MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 91 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    does he, i thougt about equal with 2 800hp lambo.. and lost badly to an 1100hp nissan gtr... customers 720s runs under 20 sec 0-300kmh (0-184mph) and looking into data 200-300kmh (124-184mph) with around 12sec is pretty much were a 700hp car should be like. Running on my 997 Gt2 a tune/exhaust/clutch and cooling with around 680hp needs with manuel gear change around 14-14.5secs in this speed range

Can you show me the vid were he beats a 1000hp lambo

2. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    i dont know how your car performe but my f12 my 2013 could not out accelerate an 991.1 trubo S on german highway. It was just not possible on the highspeed runs. in my books my f12 was fantastic sounding, a great Gt car for my purpose, but not as fast as the test cars. I was running slithly bigger rims, that could be an issue, but for sure it was not as quick as on the papers

3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    All this conversation about speed. While acceleration is an integral component of a super car, my priority lies with the dynamic driving characteristics of the car. Getting to one's ultimate destination quickly is nice but the thrill engendered during the journey is of paramount importance to me. This applies to street driving and track.

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My take on the Performante, 488, 720S- Only on the street.

Attached Files:

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There you are sir:

They claim 900, but I guess you get the point.

6. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    This car is a bone stock 720s.... an runs the 1/4mile between 140-145mph... (which is inline with other stock 720s)
    Maybe the owner can chim in here, as he is on the forum as well
    Those lambos hp are doublty questionable (even on lamboxxxx forum they are debating the horses). maybe on a dyno run but in real world, dont think so
    those aftermarket turbos/compressor dont deliver consistent power on street, heat handling is just non existent during highspeed runs

boobernackle likes this.
  7. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    His car is stock. As you said; it is consistent with speeds and times as other people with 720s. Not sure why anyone is even questioning it.

xskier likes this.
  8. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    People who buy $300K cars and above usually have more then one. It's not as complicated as car forums make it out to be. Small sample of my neighbors:

1) 488 spider, 720s and incoming performante
    2) 488 spider incoming, 720s, f12 and GT2RS incoming
    3) 488 spider, enzo, performante, aventador, carrera gt
    4) 458 spider, 360, scud
    5) speciale, 720s, gt3rs
    6) cali t (bought to get his incoming superfast)
    7) 488 spider, 720s, aventador

many more but you get the point...

many people have XXX amount that they want to spend per year or per month. They just plug and play with various cars based on price, availability and variety.

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Would love to know where you live.

10. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Beauty and lack thereof are certainly in the eye of the beholder. When the 720S was first unveiled I liked virtually every aspect of the exterior design, except the eye sockets. As I've spent more time around 720's I've grown to be neutral, or even like the eye sockets. I think they look best in medium to dark hue cars where the size of the sockets does not create as much contrast relative to the body color. Also, they look better in CF, an option that's surprisingly affordable, all things considered.

For those who find the car, and particularly the nose, to be unattractive, how much time have you spent around the car in person and in what colors have you seen the car? I'm not trying to win anyone over, just wondering how much of the opinion is influenced by 2d photos vs 3d viewings.

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Have seen 3 different 720S in person over a period of a few hours. Colors were orange, violet and burgundy. The first time was the orange . I was blown away by its appearance and so impressed, the front did not bother me. The next 2 times I spent time with the car, the initial excitement became tempered. I still feel the car is aesthethically appealing but less so. I then became more aware that the front lights cut outs were excessively large and disproportionate to the otherwise sleek profile.

12. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Check out Top Gear S25 E2 for a review of the 720s

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Harris simply confirms that the 720S is blistering fast. And in a not super car type of way, it is very smooth, compliant and easy to drive.

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Fastest currently produced car you can buy today (I’ll exclude the Chiron bc it’s so exceedingly rare and expensive) outside of a few low production hyper cars.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you like its appearance, love unparalleled speed coupled with comfortable, compliant driving dynamics, the 720S is without question, the car to buy. It will not disappoint.

16. truthfighter

truthfighter Rookie

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    truth teller
    you should get 458 sp.

488 worth like 250k in another year.
    there is no point at all buying 488, i mean even if you buy a lambo it will still be better.
    488 pista is the way to go. 488 itself it's just a model to skip.

xfrgtr and Tbonium like this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    :rolleyes:This has got to be the most stupid and baseless post I've read since I joined here.

SoCal to az, stavura and Napoli like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I disagree. There have been a plethora of dumber posts.

Shadowfax and SoCal to az like this.
  19. truthfighter

truthfighter Rookie

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    truth teller
    how much is your 458 worth now ? :)
    488 spider is around 450k new, how much is it now ?
    :)

this must be the stupidest fan boy reply in a long time.

xfrgtr likes this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I see what you mean.

spyderman likes this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Wrong again. The 720 just end bested the 918 which has more power. It really is that good, like it or not. Ferrari can't play right now, it is a race between Porsche, Mac and Lambo. Ferrari isn't even in the game at this level.

22. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

If you only care about speed, then buy one. If history, legacy, design, or any other passion matters, then you may not buy a 720.

McLaren doesn't even build a complete car. The engine is assembled by a third party OEM supplier and it was originally a Nissan. Some people are fine with that, others would prefer something else. So before you argue absolutes, consider the whole package.

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Performance matters when you buy a top tier sports car. Is it the single most important trait? I would say no. Certainly the entire package coming together is where the appeal is and that is unique to each person. However, lets not make excuses for one brand over another because of our personal preference. I get that many here are biased but most McLaren owners have owned F cars and still do with the difference of being more open minded.

Also I guess Ferrari doesn't borrow technology from other manufacturers?

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That's silly. Ferraris are on top of their game when launched. It's only natural that newer and faster cars will come along as time passes. How can you say that Ferrari can't compete, when the new Pista will almost certainly be quicker than the GT2 RS and the Performante round a track and as fast as 720 in a straight line?

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I guess we will find out soon no need to speculate. This certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings I would love to have a Pista but I'm not getting suckered into buying a Lusso first.

Shadowfax and Afonsolaw like this.