McLaren 600 LT!? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

McLaren 600 LT!?

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by iloveferrari, Jul 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why? The depreciation curve on it has been better than most exotics so far.

ScottS and tekaefixe like this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    If a 720 is such great property then you should buy one. At least that way you will have a car to drive.

MANDALAY likes this.
  3. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza

he is correct. the depreciation curve has outpaced most exotics up to this point anyway... we are two years into it. yes, i bought one.

dustman and ScottS like this.
  4. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    you are correct on the prior models for sure... i.e. 12c, 650 and 675. But outside of the carbon tubs, the platforms of the current lineup are completely different. 570 resembles very little of 720 or senna (570 uses more aluminum than carbon).... same with senna and 720 - two very different looks, feel and focus. When the P1 replacement comes out (B23), it will be completely different as well. the 720 spider that will eventually come out will look completely different than 720 coupe...wont have the same full carbon tub, doors will be completely different, it will be an all glass retractible roof etc.. the more production limited versions will always look like a variation of their more higher production cars and this is no different than any other band... the 458 and 488 have very strong resemblances to each other and as do their spiders and limited production models. Mclaren is starting to follow the same trends as other supercar brands after their initial start.

so the trend has changed... the cars are looking/feeling much different than their past line-ups. Depreciation issue has gotten much better and they are investing a lot in R&D. this is unbiased. a lot of credit is due to a company that this putting everyone on their toes.... its a good thing for the industry.... no one has room to be complacent. The changes have been swift IMHO.

shawdut likes this.
  5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    The 600LT sounds really good, hearing it going up the hill at goodwood sounds just as good as 488.

As for turbo lag, a lot of this is simply being in the wrong gear. If you mash it in 7th gear at 40MPH, yeah, theres lag. These auto DCTs have created a bunch of people that no longer have the knowledge of how/why cars work and just expect everything to work automatically, all the time. Drop it into manual, down 2 (or 3) gears and find a canyon road, you wont be feeling any lag.

Ive got an F40 which is amazing but if you want to talk about real lag then we can have an honest discussion.

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    McLaren is introducing new models at a rapid pace. For lovers of high end cars, this is exciting. However,some may question this as a prudent business model to pursue. Nothing annoys an exotic car buyer more then spending huge sums on the model that is the latest and the greatest to discover a year later, a new and improved version is being introduced. This will certainly adversely impinge upon resale values and will create reluctance to purchase the newly introduced car since a better version of it will be on the horizon shortly.

iloveferrari, MANDALAY and Shadowfax like this.
  7. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    introducing a limited edition model like an LT is no different than a speciale etc... they aren’t introducing at a rate you think they are. They have a 570, 570 spider and 600LT for Sport Series line; 720 for super series which will have a spider version in a year or so followed by a limited run 720LT. The coupe 720 will be out over 3.5 years before spider is out.

than off course they have the ultimate series which is the Senna at one price point and an eventual P1 replacement at another price point.

You are right, initially they whipped them out but now, McLaren models are following a normal product life cycle. remember, Ferrari has a couple of models out as well.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    McLaren has announced 18 new models will be introduced by 2025.

9. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    This crowd appears to be 100% Ferrari devotees. Sure it’s a Ferrari forum but surprised to see so many people bashing 600LT before the drive reviews even come out. Don’t some of the detractors own multiple brands/cars?

The 600lt is a great way to class up the huracan perfmorante crowd/price point. Compare it to cars in its class and it looks to be an amazing car. I’ve got one coming simply because I like the exhaust exits. Very unique. It’s not a 488 competitor though it does outperform the 488 but they are different classes.

I’m hoping for big things out of my Pista. If it doesn’t outperform my 720, Ferrari has some serious headwinds to face when the 750LT comes out.

sainthoo, nmcclure and tekaefixe like this.
  10. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I’ve never been a big fan of Mclaren, still am not. I drove a 720S and felt it wasn’t for me. With that said, the 600LT seems like it will be a hit. It likely won’t be a keeper for me, but I’m looking forward to driving it and experiencing Mclaren ownership. Depreciation is a concern and I do question Mclaren’s plan to pump out new cars at lightning pace.

I’ll be keeping the spec of my 600LT low. $240K bass with mine likely coming in at $260K. For reference, the grey launch car has an MSRP of around $320K, which I think is way overpriced.

11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's actually pretty normal. I can think of like 15 near certain models that would fit into the 2025 timeline -- coupes, spiders, LTs, LT spiders for both Sport and Super Series, both Sport and Super Series replacements, and a couple low volume Ultimate Series cars like Senna/P1.

