MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 68 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

2. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    She didn't like the 458 aside from being seen in it. The ultimate poser.

3. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    What does a woman having cars have to do with her desirability?

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Nothing. I gave her the choice. She chose a Lexus for the same reason you like the 720s.

It was her choice. It's your choice. But the things you guys care about don't matter to me.

So why am I wrong and you right? I was happy she was happy. That's life. Get over it.

5. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    She is actually smarter than you. Lexus is more reliable than Maserati by a mile and I bet is perfect for her.

What Ferrari do you drive again? I know you vent a lot but I never recall that. Please advise.

Also, have you driven a 720s? If not, how do you know how it drives or draw an opinion?

I'm stuck between 720 and 488 spider, but I'm being honest with myself (after driving both) on evaluation vs my old 458. Try to open you mind a little.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well I was being facetious and if I’m honest quite a bit actually. It’d be a shared hobby and I wouldn’t mind dating a girl with a similar income. Save me a lot going half way on things.

7. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Women with a lot of money are crazy... I'm speaking front experience!

8. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Corrected (just kidding of course) :D

Afonsolaw likes this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I will repeat again - If you have not driven the cars under discussion, your opinion on the matter is worthless and better kept to yourself. It is well known that the Mayor does not own any of the cars under discussion, has not driven any of the cars being discussed on this thread, and to top it off, believes that on roads and highways, all cars drive exactly the same with a Camry being indistinguishable from a Ferrari.

I believe the 720S is an exceptional car and would have no qualms with anyone who purchases it. Similarly for anyone preferring a Huracan Performante or the 488. All are super cars with differing personalities and characteristics.

exoticcardreamer and IPO1 like this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    A generalization that does not apply to me as I am living with an incredible woman of means who is the nicest person I have ever met.

uhn2000 likes this.
  11. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Take it however you like

12. MME

MME Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Marty
    You’re stuck between two great cars. I was apprehensive trading my 458 for 488, but am not at all disappointed that I did. I test drove the 720S and have ordered one for delivery next summer. I’m fortunate I can own both.

13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    That is fantastic indeed to own both. I'm poor and can only afford one or the other. I'm truly torn and have booked some time to Las Vegas to drive 720 rental for a day and really get a better perspective. Also, since my friend has 720 I'm counting on his feedback over the next 30 days (he's a no BS guy and former F car guy--so will be interesting).

Thank you for support.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1689 TheMayor, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Interesting you ask. I liked my 458 coupe better than me 458 spider. And in fact my F430 spider was actually more fun to drive thanks to the more organic gearbox.

In my opinion, these cars are going backwards in terms of driving emotion. Ferrari and Mac have the same problem, it's not unique to either. Yes the speeds go up but we are losing that unique -- dare I say quirky-- feel.

You have a point that I have not driven the 720s. I just read what others say. Dare I say most of the Mac fan boys here haven't either. I guess they shouldn't comment?

She was smarter than me? Well, I might agree with you in that. :) You can win that point.

But I'd rather drive the Maser than a Lexus any day-- dumb idea or not.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    At least I am honest in my criticism of both. A lot more than the fan boys on both sides.

And I wonder if I only praised the 720s having never driven it, would you say the same?

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes and Ukrainian women crazier than most. :)

But with that craziness comes great peaks and valleys of emotion and drama, just like I like in an exotic car I decide to own

Makuono and Afonsolaw like this.
  17. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Updated review from a rather spoiled driver: the 720 sort of bores me, the 488 spider is still a car I can’t let go. Lots of cars have more emotion than both.

Just drove an 18k Scud nine hours using iBuds for entertainment. The drive was far more fun than the drive down in the GTC4 Lusso. I think that speaks to the sort of car I prefer and helps to either temper or explain my comment on the 720. I mentioned elsewhere I also felt the manual 430 was more engaging to drive than the 720.

18. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    And a 250 or 330 is more enagaging than any of the above. So what? Surely you should only compare current model with current model.

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Although I never drove a Prius (I drove some hybrid Lexus though, and more than long enough) I am not ashamed to say I do not like them; in most domains we can forge opinions not based on first hand experience, but on available information and on thought associations.
    These opinions are not truths we should try to impose to others but are still entitled to be expressed (and become in turn part of the available information).

20. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I don't like the looks of the McLaren but Road and Track really loved it. It is their performance car of the year in this months issue. Incidentally it did not post the fastest lap time.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you bothered to read my review of the Performante, 720S and 488, my preference was for the former, not the 720S. I am not a fanboy for any make or model. I have owned every brand over the last 10 years and I only purchase the car that I deem the most desirable.

IPO1 and Boomhauer like this.
  22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually I've said many times the Performante intrigues me as it does seem to have one foot still on the wild side.

23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Maybe even 2 feet and a large portion of the right hemisphere of the brain.

24. Illogical

Illogical Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    So last week I test drove a 488GTB and today I was in a 720S.

I've never owned or driven any cars from these manufacturers before and I'm no motoring journalist, but here's my impressions:

488GTB - very direct steering and throttle response and the suspension is what I expected of a supercar, more suited to smoother roads than cobblestones but still comfortable on poor roads. I can only describe the drive as being very focused - the car is like a taut bow just waiting for the stored energy to be released. Acceleration and feeling of speed is intense. I liked the feel of the brake pedal, which was more like a daily driver feel with a bit of travel before biting. The styling is fantastic and the engine sounds great. Negatives were the unexpected rev limiter coming earlier than the redline and rear vision a little limited, like looking through a letterbox. Interior switches are functional but there's nothing cutting edge about anything. The interior is comfortable and stylish, but I found the Goldrake seats a little hard. I think it would take a good few hours of driving to become accustomed with how the car functions - for example, the LEDs and buttons on the wheel take a little getting used to. I enjoyed the drive, but I was having to concentrate more than usual when driving in traffic.

720S - steering feedback is not as precise as the GTB and the engine response isn't quite the same. However the suspension is superb - each mode is noticeably different from the next and you can combine the various suspension and engine/gearbox modes as you see fit. It does cobblestones and uneven, poorly maintained roads very well. The cabin is very spacious and visibility is excellent - you can easily see what is going on around you in almost every direction. The only time the view to the rear is slightly blocked is when braking hard as the wing tilts up to act as an air brake. The interior is spacious, controls are well laid out and there's a big touch-screen to control accessories. The driver display is fully digital but was easy to read and can be folded away to provide just the most basic information if preferred. I really liked the steering wheel, it has nothing but a horn in the middle but felt great. Sometimes more is less. The quality of finish and materials is excellent, definitely on par with Ferrari. I really liked the seats, they were very comfortable. Negatives on the 720S can only be found in comparison with the 488GTB, that is the engine sound and response. It's still an excellent engine though. The 720S is futuristic looking with the strange headlights/air ducting and the "twin-hinged dihedral" doors - I don't mind it but I understand some people will think it a little strange. The 488GTB is just a work of art from every angle. Big positive is the air brake, it provides excellent stability on heavy braking from high speed, which is important. I felt almost instantly comfortable driving fast around other road users in the 720S - probably due to the excellent visibility and the suspension more than anything else. The gearbox and traction control of both cars was excellent - if only the 488GTB revved to 8500rpm like the 720S.

Pricing is almost identical but McLaren don't provide the seven year service and extending the manufacturers warranty is a lot more expensive than Ferrari. The Ferrari dealer experience is a little more involved than McLaren, although I had a great experience at both dealerships.

I was not expecting to be as impressed with the 720S as I am now. I have a very difficult decision to make now as I've been thinking about a 488GTB for a couple of years and hadn't even considered a McLaren - I only went after reading this thread really!

25. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Seems the Drag King does not fold so well