Mclaren F1 car crash,whats the go | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mclaren F1 car crash,whats the go

Discussion in 'Australia' started by scud, Jul 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I agree. As long as it is repaired correctly, it isn't a big issue. How many OHOS 250GTO's have had the crap belted out of them? Most, and they are all worth circa $10 million US dollars.

I would be AMAZED if the new McLaren's owner wasn't made aware of the history of the car.

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    And of course, as the GTO example proves so well... what better opportunity to make a few extras while you're there!

Wouldn't know about that though. Had my eyes closed at DK engineering for 2 years.

3. Jamsvx

Jamsvx Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    James D
    The mechanic (I think he is actually the the head honcho in the technical department) was still employed at BMW Sydney as of June 2004

The repair costs paid out by the insurance company were just under one million - the damage was actually extremely widespread

Dean also had an XJ220 and an Ultima

4. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    i throught Frank Seldoff crashed it himself and then sold it to Ralph Lauren.

McLaren cars constantly rebuild cars for customers any way, so i think the car is really a brandnew F1 with an old chassis plate.

Wonder if Mr Tony Raftis got a tour of the McLaren Factory and get to add all these extra little personalised features.

5. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    I think the RTA beggs to differ. Isn't VicRoads starting to crack down on cars that have a partcial or compete write off history? A few Ferraris has sent to the crashers didn't they?

6. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Have a look at: http://www.maranellomotorsport.com.au/sales.asp

TR owns another 2 McLarens. I think it's safe to assume that the welcome mat is well and trully out at McLaren.......

7. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

IF and I say IF, a few Ferraris went to the crusher, I think you will find it was related to an import scam/tax rip off. The rumour went round the traps a while back; but I haven't seen any proof of it happening.

8. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    that's really good, the 16R and the famous LARK F1 long tail.

They aren't in the country right? i would think its sensible to sell them to the european or usa market. if i amTR i would have kept the f1 for myself, it will worth quite a bit of money after 20 years.

9. Lamoose

Lamoose Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    Melbourne
    Frank Seldoff wasn't driving the LM when it was crashed. AFAIK, after it was sold to Lauren (ie. not in Seldoff's hands anymore) it went for a service/tune up (by a BMW mechanic) and then that's when the accident occurred. Then sent to the factory for repair.
    When it happened, there were lots of details shared about it in the online McLaren F1 enthusiast community (or whatever you want to call it); I'm sure someone may fill us in a bit more.

Oh and Aircon: I'm not famous.

10. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    yeah, i think you have a good point there. i was told that the RTA would not let you export it, or fix it just straight to the crusher.

btw, i really like yellow on that car, i think that particular combination really bring out a very special sence of the f50,

11. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

They are not here at this point in time. I don't know if they intend to bring them in either and a number of those other cars on the site are currently in Europe.

Well, they are in the business of selling cars so I guess everything is always for sale.

12. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

VicRoads are a business, like any other government department today. Their normal procedure is to seize and auction, so I would be surprised if they would crush a car rather than cash in. If you keep an eye on the Saturday papers you can see cars Auctions of cars that have been seized periodically.

Yellow F50's- best colour for them!

13. injektilo

injektilo Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2005
    Spot on according to this thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=374078&highlight=mclaren+crash

Happened two weeks after Lauren bought it (Apparently for USD$2.75M), during a service.

14. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Damn!

15. injektilo

injektilo Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2005
    #40 injektilo, Jul 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    Yeah, i see the logic.... you are quite right.

you are absolutely right on.

17. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman

brake testing? ummm..... any type of excuse just to drive a McLaren...

18. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    if i am correct, this car is not a production car, it is a mule for the rear crash test.

The giant muffler is also used as a "rear bumper" crumple zone i guess, to minimize damage to the transverse gearbox and the engine.

the photo of the Silver McLaren is definately a prototype clinic model.

its funny how porsche is braging about their Carerra GT being a superlow v10 with magnisium casted transverse transmission while the McLaren had that 10 years ago.

19. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    looks like one of the many Mac accident to me ......take your pic as to which one!

20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Phew!