Mclaren Honda heading for a divorce for 2018 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mclaren Honda heading for a divorce for 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, May 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Nope. If Boullier had done the study, McLaren would be on pole every race and win every race lapping all others...

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #102 jgonzalesm6, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Yeah, I can see that. Sato's engine might have been less "juiced" than Alonso's, or it could just have been luck. As you say, with so many dogs in the hunt, Honda can stack the deck any way it wants to.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Cuquerella: Honda lagging behind in simulation

Jun.15 - A former F1 engineer suspects Honda is lagging behind in the area of simulation.

This week, amid intense rumours of a looming split with McLaren, Honda chief Yusuke Hawegawa admitted the engine maker is having trouble with correlation between its test benches and the track.

"It may be that they have invested a lot but unwisely, or invested too little by underestimating the importance in this area," former F1 engineer Toni Cuquerella, now a pundit for Spanish TV Movistar, is quoted by El Confidencial newspaper.

He said Honda will be no newcomer to test stands and dynamometers, but may not be well enough equipped for the specific demands of F1.

"In F1 there is almost no private testing so the trend is to have increasingly sophisticated test stands.

"When you test your engine, it also depends on the coupling to the gearbox and also the chassis - how it flexes, how it vibrates," Cuquerella added.

"I have no idea what level Honda are at, but I dare say they are not the leaders in this technology."

http://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/cuquerella-honda-lagging-behind-simulation/

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That suggests the perfect logo for their F1 effort, The Prancing Ass.

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Meeting between McLaren and Porsche for a motoring agreement in Formula 1

It seems that Zak Brown and Eric Boullier, like Chase Carey, did not travel within 24 hours of Le Mans with the intention of seeing races only. According to reports from the French route, namely Diario AS, it seems that both Chase Carey, the boss of Liberty Media, and the McLaren executive, met with both Toyota and Porsche to discuss a possible agreement for both brands to bet Formula 1 with a sports project starting in 2021.

Following the meeting of the Strategy Group which was attended by several drivers, including the Volkswagen Group in which Porsche is immersed, lay the groundwork for a new engine regulation for the 2021 season, the year in which the current V6 Turbo hybrid with MGU-H will have already lost its validity. With these established principles, it seems that Chase Carey met with executives from Porsche and Toyota to try to convince them to invest in a sporting program within Formula 1, with the role of motorizer.

On the other hand, Éric Boullier and Zak Brown also had conversations with Toyota and Porsche. It seems that McLaren's intention is to leave Honda at the end of the season and bet on the Mercedes or Renault engines until the 2021 season. From that year on, they would try to collaborate closely with either Toyota or Porsche, just as they are doing Currently with Honda, but with different results. In addition, the agreement would have a clause so that Fernando Alonso could compete in the 24 hours of Le Mans 2018 with Porsche or Toyota.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.thebestf1.es/reunion-entre-mclaren-y-porsche-para-un-acuerdo-de-motorizacion-en-formula-1/&prev=search

11. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    That's why they call it a mule...

12. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Prediction: With the next engine formula... McLaren Toyota

13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It needs to be McLaren BMW as they already penned a deal for the future road cars to have BMW engines.

14. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    There were rumors of a Mclaren-BMW connection a couple of years ago but Mclaren ended up sticking with Ricardo. Do you have a source for this new deal with BMW?

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don't recall exactly where I read it. It was more recent and I believe it was a done deal. I'll try to find link.

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I don't know buddy, Maybe the BMW in the road cars IF the deal falls through or they offer technical assistance but IMO, I do not think BMW will venture into F1 as an engine supplier for Mclaren.

Mclaren Toyota or Mclaren Porsche for 2021????....I would go for Porsche for the engine supplier in the V-6T KERS for 2021.

17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I don't see any reasonable scenario where Porsche allows a McLaren-Porsche.

I suppose it would be possible if Porsche buys McLaren outright, but I can't see that happening. I don't see why porsche would do that. Porsche has multi decade supercar cred with the 550, 904 GTS, original 911 turbo, 930 turbo, 959, 911 GT1, Carerra GT, to the 918.

Porsche does not need McLaren.

18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    No it does not...not ever! However, if Mclaren is willing to buy Porsche F1 engines in 2021 then why not.

Mclaren, given the option, needs Porsche engines.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Porsche did supply engines to McLaren in the past; they were branded TAG, as Porsche didn't want to be associated with F1, and also TAG was paying for them.

A similar arrangement could well exist in future.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Porsche don't care about the road car issue that you have pointed out. Porsche do enormous amounts of engineering consulting for many car/motorcycle companies, heck they probably do some for Ferrari.

So if McLaren come along with a big enough cheque, Porsche will make them an engine, BUT we need to remember their last effort was a complete embarrassment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_3512
    Pete

22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    The difference is that Porsche was a small company back then not able to spend that sort of money. Now they are part of the VW Group and I do not see why VW should allow them to built an engine under a different name. Even with the Dieseslgate VW should have enough recources to pay for that without having a sponsor who takes all the positive publicity if they win and if they loose it is still a VW engine...Furthermore Porsche is busy in LMP1 at the moment.
    And after Honda failing big time I can´t see any big manufacturer risking the same outcome having 4 years less experience in that engine formula than the rest.

23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    How about with a new engine formula in 2021?...Lets say getting rid of the MGU-H component?...post #111 same thread.