MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 66 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Cost of purchase is a set price. Depreciation depends upon many factors, i.e., model of car, amount produced, end of current model cycle, color and options, miles driven, condition etc. If your driving is restricted so as not invoke greater precentage of depreciation, then that defeats the purpose of owning a super car.

ffforever likes this.
  2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Decided to rent a 720S for 24 hours just to see what it's all about. I will be carving up a couple of nice canyons in that time. I'm hoping to put at least 300 miles of canyon driving!

Unfortunately I never got to drive a 488GTB beyond a small dealership test drive, but I'm curious to see how the 720S compares to my Speciale!

F2003-GA and Afonsolaw like this.
  3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So it’s quicker from 100+ than the P1 that Motortrend tested (that was quicker than all other P1s tested). Unreal. And with Trofeo R tires and a better surface the car may have been as quick as slower speeds as well.

4. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is what a 720S looks like blowing past a cop car on a highway

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That's crazy - He's lucky the cop was nice to him :eek:

vinuneuro and ekovalsky like this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So he was driving a white Ferrari!

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    All those who are speed freaks uber alles, time to sell your cars and prepare for the Tesla Roadster.

0-60 mph- 1.9 seconds
    0-100 mph- 4.2 seconds
    1/4 mile - 8.9 seconds
    Top speed- 250 mph.

600 mile highway range.
    4 wheel drive.

Price - $200K

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1634 TheMayor, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    The 720s has met it's match... and it's a TESLA ELECTRIC. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds

So do you all hate the 720s now for being SO SLOW and having OLD TECHNOLOGY? :)

Maybe we should start a thread "720s vs Telsa Roadster"?

Then you can tell us all again how the looks of the 720s and noise the 720s makes are not important but the performance numbers are. :) And hey... $100 grand less to boot!

This should be fun....

MANDALAY, dustman, Afonsolaw and 4 others like this.
  9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Petrol cars will be dinosaurs soon, like it or not.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    And even sooner we will evolve past our physical form with no need for direct human contact.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That Tesla is still 3 years away. Not to mention that it has to prove itself even if it ever comes out. The latter is not guaranteed given Tesla's shoddy production record. It still hasn't managed to deliver the Model 3 which was supposed to be in customers' hands by last year.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Let the stock market get excited by dreams of future production for Tesla. I will believe it when I see it. Even if it comes to fruition, it does not look like a super car nor will it sound and feel like one. But its speed is intriguing to at least experience.

ekovalsky likes this.
  13. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    I never trust a guy that wants to send people to another planet but is not willing to go with them.

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Waiting for mother in law jokes.

15. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    He's better at being PT Barnum than PT Barnum was.

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    To be on the list to potentially one day in the future receive a car requires a $50000 US deposit for a base model and get this- $250000 US for a Founder's Edition car.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've noticed that all the usual Mac supporters who poo poo'd the 488 for being "slow" have all disappeared now that the Tesla has appeared.

After all, we've heard for 60 pages how its the performance numbers of a car that are the key to wanting a super car, right? The faster it goes the better it is, right? Styling is not important. Pedigree and branding are not important. Exhaust noise is not important.

Just performance. The faster the better. We want mind numbing speed! We want to go faster on the track than the next guy's car. We want to say our car is faster 0-60 than the other guy

That's what we heard anyway. That was the reason for wanting the 720s, wasn't it?

Strange. I would have thought they would be explaining why they are all signing up to buy a Tesla now. It costs less so I don't think it's a matter of money.

Or maybe... just maybe... some of those "other factors" like emotion and styling and exhaust notes and pedigree are important after all? You know, like those of us who said it mattered when deciding on buying a Ferrari.

From what I've heard here, you must be a "poser" to drive the 720s and not buy the Tesla because you know there's a faster car out there but you keep the Mac because it makes you happy somehow going down the street at 45 mph.

All that performance and 100 grand less than a Mac 720s. I guess Mac will go out of business now?

RossoCorsa716 and Ash Patel like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Speed is simply one of the many components that comprise performance. Speed in and of itself does not = performance.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    OMG... go to 1:50 sec and see what this Telsa can do.....

Afonsolaw likes this.
  20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ^^^^This

What about the full carbon tub? What about the linked suspension? What about those amazing doors that solve so many problems we live with day in day out with exotics?

21. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Insane!

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Haha! What a great post.
    I have had a lot of great sports cars but my tesla is amazing.
    Order in for the roadster.
    Laugh at those saying tesla won’t or can’t build it, believe when I see it yada yada laugh.
    What a great time to live. Performantes and Demons and Teslas.

Aircon likes this.
  23. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    So it is not a steering wheel but a steering bar!

SV

24. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Such a great post, maybe this ridiculous "Mac-fan boy" thread about speed numbers can now come to an end? :)