MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 109 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What are your lap times in the Performante thus far? Has you tracked it yet anywhere that we can look at the times to compare against other cars?

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

When all you know how to do is read the stats in a magazine and use that as the basis of your experience, I guess you are right. The 720 is "better"

If you actually drive both cars, you will realize there are pros and cons to every vehicle. The 720 is the fastest car I have ever driven. However, what I didn't like about it is the turbo lag. It doesn't take away from what a great vehicle the 720 is but neither does inferior stats take away from how incredible the 488 is.

stavura and Shadowfax like this.
  3. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

All enthusiasts win when competition gets better. But the gap between Ferrari and McLaren is huge, absolute performance is not the only measurement metric for many enthusiasts.

McLaren has to be a bit faster, very few people would buy them for their looks, heritage, or history.

McLaren also doesn’t design or build the engines. It is a Nissan design made by a third party OEM supplier. One could say it is a very expensive Kit Car, but that might be a bit tough.

wrs likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thats a harsh and unnecessary statement. The 720 has been winning accolades in many magazines and reviews. Its a tremendous car. But this is not a zero sum game. If one car is great, doesn't mean the other sucks.

its quite possible that we have multiple great cars and yes, the consumer is the winner in the end.

Shadowfax likes this.
  5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think I or anyone else in here said any of these cars suck. If people took it that way, it's because they feel their car is heavily defined by things it "loses" in I guess.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #2706 Shadowfax, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    The thread was about which to buy - 488 or 720. Opinions were subsequently offered from those owning either and, from some who owned neither.

Everyone here knew that the 720 was the better performing car. The numbers spoke for themselves therefore, the performance advantage held by 720 was never a point worthy of arguing (well in my mind at least anyway).

The problems evidently begun when certain Mac fanboys sought to ridicule and discredit the opinions being offered from 488 owners and others who also didn't agree with those said mac fanboys POV's.

These Mac fanboys then opted to use everything within their means to suggest that the opinions from those preferring the 488 were invalid, and based purely upon a hatred for the Mac brand, labeling them Mac haters in a bid to discredit anyone passing opinion which did not meet their approval.

The trolling continued on from these jilted individuals which sadly served as an embarrassment to those mac owners who were genuinely happy with their choice and, who had demonstrated a willingness to accept and respect the opposing opinions gracefully from those who had opted for something other than their beloved 720.

In the course of the trolls being called out they began lashing the whistle-blowers with insults in a bid to dilute and disguise what they were really up to.

The rest is now history. The OP bought another car.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2707 noone1, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    ROLF. I'm dying right now. Did you even read the first post? Let me copy and paste it for you.

All the dude wanted was opinions on residual value in the short term. That's what this thread was for. He got his answers and we now know the answer of which would have been a better purchase for the most part.

It eventually just became a 720s/488 comparison thread simply because of the thread title. And then you got your feelings hurt somehow because not everyone likes your car.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It was in the process of giving those opinions where the trouble started.

Said Mac fanboys rebuked any suggestion indicating there could be downward shift of sorts and from there it all went downhill. I mean how dare anyone suggest the possibility that history may repeat itself :rolleyes:.

Good day.

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So who was right?

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I WISH A MODERATOR WOULD JUMP IN. Move this thread to a McLaren group so we don't have to see crap written by some dreamer that doesn't even have a car.
    No One 1 I frankly don't give a rats arse what you write. All it says you know how to google. You would ONLY have any street cred if you owned either car.

Its like you giving me a lecture on what is the best car audio to have without actually having a car. YOU ARE A TROLL. I reckon you would be good as a politician , exponent at verbal diarrhoea.

Scud8, Ash Patel and Shadowfax like this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Instead of spouting nonsense how about you give one example of this? I did not see one post from anyone ridicule the opinions from any 488 owners nor have I seen any posts from anyone disparage the 488 which quite frankly would be nonsense. The most I ever said is that I believe Ferrari can do better a la Pista. The only people who got called out is your posse Ash and Igor because they were basing their opinions on a test drive around the block or a magazine article which we all agree is nonsense. Funny how now everyone is jumping on Noone1 for the same thing.

If you show me an example of of what you claim I will gladly concede but it doesnt exist. For the most part other than yourself most have been pretty rational and reasonable.

You have gone as far to call out a German Magazine because the the 720 outperformed the GT2RS on a certain track. Do you really believe this?

Open your mind, no one here is bashing anything. This is only your perception which couldnt be more false. Your posts are always argumentative, never informative, always slamming anyone with a different or alternative view. You dont see it this way but trust me many others do.

I already know how your response will be - more of the same rather than providing anything substantive.

Your goal is clear, you are looking ot chase everyone away that doesnt agree with you.

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Angelo, it is not just Noone1, there are others on the other side as well. With all of these posts you would think by now someone would have given a real comparison from their POV but instead we get bickering.

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Kind of true. :) I would say more like 98% of my posts are rational but yes I have a hard time with ignorance and people who in general are disrespectful of others so yes I can turn into a d ick.

People who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a car are generally passionate about their purchase so I am sensitive to this as I am in the same position
    (I think you know this). With this in mind I have never nor would I slam another's purchase which is why this one person baffles the mind. He persists with the same comments but there is nothing there. The whole thing is pretty darn odd.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Are you saying Ferrari doesnt source parts from others? Keep it real.

15. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

No that isn't what I said, as you can see from the quote. Nice try.

I run a manufacturing company. Everybody sources raw materials, sub components, and finished parts.

The engine is the soul of a high performance exotic. It is not the same as buying a radio from an OEM.

