McLaren 720S - 2017 | Page 34 | FerrariChat

McLaren 720S - 2017

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by dros1, Dec 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    love this model, hope to have one

2. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Watch "REVIEW: McLaren 720S, a true supercar?" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/NKigmMDDv04

I agree with everything except I think it sounds better than he makes it out to be. Its like the journos have to follow what the last guy said, or they have to come up with SOMETHING to seem legit, I dunno. 720S has a good balance of sound if you ask me. Whatever, the driving experience is spot on though.

Edit: and yes definitely use ESC dynamic that should be on by default :D

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    That was good review. Seems mac tried to combine practicality and speed of ptts with drama and looks of ferrari. Smart.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

"the idea of making an everyday supercar to some will appear to be oxymoronic"

And I think that's one of its issues-- plus or minus depending on your view. Do you really need a $300,000 super car that acts and sounds just like a Camry when toddling around town?

But I think they built a winner here. I can see it's appeal if the styling is something you like or can get used to. Over time it may grow on people, unlike the Corvette C7 which looks worse over time.

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    saw this car in person on saturday. drop dead gorgeous in the flesh. the front headlight treatment is very nice when seen in the overall design. nice departure from the others out there.

6. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Bob, part of the noise thing is Swiss regs, part is the way people get pissed with loud sports cars. I hate droning on trips , it's tiresome. The sport exhaust is reasonably quiet until you light it up. Where I live traffic rolls 80-85 most the time so 100 is easy, safe. In countryside, ranchers roll Duallies at 80+ on twisty stuff, one cute girl in a diesel ram duallie hit apices so well I just tagged behind her. Trail braked and everything, it was a stick. Few morons save 45 mph Hardleys in packs on weekends. I have 300mi route that I may see 1-2 cops max, and 5-6 cars total. One 30 mi stretch has nothing other than 3 driveways. No cell coverage, no gas, nada. 1/2mi sightlines.

Lucky to be able to run on road, and COTA is 50mi away.

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Here's a pic I took at night. Eye sockets trick air intakes, and lights, drls cool [​IMG]heres my color, orange is too loud for me. Dark makes dead eyes like a shark. [​IMG]

8. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    LOVE that spec. Mine is orange but had no choice in the matter. Will order a custom spec once it opens up. Probably going grey as well. Not going overboard with CF splitter as I (gently) smacked my 675LT into a parking curb and that was a rediculously costly mistake.

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I passed on f/r carbon splitter and tray too. Useability >> looks. Carbon intakes and eye sockets a must. Launch spec limited but I got my first choice.

One of the nicest dealers I've done biz with, easily top ten in 45 years. They wanted someone to drive crap out of it.

Have to live long enough to get LT.2. Wait really getting painful. Volcano red 650 was gorgeous, but too easily spotted over long distances.

Funny thing about Macs, most people friendly about overtakes, move right.
    Never happened in modern Ferraris. Huracan nice too, was white. Funny. My little old wagon looks serious so many move over but nothing as good as McLaren.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Did they say when you can get one?

11. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    First one behind demo. Has vin, was in qc last week. Hoping early July, outside chance end of June. Pound pounded so need to invoice asap (or bump #). Thanks again Brexit. And they need the $ to find a new F1 motor. Probably both. Frefan has vin as well, I'd guess Mark has one by now. My store only has 1 customer vin, mine, so hopefully will ship early batch of cars rather than hold.

12. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark

Yes I got my VIN. Probably won't see the car until sometime in August. The one I chose (Memphis red performance edition) was a little further down the delivery list so they should get a few before mine.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's pretty quick.

14. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #839 ekovalsky, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been a lurker here as I had anticipated buying a 458 or 488 for my 50th birthday next year. A rear engine sports car is next in line to join my other vehicles, a Mercedes AMG S63 Coupe (daily driver) and Hummer H1 Alpha, and my wife's Maserati Levante.

Last year I looked at the McLaren 570 and like it a lot, but I couldn't pull the trigger. It was awkward getting my 6'2", 195 lb frame in and out through the dihedral doors and over the high carbon fiber tub. The IRIS system sucked. And I much preferred the suspension of the 650, and it's active aero is of course cool. Knowing the P14 was in development I wouldn't consider a 650 at that time as I was concerned about excessive depreciation, particularly since a friend got burned on his MP4-12C a few years ago, and remains bitter about it to this day. That concern was valid, at present there are some outstanding deals on the 650.

While I have not seen one in person yet, from photos and videos the 720S looks absolutely brilliant. I think McLaren hit this one out of the park. The overall design is reminiscent of Pagani, the new Monocage and doors are phenomenal and should make entry and exit much more graceful, and the stroked Ricardo V8 with twin scroll turbos is pushing performance towards P1 territory. The interior is nicely improved with a good new infotainment system and available B&W audio.

The local dealer is supposed to receive a 720S soon, I'm excited to see it in person. Should a Glacier White LE become available I might consider one, otherwise I plan on reserving a configurable car for delivery next year sometime.

This is the build I made using the online configurator. I made a spreadsheet from a price list. As with all exotics the options add up quickly, particularly when selecting carbon fiber bits. Generally McLaren option prices seem to be a bit less than Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Nailed it. I think there is actually a pipe organ on board.

16. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Test drove the 720 today. For my taste, a supreme GT car. Extremely fast, very quiet and calm. Great steering feel. Nicer inside than all previous Mc. I have seen the car a number of times and had high expectations of the drive. Those expectations were exceeded.

Even though it is not the track focused car, I have to track her. The rapid acceleration must be felt on the straightaway, and the huge air brake will be fun heading into the apexes.

17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Haha it does remind me of nautilus.

18. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Its a luxury rocket ship.

You will find ingress/egress of the 720 is no problem. It's like getting in a convertible with the top down.

I'm driving one (again) at Goodwood in a few days. Some track time too, looking forward to it!

19. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    #844 DoctorV8, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Wow, I'm getting the same car here in Houston. When is yours supposed to reach here? Which dealer?

20. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sounds like a great car, thanks for the post.

21. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    When you drive it, you will realize its the greatest car produced in the last 5 years.
    How much farther can the automobile go?
    To me its the modern version of the 2005 /2006 Ford GT
    and the Ferrari 458
    Everything else under a million is not even a contender

22. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    When did you drive it and where?

Joe

23. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Joey, send me a pm, will hook you up.
    Joe, Like me you've been blessed to drive it all.....
    You wont believe it.
    Fit, finish, dealer support, warranty, leathers...
    I always appreciated McLaren but it wasn't me.
    This car is sports car/ LUXURY for a guy with a touch of grey;)

24. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I drove the 720S on the Goodwood track it's insanely fast and capable. I'd say it's more than capable as a 675LT or speciale even though it's not a track car.

25. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    The car that killed the new FordGT and so many others.....
    Someone else can post the new revised top gear stats
    I fell in love from its launch only 4 months ago
    It will be in the driveway in even less time!
    The reviews, YouTube videos and all the rest don't lie
    The question after this car is where does it end?