Mclaren Honda heading for a divorce for 2018 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Mclaren Honda heading for a divorce for 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, May 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap..a big one...even i start to feel sorry for them...but them i remenber 1986 till 1991..and i stop :)

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner.

F2003-GA likes this.
  3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    It seems the Brits' last and only hope is asking for French help against a difficult situation developed with Japanese, Italian and German power. Coincidence? ;)

F2003-GA and subirg like this.
  4. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    All we need is the Americans to save everyone ;)

Carbureted big blocks!!!!

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    The roles are very much reversed. Americans need Italian help! ;)

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I wouldn't go getting your hopes up too much that McLaren are about to start making their own power-units, their preferred option is still to have an outside power-unit supplier, but they want an independent supplier rather than a manufacturer's power-unit from a rival team.

Making their own power-units appears to pretty much be a last resort, and then only if it can be done on the cheap!

7. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

McLaren like BRM ?

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Mac will get the renault for a couple of years and try to convince Porsche coming in and giving them an engine for 2021....this will be it!

9. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Bring back the H-16!!!!

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I cannot for the life of Me, understand why Toro Rosso would want to swap the Renault power-unit it shares with its sister team Red Bull, for a Honda power-unit that has for the last 3 seasons proved to be a complete pile of cr:censored: p!

As far as I can see, it's F1 performance suicide! - Even Sauber managed to work that one out!

Caracciola likes this.
  11. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Perhaps Red Bull is not 100% happy with Renault...and wants to use the junior team to give Honda a second chance to come up with a winning engine. If Honda can beat the current Renault PU Red Bull could then switch it to the senior team and have what is now missing. And Honda might be putting some money in the TR pockets too.

Alonzo gets a last chance to prove his worth...as does McLaren...as does Honda...in ways that gives all three some face saving cover. And maybe Robert Kubica (with Renault's blessing) goes to TR (replacing Sainz) for his re-entry into F1!

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honda gets sent down to the minor leagues.

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Well, Toro rosso only exists to test youg drivers for the senior team..they can do that with a Honda engine...and that one can come for free, and if it comes good one dayu, it's a nice alternative for Red Bull...

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Takahiro Hachigo, CEO of Honda: "We have lost our identity"

According to rumors coming from Japan, the leaders of Honda's leadership, led by President, Takahiro Hachigo, are in favor of leaving with a slamming door , before what they consider a de facto degradation, as it is to go from a historical team like McLaren to an affiliate such as Toro Rosso.

The alliance with McLaren, for the time being, did not bear fruit, and the tension between the two marks is more than visible. Los últimos rumores dan por culminada la relación. The latest rumors culminate the relationship. A ello se le añade la visita del director deportivo, Masashi Yamamoto en Monza, en el pasado Gran Premio de Italia. Add to that the visit of the sports director, Masashi Yamamoto in Monza, in the last Grand Prix of Italy. Esto dio a entender que ambiente no es el mejor y que final con la relación con McLaren está más que cerca. This implied that atmosphere is not the best and that end with the relationship with McLaren is more than close.

http://www.thebestf1.es/honda-no-hay-dudas-de-que-hemos-perdido-nuestra-identidad-como-marca/

15. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    What if Honda puts its **** together and the engine becomes that awesome Honda from the 90's? I see it as a strategy from Red Bull to check what it can do in its team since being a Renault customer is not the best of all worlds.

16. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I think he most awesome engine from the 90's was Renault 6x it powered cars to WCC.

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Honda have had four years to get their F1 s:censored:t together, and it hasn't happened yet - So where's the evidence to suggest that 2018, with it's continuation of the same power-unit rules, is going to be the miracle year for Honda? :confused:

McLaren played the Honda "What if....." card, and it bit them in the backside big time! - My monies on Toro Rosso having serious regrets about this (possible) deal very quickly in 2018!

18. Srl

Srl Rookie

Dec 29, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    My very first post here to posit a question: if TR is for sale, is it possible the deal involves Honda buying TR for the rumoured $50m pa it was paying FA and coming back as full works team? Might explain Keys re-signing with a 'junior' team? No facts to support this - pure supposition!

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    3 fifth places as better result, 731 penalty places for changing engine, 56 engines in 3 years, ninth in WCC, 36 DNFs…these are Honda results since the comeback!
    congrats guys!

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    56 engines in 3 years :eek: ! So much for costs control!

21. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
  22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I guess if the FIA allows that RB will demand the same thing...Although you are right that the current situation does not do any good for F1 RB will argue that they would be in the tilte battle with Renault having more developing as well and this would be good for F1 as well....
    We are in a situation today where no team will leave any advantage to anyone else so I would be surprised if additional testing for one team will happen without the other team complaining loud.

F2003-GA likes this.
  23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound