Mclaren 570s vs huracan | FerrariChat

Mclaren 570s vs huracan

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by bocaf430, Sep 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I have been thinking of getting into a 570s.... but the past few days I have seen a few huracans around and they are growing on me.... Has anyone here driven both to compare? I have had a Gallardo before, and I have a F430... the McLaren to me seems to be more of a tame everyday exotic that when needed its a beast...where I think the huracan might be more of a beast all the time?....just my feelings, I have NOT driven either..yet. Any thoughts....feelings?

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    in favor of mac is claustrophobic interior feel of huracan (unless considering convertible versions). in favor of lambo is the na motor vs turbo. what do you think of swan doors? personally, I hate them.

do you want awd or rwd huracan? what about audi r8 v10+?

3. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Huracan and 650 now 720 all occupied/occupy my garage. Huracan 610/4 is a very fun car, Interior not cramped, just fairly useless storage space. Great drive, really fast, prices getting reasonable. 650 also outstanding car, better than 488, and miley ones encroaching on 570. 570 nice, but LOTS on ground, so I'd pick between Huracan and 650. And save every last nickel for a 720.
    Look at CPO MP12C's too. Dirt cheap, really great car for $$
    Audi R8v10 is ruined by crap box, and lame dealers for me. I don't care brand, but for many "OOOOh my new 160k Audi" vs "OOOOOh my new 200k Lambo, Mac, et al" is non sequitor :)

redcaruser likes this.
  4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    what do you mean by crap box? has same awesome dct trans as huracan

5. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Huracan had dct in 15.
    Old body R8 had in 14 but nobody really knew. New body R8 has dct.
    So yes, the new R8 vs Huracan have same box. That said, R8 does not go down road like Huracan. Similar components but Lambo development >>Audi. R8 feels like a “universal generic fast car”. Not sharp, not endearing, no “I’m going to try to kill you now” moments. Zero personality. Zzzzz.
    My opinion. But lots of miles in them, new old, stick, crap box, dct. Never even considered buying one.
    Huracan crushes it, makes you giggle and pound it harder.

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i agree (somewhat) with that comparison

7. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Funny I was thinking about same thing a month or so ago.

570 is fun, but Spider is only one to really get at this point. And yes there are a ton of them already sitting at dealers (hello winter time).

I owned the 610 Huracan and it sounds amazing. If I bought another Huracan it would be 580--it's a more fun/looser car on the backend of course. There is a redesign coming, so might want to hold off a little.

Waiting for 720 to tank after first year and look at secondary on one this time next year, once 2019's are out.

Both good choices and nice discounts currently on both. If you go 580, PLEASE get 20" and not 19" tires.

8. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Neither the 650 nor the 570 have tanked much. Certainly in 15-16 the 650 softened, but now people are driving the 12C, they've all firmed, or at least slowed. Used 650 decent value now, 570's on ground concerning. Interesting thing about 570. Buyers often are new to sportscars, not migrating out of Porsche or Ferrari.

Since the 720 is far better than the Huracan (I loved my 610, prefer 4wd with rear bias switch to 2wd) and the 488, I'm less convinced the 720 will tank. Production will be fewer than the 488/replacement, so that keeps more exclusive.

488 dropping off far more precipitously than 458. Still have the obligatory run-out models and "exclusive track car" with spider so dealers can command more fellatio. Seems to be dropping more than the Huracan, actually.

9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    570 coupe hasn't tanked? Have you seen prices? Some one posted a real world trade on a 570s coupe ($240 sticker) and dealer paid him $150. That's not a great holding of value for a year. No one buys as investments--get it. But $90k in a year on a $240 car--ouch. And that is about what dealers are paying today. It's not pretty. And yes, I'd bet $1 that 720 will do the EXACT same thing. They will over produce the things as they always do later in cycle and there are only so many $330k car buyers. I think it's actually going to be ugly. Then again 488 hasn't exactly been holding up too great, but will be much better than 720 by a mile. Come back here in a year so I can collect my $1.

10. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Considering that you analyze the market and call dealers all over the place; I thought that you would have a better understanding of how this works.

A $240K MSRP 570 is equivalent to a $270K Cali T. Very rare but they do exist. 10K miles and both cars are going to tank severely. I was offered a $270k MSRP Cali T and a FF for close to $400K to get into a TDF. With full disclosure the dealer told me to expect losing $100K on cali t and $100K on FF after one year.

Most 570's MSRP are in the $205K to $210K range.

570 with msrp of $205K and 5K miles per year has a lease residual value of $150K after two years (hard data from a relative of mine).

11. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I get how it works. And actually most Macs are in the $216 range. But whatever your point, mine is 720 will tank. Enjoy.

Since you enjoy losing $100k a year 720 will be ideal for you.

12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I just looked at Manheim auction results. The wholesale number for a low mile 16 570 is $150-160k as of 12/1 auction. 17's are $170-180k over last 2 weeks.

Nobody pays MSRP for a 570 or 911TT, which are literally on top of each other in msrp and wholesale. And MSRP on trade means NOTHING. Lack of options hits far more, and CF dingleballs and weird options take away.

The dealer did well on that trade, back of wholesale if car nice. Owner saved $9300 on trade sales tax based on 6.25%. If wholesale is 150, retail per Manheim is $156-164k. So I think your 90k is delusional. That said, I have zero interest in 570. I did fine on my 650, sold outright.

I bought a 720. Fastest street car I've owned, and I'm deep into 300's over 40 years. IDGAF depreciation. I've made tons and lost tons, but it's enjoyment. And friends.

If you honest to god think a 720 will be 220-275 in a year, you have no clue. That's where 650's sit 2yo, and the 720 is far better car. Mine was 380 out the door. I don't want to sell it at all. A car that's as fast real world, not N'ring, as many cars 2-3x price is worth it. Yes it'll drop, but 100k is idiotic.

Don't buy 720, stick it in CD's or IPO's. You'd just drive it to the club and nice restaurants and leave it in front. :D jk.
    Keep your 458 if you still have it. Great car, I loved my Speciale.

BTW, 16 488 B's are dry on auction market, but 6 mos ago were 285k with 5-600mi. Dead stock on eBay, 26 on there now. Asks in 285-290.

I think depreciation threads are useless, like stick vs. paddle, or what color best for resale threads.

Glad you feel smug about this, especially with a whole $1 on the line. Until you've driven one, rather than gathered anecdotes, you have no clue. Cost of everything, value of nothing. :confused::rolleyes:

I already have enjoyed. Easily 50k worth already. Life's too short, I'm a dead man drivin'.

rockminster likes this.
  13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    $90k loss is NOT delusional. Many 570 buyers did pay full sticker when they came out, just like 720 owners are. I know the person that sold for a $90k loss...and don't start with tax savings BS--you are starting to sound like a dealer.

Net/net if you don't care then dealers love you!

Others do care and for those, just go in with eyes wide open.

Simple.

Go enjoy your car.

14. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    LOL. Yes, it's quite delusional. I showed you hard data. It took WORK for him to lose 90k. Hard loading an 'entry level' car is foolhardy at best, trading soon even more myopic. And 9k of tax puts him at 160, so 80k. Unless you want to add in insurance, gas money, detailing etc. :confused:o_O
    Money he spent he doesn't have to spend. Isn't wealth management minimizing taxes, preserving capitol, and using OPM while yours is doing far better??

Perhaps I think like a dealer. They DON'T get porked on every trade. Kalifornia, FF, they depreciate a LOT. Actually, Ferrari props up market now with their "hard to get" BS.

If you can't pay cash, or play at the level, OK. Your problem. If you don't like depreciation, buy at bottom, or a Camry or F150. Nice safe whatever.

Just because I can pay cash doesn't mean I will. Cap gains and growth vs cheap paper for same thing? Ummm, eyes wide open yes. You ranting unrealistically when I've done this for 40 years and never buy anything that I can't pay for with cash is ultimately a waste of time. You should know these things. If yes, then you're ranting against inevitable. Which is pointless.

All of us should enjoy what we have. If it doesn't take away from necessities, so what? I had to retire at 53 because leukemia. I'm not ranting about don't get leukemia. Yes it cost me. SFW. I'm not dead yet, and I've seen my kids for 5 years more. Put a price on that, then rant.

15. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    As I said enjoy your car.

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I hope the 720S sinks like a stone in price I’d love buying one for sub $250k with low miles.

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    As much as I would love a new 720 (have been offered 2 at MSRP), I've got to believe that 2-3 years down the road (tops), there will be quite a few at 50% off. I just don't like throwing money away, and the fact that I've never lost money on a Ferrari, makes it extra tough to swallow. I am not exactly taking the bus right now, either! But that 720 just keeps calling me! It's the only new car in years that has me lusting like a kid! :)

Just this afternoon, I started getting texts from a dealer w/a 720, and while I was texting, I get a phone call from a lovely British women who was from....... McLaren UK. She mainly wanted to know why I haven't bought yet. I told her my 2 reasons were:

1. As I like doing some of my own work, it looks like you can't even see the engine in these cars, let alone do your own services without taking the car apart.