Each of us chooses what we want based upon our level of wants, desires, and emotion. My point, which is true, is that McLaren is not on the same page as Ferrari in terms of design, engineering, or history/legacy. To some that doesn't matter, to others it does.

You don't have to agree. It is just my opinion and point of view of a factual difference between these two companies. That is Real.

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Where did I give my opinion on the driving characteristics of the 488?

Doesn't "dreamer" imply that I want your car and couldn't have it? On the contrary, they are abundant, I could have one tomorrow morning, and I just don't. It's quite simple really. I don't like how it looks and that's all that matters at this level of car.

Have you ever heard of Tinder?

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I've really done nothing other than call you out - you've done the rest but you insist upon fitting me up with some imaginary claim of attacking people to feel good about my 488. Pure unadulterated Fantasy.

To trawl back over 109 pages to prove my case is not necessary as your current manner is an indictment you are unable to deal with anything without resorting to name calling, and making demeaning, insulting, personal remarks. That kind of behavior is inappropriate and I'm not going to indulge it any further.

From here on I'm done with responding both you and noone1. You guys are trying to justify a position of innocence and being hard done by and are only digging your holes deeper by each post. Surely you both can see that?

Mods may as well close this thread up here unless there is some sensible discussion left to put forward which I very much doubt. I am weary of the constant need to chime in here to put a halt to yours and noone1's ridiculous rantings.

Re the discussion about the 2rs and 720. Certainly made more sense to talk about a Porsche and a Mac as it seems to be the case where just the mere mention of the word Ferrari sets you fellas off into a frenzy.

Fwiw I don't hold grudges against you, noone1 or anyone else here so don't beat yourselves up too much over being called out. Best pick yourselves up, dust yourselves off and move on. Also take your 720 out for a good spin and get it out of your system. You'll be the better for it! Cheers. SF.

Ash Patel likes this.
  18. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #2718 Ash Patel, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Gh-fella woke up and needed to respond to everything in this thread from the past 24 hours just to have the last saying.

Popcorn time this is so funny

PS. No I did not do a joyride comparison around the block, that was your words nor do I need to "brag" about what car(s) I own and/or have incoming ;).

MANDALAY and Shadowfax like this.
  19. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    LOL missed this post earlier on. No comment as I don't want to start off world war 3, but after reading it now I'm surprised they didn't drop me like a hot cake immediately and go straight for your jugular instead. I bet their blood is boiling after reading that. You're a marked man now.

21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Spent 5 minutes looking over old Noone posts because I’m getting a bit fed up with this thread, which could otherwise be really interesting with views from 488 and 720 owners or people who have driven with or against either of them on track days or even the road.

He is ultra-cynical and believes exotic cars to be the following;-

“They’re just throwaway toys and I use them the same as I do a Camry.”

When he says he never criticises Ferrari (“when did I or anyone else say any of these cars suck?”) that is only partly correct. “I think the 488 is boring looking and nothing new.” “From a roll a 570 might be quicker than a 488 coupe.” But he seems pathologically incapable of hearing criticism about McLaren. There are many criticisms of Ferrari on this thread, some justified, some in the realm of mere opinion but there are at least equally justifiable criticisms about McLaren which he cannot accept. He even argued you can get a set of golf clubs in a 720 at some point I think, because someone said the 720 luggage capacity was low!

To put in context where he is coming from you have to turn to another thread though:

“I don’t lust after your Ferrari one bit though. Not even on my radar. I’d take that Tesla in a heartbeat. Different strokes for different folks. I’m into tomorrow’s technology not yesterday’s.”

And just in case Lambo owners are feeling left out....

“You drive a 580-2 right? Well, you’re driving one of the most un-involving exotic cars ever created.”

But given recent arguments, my personal favourite when challenging someone who made a negative comment about McLaren was:

“When did you last drive the 488 and 720S? How many miles?”

So, my point is, I don’t think we should criticise Noone. I get where he is coming from. It’s just a different place from most supercar enthusiasts, including me. His posts almost always have a high degree of cynicism in them, something he seems to wear with pride. They don’t need to always be answered - very few threads are designed to reach a definitive conclusion anyway. And the advantage of not answering is that one of two things happens;
    1. Some people with interesting experience might feel it is worthwhile to add to the thread, or
    2. The thread will disappear.

MANDALAY, waterking, stavura and 2 others like this.
  22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You've proved my point again zero substance just more of nothing. Babbling away.... Now that YOU are called out you want to run away. Seems about right.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No Gh21631, I'm still here if you want me but please don't ask or expect me to respond if you are going to continue talking ****.

And just to put your mind at ease I was in the process of reading over your overly argumentative and overly defensive posts earlier on in the thread - as per your request- to check you out and so far I'm far from impressed, least of all convinced. In fact I think I've read enough now - can't take/stomach any more.

PS Please go and drive that car of yours and blow off some steam.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I just got up to the part where Gh21631 copped a 1 week ban for insults. Wow I wasn't expecting this but I can safely say I've read more than I need to.

Gh you should thank your lucky stars you haven't copped a lifetime ban mate. You've really got to learn to relax - this can't be healthy for you. I truly think from here on end the best thing I can do for you to help your situation is to put you on my ignore list and hope for the best the mods don't pop in to revisit your posts or this could be it, and I don't want any hand in your demise. So please don't take it the wrong way Gh but I think for now I'm going to leave you to your own devices for now. Good luck and best wishes. SF.

Ash Patel, MANDALAY and galt like this.
  25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You must have missed my post where I said my 12C was a mess and not well made, and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a 12C unless they live near a dealer. How does that make me incapable of hearing about criticism of McLaren?