McLaren fails to get sponsor for 2018 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

McLaren fails to get sponsor for 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Dec 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Where did I claim that? Also, let's be honest here, you don't know squat about their contract actually was.

Then we watched the last 3 years...

Lol, apparently you've never run a business. When something is not working after giving it ample time and resources you part ways rather than let it bring your brand down to the point of no return.

So lets take some bets. I'm thinking McLaren will finish 4th in the WCC easily and be a regular challenger for the podium. What's your take?

This whole thread is garbage. Switching to Renault was a VERY smart move. You just wanted to see McLaren languish at the back forever and it irritates you they won't be anymore.

BMWairhead likes this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    POSSIBLE title sponsor for Mclaren

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Irn-Bru is a Scottish carbonated soft drink, often described as "Scotland's other national drink". It is produced in Westfield, Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire, by A.G. Barr of Glasgow.

[​IMG]

Igor Ound likes this.
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Not quite as cool as Red Bull

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Irn Bru, title sponsor?, their market is vibrant but ridiculously small, unless title sponsorship is very very cheap, I don’t see it. Tastes like crap unless drunk with deep fried mars bar on the side!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Honda giving McLaren engines for free ?.......they had to......they were crap ! If Hondas own technicians can't get their own engine to perform, McL were well rid of it at any price.......because as it was there wasn't any point in being in Formala 1......and being at the arse end of everybody's jokes.
    Now, they have not only a good chassis, but potentially, a good engine.....lets see what they can make of it.......we'll soon find out anyway.

Their rightful place is in the top four, and Alonso will give it his very best shot, and I'm still not convinced the ''Reds'' will be up to it this year.....
    Soon find out, anyway. !

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    By "Reds", I sure hope you mean Ferrari!

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Ah... no. Ron Dennis negotiated one of the biggest F1 deals in history that everyone on Fchat and the other manufacturers thought would bring McLaren to the front over time. This included Honda's insistence to bring back Alonso despite the bad blood of Alonso's involvement in SpyGate. To do this they agreed to pay half of both drivers salaries for the next TEN years.

So before you criticize Honda too much remember that the mighty Alonso might not even have a ride now if it weren't for Honda's sponsorship

McLaren threw away one if the best sponsorship deals of all time to keep Alonso and get the third best engine in F1. Now they are scrambling to find cash before their Middle East backers start to say "enough".

Igor Ound likes this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I know where you're going with this, totally understandable....but it's debatable upon how the 2018 season goes now that the Mac's have a Renault engine and STR have a Honda engine.

Mac's won't go threw 20 engines per season as in their previous years with Honda thereby placing them in the back in WCC pts. They are a POSSIBLE 4th place contender for 2018.....MAYBE 3rd but the RedBulls have better drivers compared to the Mac's....Van is not better than Mad Max nor Ricci. The Mac's will move up in the WCC pts for 2018....which means more $$$$$....maybe not as much as they were getting with Honda but it's a step in the right direction IMO and more sponsors will join in as the season goes ON TOP OF Zak "pounding the pavement" for more sponsorship.

I know you don't approve of Zac's philosphy in this switch but let's just wait and see how this season goes.

9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #135 Igor Ound, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    That’s exactly what everybody was betting they would do for the last three years with the difference that this year there is no way they can do any better than that.
    Also last year everybody was betting on Red Bull to do much better thanks to their great chassis and a strong and “reliable” Renault engine. Sounds familiar?

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I think Honda and Red-bull already had a pre-agreement to eventually get together anyway after Ron Dennis vetoed it the first time over all while keeping bashing his exclusive free PUs. Honda might be just using their last seasons to experiment and get ready to win again in 2019 in a Red Bull chassis.

TheMayor likes this.
  12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Sad but I'm afraid the way F1 is now there's not gonna be a place for McLaren to be competitive.
    They don't have the resources of Ferrari Merc and Factory Renault team.Just my 2 cents worth :)

13. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Jonathan Neale(?) on Grand Prox driver indicated McLaren were worried the team would lose Alonso and implode if they stayed with Honda. Sounds like a very difficult challenge.

Off topic, the RAC club and Motorsport have a podcast series (I think it's very good). In one, Nick Fry and Ross Brawn describe Honda's exit and the birth of Brawn GP. I found it informative.

14. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Yes, but there are a lot of ''what iffs'' in Formula 1.........and with those massive splitters sticking out front of all the cars now, 25% of the field won't make it past turn one intact ! It will cut down on some of the dicing for sure.......there won't be any near misses, or just a bit flying off. There will need to be a few guys around with a brush and shovel.

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That's gonna be crazy to watch :D

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Igor Ound likes this.
  17. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
  18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #144 Igor Ound, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Given they always seem to go backwards with their development only way to catch up might be to start ahead but right now the big loosers seem Mclaren, again

Red Bull have until May to choose between Honda and Renault. Their decision will be a good indicator of how good Mclaren’s decision to switch has been

19. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Winners and losers are measured in points, and they don't start giving those out till Melbourne.

RB should switch to Honda and stfup. They've complained enough the last four years.

BMWairhead likes this.
  20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    RB are so annoying at times :confused:

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Remember that Honda was designing their PU under McLaren specs and packaging. Now they are free and can do what they think best for the PU.