McLaren: No more Indy | Page 2 | FerrariChat

McLaren: No more Indy

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Feb 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    They were throwing everything away staying with Honda. Years of no improvement. Years of complete ambivalence towards failure. Failure after failure after failure after failure with no end in sight. It doesn't matter how much of the bill Honda covered, you can't build anything off of failure. Many times Honda has shown complete ambivalence and acceptance of their failures and zero desire to accept responsibility for them.

McLaren came second to dead last last year....and only 25 points ahead of dead last Sauber. 638 points less than MB.

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have it on good authority that Zac Brown has signed a large deal, but its yet to be announced, so I don't want to say - cause if I do - I will not get the scoop any more or an invite to his personal collection of cars...... but I agree, the money is going to run out - so either the board members - MO or one of the Quatari folks have to step up with personal funding or ... bust.

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

Its not the Japanese culture or way to air its dirty laundry in public. IF they stay in F-1 it will come good, but takes much more time. Honda started its 2nd time in F-1 in 1983 - with Spirit - then Williams - then McLaren from 83- to 86 the did not do much then they really started coming on strong. 85 was an ok year..... after that they were THE game .... the rules were much more open back then vs. today so it takes time. McLaren committed the gravest of faults in publically criticizing Honda .... they will either fold up and go completely away or stick in it to finally win. Sadly since Mr. Honda is no more- they've had an identity crisis... it will take sometime for Honda to decide to either be a budget car company or to make cool performance cars again.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If that is the case, good for them. But I don't understand why they would not announce it before the car is unveiled.

But its good for them and good for the sport.

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think they are using Dell to squeeze more $$$$

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

You assume Honda won't, can't or doesn't want to improve. I don't buy it. The Japanese are all about saving face. They will work 3 times harder now after last year.

Last year's engine was a complete new design. AND -- McLaren gave them the technical packaging and performance specs. Now they are free from McLaren's demands. I'm guessing you'll see a big improvement this year simply because Honda cannot endure it anymore and leaving F1 as a failure is not an option.

Honda wants to be in RB cars eventually. The only way to do this is get TR competitive and punching above their weight.

McLaren was more interested in keeping Alonso than they were their best sponsor.

7. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Right. Because the Japanese didn't care to save face in 2016 or 2017. It's been 3 consecutive years of failure. There is no end in sight. Honda can't build a modern F1 engine, period. If they could, they wouldn't have taken 4 years to do it. Honda is done after 2018, and McLaren may join them on the sidelines in 2019, as well.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Please spare me.... how long did Ferrari sit in the wilderness? All of the 80's? Should they have quit?

Honda hadn't made an F1 engine since the Senna era. Surely Ron Dennis would have believed it would take them 2 or 3 seasons to get competitive when he signed that 10 year deal of FREE ENGINES and half of his driver's salaries being paid.

Now McLaren has to buy the 3 best engine on the grid themselves and pay for their drivers themselves. They are going backwards.

WHY? Because Alonso was going to quit. McLaren gave up 7 more years of a Honda contract to keep Alonso happy for one or 2 years.

Dumb....

Alonso is already saying he's not sure he "will win" this year. He is just promising to "do better". Such confidence!

Then again, he's running in another series to make himself happy. So much for focusing on the job at McLaren...

maulaf likes this.
  9. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Ferrari's primary reason for existence was/is Formula 1. Honda couldn't build F1 engines from 2000-2008, nor a complete package from 2006-2008. Honda exists to sell transportation to the masses. Don't be daft.

McLaren's biggest mistake was letting Mercedes engines go. Honda made their position even worse.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #35 TheMayor, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    I think Ron Dennis felt Mercedes would never allow McLaren to beat their own team so he had to go elsewhere. The situation with Renault is different. Even now Renault is saying McLaren will be better than their own team this year. They aren't expecting much.

If you watch the Amazon video on the last Mac / Honda season, it's pretty clear that neither McLaren nor Honda were ready for the season to start. Having a completely new engine (at the insistence of McLaren) really put them behind.

Honda didn't decide to completely make a new engine last year and then "tell McLaren". McLaren told them it was a dead end and they had to start over.

Everyone likes to put 100% of the blame on Honda, including McLaren. The truth is -- they were both at fault.

And it was Honda's failure in their second season that set up all the problems, including Alonso's last year in his McLaren contract and his desire to leave.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What we all forget is that when the Honda deal was first announced, EVERYONE on Fchat said McLaren was going to do great.

They got free exclusive engines for 10 years -- no one else could run with them unlike the other teams. They got 100% of the technical support from Honda and half of their drivers salaries paid (including the highest paid guy in Alonso who Honda wanted even if Ron Dennis didn't), and Honda has outstanding success with McLaren in the past in the "turbo" era. The McLaren /Honda team seemed invincible to the point where the other teams complained Honda was getting around the testing rules by not officially announcing their joining F1.

To kill that contract after only 2 and half years seems foolish. Honda failed but it wasn't from a lack of trying or money being spent. It's just not easy to make an F1 engine against the likes of Mercedes, Ferrari or even Renault.

And to say "Honda screwed up 3 year therefore they will always screw up" defies logic. If that's the case, no F1 team can ever win again other than Mercedes. Ferrari was dead in the water for so long they were considered just another mid-pack team

maulaf likes this.