News

McLaren MP4-12C

Discussion in 'McLaren' started by ross, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Rob Lay

Rob Lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Owner Miami 2018

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    i don't know about other stuff, but was at track with a friend. his 12C needed pads, he had uber bring him a set at track from McLaren dealer, he put them on himself.

2. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    That's amazing. I'm guessing the next gig economy app will be on-call mechanics who show up to change your oil, pads, etc. They'll call it KlUber.

3. markjeansonne

markjeansonne Rookie

Dec 7, 2017
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Mark A. Jeansonne
    My 2012 McLaren 12C is great. I don't want to write a book here, but the positives start with the CF tub -- completely different, positive from any other super car I ever had. It is a tremendous improvement in supercars. Of course, the look draws a crowd. There were some minor issues with mine (windshield wiper motor, light condensation) and the CATS went out (covered via federal warranty), but otherwise a solid, great car.

redcaruser likes this.
  4. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Overall I love McLarens. They are blazing fast and everyday useable. That’s not the combo everyone wants, but they have a lot of appeal to me.

Unfortunately my experience with my local dealer (Houston) was the worst dealer experience I’ve ever had. They are the only reason I don’t own one.

As always ymmv.

5. Rob Lay

Rob Lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Owner Miami 2018

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Interesting, our local dealer Park Place is 50% owner of Houston. I would like to hear more about the problems. In the Porsche crowd only problem I've heard with Park Place is high labor rates.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    Can you elaborate? I'm in Houston also...

7. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    It’s a long story. Not worth getting my blood pressure up over a toy. I talked to the owner and ultimately to McLaren NA.

If I buy one I’ll go to CJ Wilson.

ok458 likes this.
  8. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That was me. :)

As stated, brakes are easy. Brembo style caliper, just knock a few pins out and remove the hold down clip. If you want to track the car do NOT use the stock pads. It needs an upgrade to the Pagid 29 compound otherwise they heat soak and fade.

I've had my car for 3 months now have had one issue so far - leaking water pump and hose. Known problems with this model and I still had the original parts in, not the upgraded pieces. Water pump was replaced under extended warranty, was out of pocket about $1700 for the hose repair as that is considered a wear item.

My next door neighbor is actually the head mechanic for McLaren Palm Beach so I put the car on the lift at home and he came over to diagnose the water leak. The undertray is easy to take off, easier than Ferrari panels, and the underpinnings do not appear to be any more complicated to work on than other exotics. One down side would be its a bit cramped in some locations, so have to remove a lot of parts to get to what you want to work on.

The driving dynamics of this car are SPECTACULAR and the feeling in the cabin is near perfect. Best bang for the buck right now, IMO.

1mean3 and Rob Lay like this.
  9. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    SF
    Totally agree, still in love with my 2012 1.5 years later!

1mean3 likes this.
  10. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I can't wait for next week to take mine out of winter storage.

Joe

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I stopped by Algar yesterday and they just got one. I must admit I am tempted, but I have not even picked up my 430 yet. Not that as ever stopped me in the past I guess I will see if I have time on Saturday for a test drive..

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    You may not want to drive your F 430 after the 12C, especially if it's a Spider . The rear window is great..

Joe

Gh21631 and 1mean3 like this.
  13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have not even driven (I cant even count how many cars I have bought that I never drove, but the 4C, Evora 400 and i8 are among them) the latest 430 yet, last I saw it, it was on a lift at Algar getting the fabspeed cats and headers installed. Funny thing the only 430 I've ever driven was my 06 gearshift coupe, but the 12C is a spider. I think it is up on Algar's site, though not sure the photos are up yet. I spoke to them yesterday about the car and I will probably go over a take a test drive on Saturday, unless someone buys it before then. I need to learn a bit more about these cars, truthfully I never really had an interest in one, the whole swing up door thing (it is a pain to find a place to park I've had a few experiences in the i8 where I had to wait for someone to come move their car), was kind of a no go for me. Not to mention the issues I read about but I see now that might not be as big a deal. The big deal might be that I already have five summer cars (one not even broken in yet), and I only have so much time to drive, but I may buy this one to share with my girlfriend. She gave up her convertible last year, and she will not drive a stick, and after the Porsche's (my only drop top) rear end slid out (I tend to do that at times on purpose) when I gave it too much throttle in a straight line, she will never get back in that car. She likes the way the 12C looks, which is a good start. It may sound crazy, but I am like a little kid with too big an allowance, left on my own, I would just buy things to occupy my time (which is why I have 177 watches 300 pairs of shoes etc,) she keeps me as grounded as someone like me can be.

14. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    carnut I wish I had your problems...lol

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Trust me you don't. Every year I pack up all the stuff I bought and donate it, and then start all over again. Francis called me last night and we talked about the 12C, he thinks I (and girlfriend) need to drive it before we talk about making a deal.

16. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Getting in and out in a skirt is a problem.

Joe

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    No kidding right? I have 1 beat up old Rolex, and my only pair of shoes stink like no other...

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well I went to see the car and I realize I probably look at cars differently than most people, but considering the cars I already have, I just did not see how it would be used. For me at least cars must have a purpose, I could not see one with this car. What I did see that was interesting, was a California (It is a special color blue I've never seen before) that was a factory car. Sort of like an every day Ferrari, and a convertible that can be driven as an automatic. If it was not a holiday (I was bringing sushi platters) weekend (and the weather was calling for snow today) I probably would have taken it with me and brought it back when I picked up my 430.

19. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I occasionally get a kilt on and haven't had any problems getting in and out, although passersby do get a free show

20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Actually since I need surgery on my left shoulder (and my left wrist is already damaged beyond repair from arthritis/I'm a lefty), I had a hard time getting out of it. She is tall with really long legs, and pretty nimble so that was not a deciding factor.

21. Aiden

Aiden Karting

Mar 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Aiden Naughton
    Most of the people who are knocking the McLarens are the ones who don't and haven't owned them. It's the same with the Ferrari's. The ones who are telling people that they are expensive to fix and unreliable are the ones who have never owned one. If you want honest feedback, insist it be from an owner or previous owner, or someone with first hand experience. Not someone who heard about Bob, who was my sister's cousin ...

I have a 2014 Spider, its absolutely brilliant! ZERO problems. makes my Ferrari feel like a tractor. I would absolutely buy another without hesitation. I feel it is the best exotic car brand out there. When you look at what you get, and how much you pay, it really is a bargain. When you consider the company has only been making road cars (F1 being the exception) for 8 years, it is remarkable what they have accomplished!

Now is there a downside, yes. Independent repair shops currently do not have the factory computer to support the software, so you are limited to the dealer network for service. That being said, service is not as expensive as Ferrari. However, you currently don't have the option to go independent. This should change shortly, as the software will become available and factory trained techs will branch out to independent shops.

Gh21631 and 1mean3 like this.
  22. Boxer365

Boxer365 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2006
    Europe
    We have had 3 12Cs (2 Spiders and 1 Coupe). We have posted up a few articles on the experiences with the 12C on http://karenable.com just click the McLaren tab to bring them all up.

23. ross

ross Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    any comments on the idea of moving from an 05 430 to a '12 MP4-12C ?

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The 12C is a better car in every way. Just do due diligence. There are a few know problems that you can ferret out.... and just like any car, get the best one you can afford.

25. ross

ross Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i drove a 12c yesterday.
    very impressive car.
    the entry is fine for me but i can see how it would be difficult for some people. the door opening and closing seems awkward - the sensor did not react flawlessly and you really had to slam the door to get it to latch.
    visibility is about the same as the 430 and less good than the 458.
    i am considering it.