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah, you'll lose your ass if you spec a mid 300K 600 LT, but if you spec it nicely without $100K of CF, you'll have decent residuals, especially if they car gets as good of review as all McLarens have been getting in the last few years. They've been on roll since 675LT as far as press coverage goes.

13. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    #38 spourreza, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    fair points for sure. lets also note that the 570 base car has almost similar performance numbers of the 488 despite being in a “lower class” - McLaren is spending a lot on R&D to make sure its performance remains best in class. I think Ferrari has already begun to face headwinds but thats how they will get better after being a bit too complacent, in my view. Supercar market is hyper competitive. Pista is going to be awesome but not sure it will perform anywhere close to a 720 but time will tell. All great cars and its super fun to watch the matchups! hence why in own/owned multiple brands like many here.

sainthoo, tekaefixe and nice like this.
  14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I wouldn't call this similar: http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel5623-5721.htm
    Everybody seems to agree that Ferrari is on top of their game, not only figures-wise, but as a driving experience as well.

roccob01 likes this.
  15. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    570S has always been tested on the old Corsas though whereas the 488 is often on Cup2, which if I'm not mistaken isn't even an option.

In a straight line they are just about the same whereas the 488 is a smidgen ahead on lap times I think.

16. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    Reduce the weight by 100kg (lt vs 570). Increase the power to 590 then calculate power to weight. LT ahead by a good amount. Also keep in mind mclaren often under estimates the true power their cars put out.

17. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    right. 720s dyno was over 800 hp. and lets remember that 570 is a starter mclaren and 488 is not for Ferrari. I own and love both brands but lets take blinders off.

18. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    Mclaren to me is a rather new brand whereas I’ve loved Ferrari sense birth. I never liked the 12c. Was going to buy a 675lt but wasn’t comfortable in the race bucket seats. The 720 was my first mclaren and I’m on 2nd 720. Great car imo. My first was a launch spec/striper so I was able to recoup almost all of my money. My 2nd car is high msrp/mai car and I’ll probably lose $40k over 6 months. No great but not major. Most low mike used cars are still asking around msrp but I’m sure trading hands at lower amounts.

I think you will be very safe with a low spec lt (especially with an early allocation and if you sell within 6 months). I see this car holding value very well for the first year because it’s a track spec car (hot segment) and very affordable/lots of 2nd hand market demand. Plus this car will likely outperform a huracan and used Huracans area still ~$200k usd.

But with the old 12c horror stories, it’s fair to be cautious with the brand. Any they have been swapping models quickly. However I think a big reason for all of the models by 2025 is the transition to electric/hybrid.

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I have personally seen 488s being tested on plain P Zeros. Even if we assume that you are right about the Cups though, the in gear performance is telling and traction has nothing to do with it.

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The stopwatch will tell. And in the case of the 570 vs the 488, it has spoken already.

21. Matt_337

Matt_337 Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I owned a 2016 650 spider and was absolutely happy with the car and was willing to lose some money on resale just based on the 12c numbers (assumed the 650 would do better).
    When this 600lt was announced, I was pretty excited. I called my local dealer and asked to be put on the spider list for next year. I also had a friend who was interested in my car so I spoke numbers with the dealer. It was at this point the numbers actually hit me as far as depreciation on my 650. This caused me to stop by Ferrari of Houston and see what other options were out there.

Long story short, I traded in the 650 towards a 2015 speciale in white and got the car 2 days ago.

I am not one of those that only care about resale value. I’ve lost plenty of money on cars and that’s fine. I knew what I was getting into. I’m just trying something new for myself. Getting the car I’ve lusted after since it was introduced and trying to lose the least amount of money.

Just my $0.02 on what steered me away from the 600lt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Helloooo! You do know you're on Ferrarichat? - not Maclaren Life.:D

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can often see the magazine articles on fastest laps by clicking the time and then the publication link. I checked 3 just to make sure I was at least partially right, and all 3 had it on Cup2 (K1).

The in-gear performance is a result of Ferrari's boost by gear, anti-lag thing. It would probably be quicker in a straight line if they allowed for some lag. Fair trade off IMO. The lap time is all about traction though since the 570S is in fact pretty traction limited. They intentionally put really narrow tires on it, relatively speaking. I'd be shocked if the 600LT wasn't as quick or quicker than both the 488 and 675 LT.

24. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    noone1 McLaren are saying the 600LT is quicker than 675LT and 488 pista

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    https://www.motoring.com.au/mclaren-reveals-600lt-performance-113587/

They are saying AS fast to 100 but not 200. Many cars are now doing sub 3 sec to 100 so its a nothing claim really. It's from 100 up that matters these days (in the performance claim world - along with NR times).