Mclaren a serious 2018 outsider? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mclaren a serious 2018 outsider?

Discussion in 'F1' started by st@ven, Nov 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Agreed with Pedro, exactly my point of view, too...I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think it will happen.

Rgds

2. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    I remember reading that the Mercedes engine with the Mobil1 lubricant that was the sponsor of McLaren in 2014 did not achieve the performance that Mercedes achieved with Petronas.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They'll have a meeting about it next year october, to set up a meeting for may 2019. Probably.

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Why would you want to be wrong?????

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    McLaren is playing the PR game to try to trump up some sponsorship money. That's all that's going on. This BS that they have "the best car in the field" is just BS.

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Agree....maybe the engine was not so bad after all....

7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Cost savings already in full effect. Black duck tape on a $6 million USD car.:D (its above the silver metal exhaust holding the monket seat arm)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I don't think it's the best but they will be competing for podiums next year with Renault power.

9. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    +1

and for completion purposes, I do hope so.

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    because I still hold McLaren as one of the historical "great teams" of Formula One, and I still believe their place is right at the top. Just as I would be very happy to see Williams regularly win Grand Prix again, but somehow, I find it hard to believe it would be true in a short to medium term; how the mighty have fallen...

Rgds

375+ and daytona355 like this.
  11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    McLaren had to make some modifications to adapt 2018 car to the Renault engine. AMuS.

[​IMG]

12. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 9, 2017

McLaren adapting 2018 car for Renault engine

McLaren is reportedly working hard to adapt its 2018 car to the very different Renault engine.

When the British team began the 2018 project, it might have expected to stay with Honda power beyond this year.

Instead, after three years of struggling with its Japanese works partner, McLaren is moving from Honda to Renault.

But Auto Motor und Sport reports that the Renault power unit has a "completely different architecture".

McLaren designer Matt Morris confirms: "We had to redesign the clutch and the gearbox."

The cooling and radiator requirements are also completely different, with Morris admitting that McLaren will simply rely on Renault's recommendations for the first year.

"Only with more experience does it make sense to develop something of our own," he said.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When the original McLaren / Honda deal was announced, one of the things Ron Dennis at McLaren said was they were finally able to tell the engine manufacturer how to better design the packaging of their engine layout for best efficiency for them instead of adapting and compromising their chassis design to the PU they received.

I guess that didn't work out so well. Back to square one.

14. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    RB designs are usually space efficient and they can accommodate the Renault pu already. I doubt mclaren will be too challenged with this situation as a result.