MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 73 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

So after 20 miles of city driving you have determined that the 720S is a game changer. Furthermore, you proclaim it will handily destroy the Lambo on a track. Interesting how you come to these conclusions when by your own admission you have not personally experienced the car under these conditions. For your edification, the lap times recorded during the Road and Track PCOTY award was that not only was the Performante quicker, so was the Mercedes GT R. Yes I know they had Trofeo tires while the 720S used Corsa, eventhough that was tire recommended by McLaren.

There seems to be a general conensus that at this level of super cardom, subjective personal preferences will be determinative as to which model is the most satisfying. One man's game changer is anothers explosively fast but emotionally deficient experience. I personally found the 570S for example, a highly competent and solid performer that was excessively soft, compliant and sterile. An intellectual experience that left me asking" is that all there is my friend, so let's keep dancing". There is not enough exhaust filling my being that would compel me to purchase one.

Ultimately, the final arbiter of any purchasing decision should be left to the individual upon the completion of an intensive test drive. Only then will it help prevent buyer's remorse.

anunakki likes this.
  2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    And I think GT2RS will spank them both on the track :D

3. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Some people quote lap times, magazine tests, watch videos and then take a 20 minute test drive with a sales person beside them and then come on car forums and write essays on it. Some people actually go out and do it. They'd just rather not argue with people about it (myself included).

Let's see; ,my purchase history over the last 3 years; f12, 458, 458 speciale, sv coupe, sv roaders, 650, 675 lt, gt3rs, scud, 720s, p1 - guess what... I didn't test drive any of these before hand. I'm betting that many people who bought new didn't get a chance to test drive them either. Performante, 720s or any of these cars when announced have deposits/commitments on them before a person has actually driven one.

Maybe we should go in another direction; reasons to buy into a certain marquee if a person is looking at one car at a time that doesn't have anything to do with how good the actual car is...

ie; availability, how long the line is to get the limited edition, lease rates, car clubs, social networking by using cars, dealer support, what warranties cover and what they don't... I'd feel bad for a person whose first car was a 488 that they paid over MSRP and they think that puts them in line for a 488 speciale...

Some of these decisions of which car to buy don't necessarily have to do with how good they are.

Makuono and anunakki like this.
  4. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Probably will... The hardest car to get among the ones that we are talking about though. So far one friend paid $150K over and another friend referred me to a dealer with $100K over. I passed that deal onto another friend. When that friend called the dealer they said things changed and they are taking "offers".

5. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    And some of us will pay MSRP :p

6. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter

7. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

Even in this exotic car world where price of admission begins at $300K, I would suggest that anyone who purchases a dozen super cars worth multiple millions of $, might not be representative of the majority of those on this forum. You and others like you, clearly seem fiscally capable of simply buying anything that might be of interest and if all or any ends up being disappointing, no biggie. You might simply keep it/them, sell it/them and then buy another batch. For most here, spending a 1/2 million dollar or more on a car might occasion an interest in driving it prior to purchase. Limited editions cars are not usually available for a test drive prior to purchase, but the 3 vehicles under discussion here were and are. Serious potential buyers, such as myself and others, can be offered solo demos for multiple hours and repeated on other days. I was and it proved invaluable in the ultimate purchasing decision. Personally, I would never buy a car that I did not test drive prior to purchase. My priorities and preferences that a car must satisfy are very specific and there only exist a small select group that conform to that paradigm.

9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    We get it--you're a Lambo fan boy (obvious by your posts on Lambo forum).

I know it's hard for you to believe but many, including myself, don't 'test drive cars'. Not because we can't, because we don't have time and really don't care. Many are instant gratification, many are in the line for next best one--some of us are both.

Enjoy your Lambo. Hope it brings you all the joy you want. It's not the end all to be all car by any measure, but it's what makes you happy. Remember next year brings the next best thing.

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I'm still torn on getting an Aventador S roadster or not.

I drove a pre -S coupe and hated it.

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Clunky for sure but IMO a very cool looking car.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you read my initial post on Lamborghini Talk after I drove the 720S, it could not be clearer that the 720S was so impressive, it became my next choice for purchase. This was subsequent to driving the 570S and all the variants of the Huracan except the Performante. I had already discussed the purchase with the McLaren dealer. It was only after experiencing the Performante, that my decsicion changed. In other words, I am not, a priori, a fanboy of any brand or model. I opt for the car that satisfies my needs and requirements, regardless of the badge on the car. At this point in time, that car is the Performante. If and when another car becomes available that suits me more fully, it will become mine.

13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes for the 5th time--we got it.

bberg009 likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Funny

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Maybe, I tried to buy one but they wanted $250k over list so I told them to F off. This is a local dealer on a new car.

G. Pepper and Makuono like this.
  16. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I would tell them to F off as well. But that screams demand and I cannot wait. Track puppy central...well probably big dog not puppy.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    After 20 miles and seat time in numerous other cars I can tell you without hesitation the 720 is a game changer. You don't need to accept this - your opinion. The 720's dominance is shared by magazines, online testers, analysts, owners, etc. How many used 720's do you see on the market - hmmm none... Its been a few months now if they weren't all that you would assume a few would be on the market. Eventually they will pop up but for the other marques referenced they came up for sale immediately.

The test drive comment is BS - no dealer is going to allow you to take an "extensive" test drive in a car selling over $300K. That's a bunch of crap. OK, maybe they will let you drive a Lambo extensively as so many are just sitting.

When I ordered my Huracan in 2015 it was without a test drive however I got invited to do a track day in Miami, came back and canceled my order. Nice car, enjoyed the thrashing but not exciting enough to me. I stuck with my Ferrari. But hey if you like it good for you. Hopefully it stirs your emotions as you say. All good, enjoy it in good health.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Porsche is killing it right now, I am sure it will something special.

19. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Agree. Look forward to your longer term (30 days ++) on 720. Will mean a lot to me with your previous history. Also, fantastic if you are thinking of ordering topless Performante. That would be a blast over coupe. Keep us up to date on all fronts.

20. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    I would argue against this, except I just realized I bought the 488 spider without a test drive.. have had a F430 spider F1, and a 458 spider. So, the next natural thing was a 488 spider..

I also bought three MB C300s for my kids, without test driving it either. I guess if you trust the brand from prior experience, and the cars are new, you don't really have to.. ("crazy" , but true)..

21. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    So true.

22. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Not sure that is accurate. Road and Track tested the Mac 720 and got a 0-60 at 2.7 seconds, and 9.9 quarter mile (400 meters). The Dodge demon does it in 2.3 and quarter mile in 9.65. And I am unsure about Porsche 918 and LaFerrari, but I know MotorTrend tested the Tessa 100 at 2.38 (other claim faster without a reliable test),,

but both the LaFerrari and the Porsche 911S beats the crap of Tessa on 1/4 mile and on acceleration after the first second (see graph below from MotorTrends real track testing).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    As long as the weather holds up I will be driving it. I do plan a nice road trip this weekend about 300 miles so that will be telling. One of the challenges in colder weather is getting the tires to heat up otherwise it will break loose through at least 3rd gear - thank God for traction control.

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The hybrids aren’t being produced anymore. The demon is a mid 10’s car with seats (remember the record car only had a drivers seat).

25. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    There are quite a few on this side of the pond. And they don't seem to be moving all that well.