MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 88 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I think he is keeping them going just to annoy Gh21631.

2. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    well, take a quess :)

Attached Files:

Afonsolaw and Coincid like this.
  3. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Here's the thing.... many of the people who own these cars stopped posting a long time ago. They determined that it was no use in explaining to people who are going to respond with youtube/instagram type of comments. Other car specific forums aren't very active because it is primarily owners who post on them. Hang around long enough and one realizes that they aren't very active because they hardly get driven so many people don't have anything to say. FChat is different because it has a much wider variety of people who are posting/observing and asking questions which is a good thing.

However, I defer to people who actually have experience with the cars. I'm not going to badger a person with a laferrari or a tdf for example because ; you know why should I? I'd be 3 deep in observers at cars and coffee observing a laferrari so why would I make negative comments or tell the laferrari owner he is posting something wrong about his car that I don't own or not going to own?

4. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    2 are from McLaren in Ticino (both new) and 2 are from McLaren Geneva (one new and one is used), the others are from let's say "indipendent luxury car dealers". IMO normal business, in Switzerland this kind of car is very popular, but certainly exciting to track. I'm more worried about the many Sport Series cars on the web, a few of them were probably 720S "door openers" and the others imposed quotas... ;)

Igor Ound likes this.
  5. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    720s vs 812 superfast
    at around 59:00,
    really wonder how many horses the 812 needs to beat the 720s in acceleration

6. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    I was considering a 650s spider a few month ago before buying my 458 spider. All went wrong on the test drive when the car went into limp home mode. Had heard numerous warning on Mclaren reliability but nothing quite like seeing the car telling you to pay a visit to the dealer to fix the issue.

Actually my main concern with their depreciation is the number of new cars they plan on releasing over the next few years along with the similar looks they have tended to keep, 720s being the exception but what will the next look like. Also didn't like the servicing cost and £3.5k per year to extend the warranty above 3 years.

So I like their looks but just felt there were too many question marks at this stage, Ferrari seemed to have ticked some of those boxes.

Hope my ramblings help someone.

7. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    The oddest thing is to talk about depreciation concern on cars when one is already buying cars that are pretty much already depreciated (ie., buying cars that someone already took a bullet on and are 3+ years old).

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah sure but the bullets don't stop coming with the Mac. The 458 holds up waaay better!

Shack likes this.
  9. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    not in our market. Switzerland 60 458 to sell, starting at 150k chf were 6 650s are to sell starting with 178k chf.
    so it depends clearly to the market

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #2185 Shadowfax, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    That is a very rare and very lucky situation for the brand. Let's hope it stays that way for the sake of the Swiss.

11. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
  12. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Don’t bring that idiot’s wet panty clickbait drivel onto this board!

Ryan13, Jo Sta7, Solid State and 6 others like this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This dude saying he would take 720s over Pista and he hasn't even driven it? o_O Sigh... I could say more....a lot more...but will refrain...

Is this guy someone's hero??

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    People act like idiots when it comes to these cars.

Gh21631 likes this.
  15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    This guy is focused solely on drag racing. The fastest a car can go in a straightline over 1/4 mile is how he measures a car. End of story.

16. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    What is the problem with him despite many he uses his cars and he have fun with drag racing. As legit as tracking a car and better as just sitting the car in the garage. What i find shocking is that a 812 superfast cant keep up with the 720s and that is asking me if the 812 superfast underperfomce in client trim as my former f12 did. (could hardly keep up with an 991 turbo s on german highways)

17. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    My brother just sold his 720. $336,000.00 sticker 140 miles. All dealers wanted to give him 20k under sticker. He finally sold it for 10k under sticker. Independent dealer now has his and another one listed at buy it now price of, ready for this $379,995.00. But yet McLaren of Palm Beach has 4 openings for New ones. Go figure....

18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Wait- you stared this thread. He got the 720 and already sold it? Did he not like it?

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Sorry- reread your first post. You mentioned your brother keeps cars for about 7 months.

So is he ok with the depreciation or unhappy with it?

bz458 likes this.
  20. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    Had car 40 days. Loved the car but got spooked on depreciation. Bought a 458 speciale.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    There are 720's to be had below MSRP now. I'm passing until we see depreciation curve.

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    would it have been the same depreciation if he kept it a few months and put a few thousand miles? I mean, someone buying a 350k car spooked over 20 grand? Makes no sense.

23. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    OK, if you say so.

24. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Mclaren dealers generally won't sell new cars (especially 720s) outside their area.

Smaller dealers may have slots opening soon but a person in an area covered by a mclaren dealer generally won't be able to get one from a non local dealer to them.

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Actually I have a good friend who lives in scottsdale and is ordering a brand new car from Texas. Houston I think. He is on this board- maybe he will chime in. So I dont think the above is true. His car arrives next week and he has had it on order for a few months out of state. Local dealer was giving him the run around -wanting to buy a 570 first just to be able to order a 720.