2. Depreciation!

I asked her if McLaren were even thinking about how to protect their customers. She couldn't answer me, but has heard this objection before.

18. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    720's are not hard to find in the US (if you call around).

Now as to depreciation, you have to just shut up and take the hit--if you believe everyone here. Anything less you don't have the money to afford one and these are not investments. That is what many here have you believe--all crap.

You're spot on--PLENTY of us can afford one with no issues, but speaking for myself, I like to keep as much money in MY account as possible (not toss it out the window because). HENCE, one has to be cautious with Mac. There is NO other way around it when it comes to depreciation. 720 will be just as bad (or worse because of price point).

There are two buyers. One's that don't care and losing money is cool--dealers LOVE them. Then there are buyers who prefer to look at where their dollar can be maximized. AKA, those who care about their money--and they have plenty of it because of that.

Mac has EVERYTHING to prove depreciation wise on production non LE cars. Will 720 be the one...um, no. BUT, if you love the car enough and still love your money, then grab one and enjoy the hell out of it. I think the car is amazing in many ways, and just prefer to wait a year to grab one 30% off+ (especially these higher sticker launch cars).

Rock on with what you are comfortable with. NO one here (not me) is saying 720 is a bad car.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    When I bought mine I thought about depreciation for a minute but it really is no different than a new Ferrari. If you buy used then you minimize your downside. It is what it is. The 720 will depreciate a lot or a little more so based on the economy. Right now people are spending but that may not be the case in 2 years. The car is in its own class, in order to compete with it you have to spend a lot more whether you want to accept it or not. This alone will help hold its value to some extent.

Will it be worth a $100k less in a year? I hope not and I don't believe it will. Regardless, for me I would rather be enjoying the car vs. dreaming about something that may or may not ever happen.

20. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    IPO1
    Your summary of what people have said is not accurate.
    No idea what your experience is.
    I can post real time data on 488, 570, 991tt, whatever.
    The fact you ignore that tells me much.
    Your dogma is anecdotal at best.
    Whatever. This is a 570 vs Huracan thread anyway.
    Idgaf if anyone else buys a 720. Most of them will be garage queens that never hit a track, or far side of 140.

And to the guy who’s never lost money on a Ferrari:bwahahahaha.

21. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Have not clue what you're trying to say...go drive your 720 and enjoy it.

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    For the illiterati
    “Now as to depreciation, you have to just shut up and take the hit--if you believe everyone here. Anything less you don't have the money to afford one and these are not investments. That is what many here have you believe--all crap.” IPO1

That’s NOT what I said, nor anyone else in this thread. Someone like you that hangs on to every last nickel but has “enough $” meets definition of a miser. Ok.

I have enjoyed my 720. Which has no bearing on 570/Huracan. I’d buy a Huracan as it is more fun than 570.

So go count your pennies McDuck, and learn to read. I’ll enjoy my 720 without your condescending brush off, and be sure and update us with penny count and 720 hunt in 2021.

23. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    There is the Mac owner attitude that is so prevalent in Mac forum.

For the 100th time, go enjoy your 720. It's a great looking car. Don't know what else to tell you.

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The off handed remarks telling someone that just spent almost $400k that they made a bad purchase doesn't sit well. Perhaps not your intention but exactly how it comes across. Then you sit back and wonder why you don't get a favorable response. I believe you know exactly what you are doing with the comments about cars everywhere and depreciation, etc. You are intentionally provoking people. Personally I don't care but when you say something silly about "mac owners I felt compelled to respond. I am also a Ferrari, Porsche, Range Rover and owner of other makes so your comments should reflect all of these marques as well.

If you can't afford a new car or unwilling to take the risk on depreciation that shouldn't be a knock on others. Keep telling yourself you will find a deal one day, we will be on to the next thing. Its all good just have some more respect, not everyone thinks like you.

Sfumato likes this.
  25. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #25 IPO1, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    My opinion also stated (multiple times) the 720 looks great, is fast, etc. Never bashed the 720 for those that want to enjoy it now. I'll wait until next year--is that an issue...not for me.

Give me a break as to who can afford what--you have no clue. Not even going to waste my breath trying to reply to the rest of your babble.

Don't get so bent out of shape by people having OPINIONS, and I'll tell you the same thing as the other guy--go drive your 720 and enjoy. I love the car.

Does that really offend you? I'll prescribe you a chill pill no charge.

It's only a car--bigger things to get bent out of shape about.