May trip: Please tell me about Paris and the Montmartre area... | FerrariChat

May trip: Please tell me about Paris and the Montmartre area...

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    We have a trip scheduled that includes staying in Montmartre as well as a Tauck river cruise. What can you tell me about Montmartre from first hand experience? Hotel recommendations? Crime and safety? Have to do activities? Since this is Ferrarichat, any car related museums or activities in the May time frame?

I did find this but touring Paris in a CV would be like touring in a VW. I'd rather tour in a Facel Vega. Too bad we couldn't have gone during Retromobile.

https://www.viator.com/Paris-tours/Classic-Car-Tours/d479-g12-c32042

I am concerned about the strikes. No one wants to visit anywhere with this going on. Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

https://apnews.com/article/france-retirement-macron-protests-government-noconfidence-vote-a3dddbcb812a452d567c5350a803a3ab

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The Montmartre area is very interesting but is super touristy. It’s absolutely packed with visitors, especially on weekends…think Bourbon Street or Times Square.

I always stay in the much more residential 7th arrondissement on my annual visits to Paris.

That being said, Paris is a relatively compact and walkable city so if you have any mobility at all you can easily walk to all of the other areas.

Since Macron won the no-confidence vote his pension reforms will go through. This will only incite more rioting and strikes. Having lived through a few garbage strikes in NYC I can tell you that this is the worst aspect of the troubles in Paris. The streets will absolutely reek, especially as the weather gets warmer. I am so concerned about this that I haven’t made my usual plans to visit Paris yet…I’m waiting to see how this all unfolds.

Crime in Paris isn’t as bad as many other European cities (Barcelona, Naples, etc.)…just keep your wits and watch out from scams.

I’ll be happy to answer any other specific questions you may have.

Good luck!
    Alan
    N.J.

Texas Forever, bball16 and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes wait to see how the strikes and trash situation pan out.

I lived ten years in Paris and would not stay in Montmartre; you might as well watch that stupid show Emily in Paris, like the show it is too kitschy, touristy a neighborhood. It is also particularly hard to handle with cars, very narrow streets, no parking. I would stay in the 1st, 7h, or 8th arrondissements.

From the airport take the Air France pulman bus service; fixed fee, very comfortable ride to a choice of two or three destinations in Paris from where you can take a taxi or public transport for the much shorter ride to your hotel. The buses know how to work the traffic whereas taxis, ubers don't care how much time your journey takes, to the contrary, they might milk you via a longer itinerary and are usually grumpy. Of course a chauffeur driven car is the best way if you really want to ease your arrival. You can pre book that.
    May is a great time to visit Europe with spring in bloom and no summer crowds.

You could see Versailles just 30kms away and the Loire valley castles a couple of hours south. Lots to do:)!

bball16 likes this.
  5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    We're also doing a Tauck river cruise in Paris this summer, I'm hoping that between the boat and the tour company we won't have any issues with the strikes. Also a good chance it all gets resolved by then.

6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery