MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 58 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valentino Toro

May 28, 2017
    Funniest post I’ve read in a while.
    I love my Ferrari too but for different reasons than you.
    To correct you, McLaren drivers are known to drive their cars much more than Ferrari drivers.
    McLarens out-accelerate AND pull higher cornering forces AND they lap circuits consistently faster than their Ferrari segment equivalents.
    Some way to go still for McLaren? Which way?
    40/50 years more perhaps to catch up to Ferrari standards?
    Have you ever been clinically diagnosed with delusional disorder?

2. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    Shadowfox is just bringing more snarkiness, conjecture, and bias versus actually contributing in any way with logic, facts, or actual experience favoring either the 488 or 720S... seems pretty much the common thread to this entire thread at this point maybe because most everything that could be said has been said I don't know. When lacking any valid argument resort to sarcasm or raising your voice its not even worth addressing it would be feeding the trolls.

It's been nice when those have have an intelligence and validity to their posting, the others just seem to get their jollies in trying to keep things scrapping the bottom of the barrel with nothing but useless biased opinions.

bberg009 and Valentino Toro like this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I share your findings re Ferrari owners and also your sentiment on the introduction of new exotics and the advancements they bring.

1. Wasn't aware you knew my reasons for owning a Ferrari?
    2. I would agree Ferraris' in general evidently don't get much mileage over the course of individual ownership. I intend breaking that mold ;)
    3. Perhaps. A lot also depends upon who's driving it/them.
    4. To engineer a car that doesn't bottom out yet still manages to produce the numbers.
    5. Don't know. Hope not as I wouldn't mind giving one a shot one day. That said it's hard to overlook that the Ferrari is able to do what it has been designed to do without bottoming the suspension out and scraping the guts off the car on high speed undulations.
    6. You seem to know a lot about this disorder, so please indulge me - delusional in what way?

And your contribution is?

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Anyway, I still think the McLaren is technologically superior and Ferrari has some catching up to do. Carbon Fibre tub? Cross linked suspension?? Come on Ferrari!! Get with the programme.

F2003-GA and frefan like this.
  5. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Since you are talking about tracking...

What really put me off from Ferrari is when I approach the topic of tracking, I am told to buy a challenge car in addition to the regular street car. This is a consistent message. I'm not feeling the need to buy two cars with one to do a half dozen or so high performance driver experience programs throughout the year.

My mclaren dealer is more than happy to encourage us to track and provides the logistical support. Pick up the car from home, do the track inspection and return it to wherever I want it returned.

Mclaren's standard warranty covers tracking as long as I get the track inspections done. There is no wink/wink that the warranty doesn't cover it but we will overlook it type deal.

Have you checked your warranty book for your ferrari to see what the exclusions are with regards to performance and/or track driving?

Perhaps, this is the attitude difference between the two right now.

paulchua likes this.
  6. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

Wow it's been a while since have read such a pretentious statement.

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
  8. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Can disagree with that, McLaren is superior in many ways. I own both, I debated very hard on 720S and ended up going with 488GTB. My business partner has 720S, he likes his 458 Spider better, which is shocking.

I am still considering replacing my 570S with 720S. After owning several Lambos, I am looking forward to next generation of offerings as well.

Areas where Ferrari is superior for me is sound, it just sound a lot better, no turbo lag, instant responds, a lot more emotional, more fun to drive. After picking up 488GTB, I felt the car ruined it for me. I no longer want to drive my 570S any more, it is just so boring in comparison and really missing that magical aspect. I am hoping Ferrari will use carbon tube for next generation of cars.

SoCal to az likes this.
  9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Wow - Absolutely amazing a 9 sec street legal beast :)

DaDukeOfPalma likes this.
  10. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Perhaps all we Ferrari owners are delusional, but it begs the question why the heck does Ferrari have 395 points in Formula 1, while MacLaren has 23 points and is second to last in the constructor championship. Let's just agree that Macs are good cars, while Ferrari is great (how is that in pouring fuel on the fire (just kidding)).....

11. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    "fire" and "Ferrari" in the same paragraph? Brave!

bberg009 likes this.
  12. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    No disrespect but you answered your own question. You are delusional. The 488 is not a f1 car, nor is it designed or built by the f1 team, nor does it share any part with an f1 car. Same with 720. Seriously if the 488 was built by the f1 team and that's the best they could do then it's Ferrari that would be trailing in points.

I do agree McLarens F1 performance is beyond pathetic but is bears no resemblance to it's road cars, just sayin.

13. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Fun how fast the "conversation" degrades to Trolling......

14. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    488 and 570 isn't exactly in the same ball park price wise. It would be like comparing 720s with a cali t.

488 and 720s are both great cars. On another note; I had a chance to be up close and personal with the performante this week-end. Lamborghini should be very proud of what they did with that car.

frefan and bberg009 like this.
  15. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    It's a fair question. It comes up a lot. But it's not logical.

16. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Speaking of F1.

Why is it that when Mac started their car business in full steam ahead mode that their F1 team started to fall down the ranks?

May the Horse be with you....

17. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    It's purely coincidence. Like I said they're totally separate companies.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1443 Shadowfax, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    You may have a point there, although Mac has been trying to break into Ferrari and Porsche's market share, so offering warranty beyond what these two brands offer is akin to the Korean's offering 5 and 7 years warranty over all other manufacturers 2 and 3 year warranty periods. I don't feel it signals that the Mac is any better or durable in circuit conditions over the aforementioned. In fact from what I've seen, it's been the contrary. So far my dealer is strongly encouraging tracking of the 488, and have organised track days and other DE's etc. Porsche is much the same there. Very pro active in getting those users out there and amongst it who like using the cars for what they were made to do.

Actually, pretentious is owning these cars and not driving them and/or just using the service trip as a means to do so. Ring a bell does it?

Yeah agree - funny how some here only chime in to offer up insults to sooth their bruised ego's. And of course only their opinion counts. After all, driving their car so little gives so much knowledge.

19. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Seriously?? I give you an accurate answer and all you can say is its TROLLING and an INSULT? Is that like when you have no reasonable response you just say its racist or something? Ok, go ahead. prove yourself. Explain to all of us how the Ferrari F1 team has 395 points has something, anything, remotely to do with the 488. Hold on while I get my popcorn.

Valentino Toro likes this.
  20. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Whilst you are at it.

I would like some butter and salt on mine......

Valentino Toro likes this.
  21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    This is a claim that is not verified - McLarens out-accelerate because they have more power and that's pretty much it.
    A 458 is often faster than a MP4/12C on a track, and a 675LT is just as fast as a 488 GTB (or really marginally faster) on a track in spite of being the track-oriented version.
    The 720S (which is more expensive than the 488 GTB) is faster (it has 50 hp more) on both straight line and tracks, but to me it remains to be seen whether it's actually more efficient than the 488 GTB - it may be that even on track it gets its advantage only on the straights (the 675LT was undoubtly faster in the straights, so to achieve similar lap times to the 488 GTB it did actually lose time in the corners; the 720S is even faster in the straights but more track tests are needed to assess its actual efficiency).
    I know facts have little impact in this thread though :)

22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not really. The LF-P1 couple was almost identical, even though Ferrari was on lesser Corsas compared to Trofeos most of the time. The 458 lapped as quickly as the 12C, even though it was slower in a straight line after the 625 PS upgrade of the latter. The Speciale lapped as quickly as the 650, despite its 50 hp disadvantage and the 488 is even quicker. The only McLaren that is clearly faster is the new 720 as its a brand new platform. No one is deriding McLarens about their performance though, so no need to get defensive.

23. Valentino Toro

May 28, 2017
    Sorry if I came across in my post as being defensive because I really want Ferrari to stay on top. But, and by the way, I am a practicing and highly in demand psychiatrist, please seek help. You are delusional. I’m only here to help, not troll.

24. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Do you think Ferraris never bottom out? Why would they bother with lifters then? I’ve owned several Ferraris that could easily bottom out over high speed (and some not so high speed) undulations. Low supercars bottom out.

25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    If you are indeed a psychiatrist (which I doubt judging by your derogatory comments and sense of self importance), you might have spent too much time with your patients for you own good!!!

“Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.”
    C.G. Jung

paulchua and anunakki like this.