McLaren Mp4-12C - great experience | FerrariChat

McLaren Mp4-12C - great experience

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Robb, Oct 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I was lucky enough to experience an mp4-12c yesterday for the first time. What an amazing car that I think received an unfair press roll out - the reason that I had never really looked into them more after the initial comparison videos against the 458. The British press like 5th gear were pretty unhappy with its feel initially. I think something was wrong with the initial press car because they have definitely fixed whatever was the issue...

Built very well. Fit and finish better than a comparable F-car. Carbon fiber was really well done. It was tighter inside than a 458 though with less room.

My fastest car experience previously was in a Ferrari f40. I once tried to explain it as the most violent acceleration I had ever experieced and was my benchmark for FAST.

Well, the Mclaren really blew that out of the water. I may be ruined forever because the performance in this car was truly mind boggling. I have never seen things rush up to me at that pace before. It is basically a rocketship. Brakes were also amazing.

Suspension was best of both worlds. While I don't know the real cornering numbers, the car really was on rails with glue because it felt like over 2 g's in the tight turns at high speed. And I think it would be a fine car for longer distances also - even with cruise control.

So anyway, the looks might not be to everyone's taste, but the doors and exotic nature should definitely tempt you. Cuneo the owner I met yesterday advises to buy one from a Mclaren dealer with a warranty (running about $4k per year). Well worth the insurance so you can worry less.

Great car. I will be very tempted toward the marque.

Robb

RonMathMD and johnei like this.
  2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I had a 12C for about a year. One of the best cars I have ever owned. Still miss it. Traded it as the closes dealer to me was 6 hours away.

Robb likes this.
  4. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Welcome to the club. It is our secret. If you think the 12C is fast, wait until you try the 720S! It makes the 12C seem slow. Enjoy the ride.

Joe

Robb likes this.
  5. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    love the grey mclarens... I hope to get one soon but I am thinking of a 570S

Ghibli68 and Robb like this.
  6. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Those bad press reviews were the best thing that happened for the 12C, as it meant I was able to get one for a bargain basement price. There's no going back for me... I'll definitely get other cars for various purposes but the McLaren is gonna stay.

Robb likes this.
  7. 2MS

2MS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you think the 12C was incredible you should test the drive all the other models (570s, 650s, 675, and 720) All have their own styles and personalities but they all perform to thrill and excite.

I've driven all (except the 720) and I was hooked and still can't get the feeling off my mind. Enough, that my next car purchase IS going to be a McLaren.

This coming from a Prancing Horse fan since I was a kid and now an owner.....truly a remarkable marque.

Robb likes this.
  8. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    they have moved the super car game into the future. love the MAC's!

Robb likes this.