogs and cats. Did I mention I want to leave Arizona for Colorado?

15. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    #15 captglen, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
    Thanks Ron,
    I guess no doggie doors for me.
    My wife saw sonething she liked in a town called Florence.
    Does anyone know anything about this place ??

16. RareAir23

RareAir23 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Florence=Jail...and rural. Waaaaay too far out.

17. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Best known for its prison, not very nice.

18. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    I get it , We are looking at suburbs closer to Phoenix, possibly the foot hills

19. LukeF

LukeF Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    PHX, AZ
    Full Name:
    Luke Frampton
    #19 LukeF, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Thanks and my wife loves your comments !!!!!

21. ktm805

ktm805 Karting

Apr 6, 2011
    Arizona
    I can't stop laughing. I'm from Scottsdale and you NAILED it with the map.

22. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    #22 AZ-Giallo, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    #23 captglen, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    Things are moving ahead, Was approved on a Mortgage now will need to find a House
    I look forward to meeting everyone at a C & C so I can put faces with names. Not sure when still waiting for my wife's company to give us the details, How often do you meet, 1st Sat. of every month ?

24. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    There are lots of other shows, but yes, Cars and Coffee is the 1st Saturday of every month - www.scuderiasw.com

25. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Thanks for the link !