McLaren P14/720S launch - TRULY AMAZING | Page 3 | FerrariChat

McLaren P14/720S launch - TRULY AMAZING

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Scraggy, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    In a bad way or good way?

2. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    It looks like a car from 2025, really sharp and progressive, makes 12C on look like built to a price and time constraint (which it was)

3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Interesting car but no design originality with mash up of 458 lines with oddly integrated LaF/Pininfarina Rossa vertical strake behind front wheel. Boring front and messy rear end, particularly evident with white car.

Is body still aluminum? Same V-8?

4. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That vertical strake evolves from the door design of the McLaren F1.

Super Series models (12C/650S) have had CFRP bodies, using aluminum for the roof and hood unless those were spec'd in carbon fiber.

V8 in the 720S will be heavily reworked, growing to 4.0L of displacement.

>8^)
    ER

5. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    #55 911C4S, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Data

Data Karting

Dec 11, 2007
    What does that even mean?

No one has even driven the 720S at this point. All the claims about its performance will need to be properly confirmed with actual customer cars.

It's not like Ferrari, or any other manufacturer for that matter, live in a bubble. They have most certainly paid a great deal of attention to the P14's development and can run simulations to estimate its performance figures. Granted, they won't necessarily have a direct answer to the 720S but no doubt it'll force them to come up with another exciting product. Now Porsche on the other end... let's see but the GT2RS might not be enough.

In any case, I'm sure the new McLaren will be quite fantastic.

7. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    customer cars usually exceed factory projected times, so I'm no too concerned about the acceleration times.

If what the rumors about the gr2rs getting a time of 7:05 being true, then it's already slower than the performante. Some other rumors say the 720s won't beat the 2rs on the ring, either. But then again, I don't own any of them, so what do I know?

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    99% of the drivers of these cars come nowhere close to pushing the performance to the limits. Today it's all about what it looks like, brand marque, what it sounds like etc etc.

9. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    I would agree with this but add street racing at least in short controlled bursts. Safe or not people do it.

10. scrappy1972

scrappy1972 Rookie

Feb 20, 2015
    Fully agree. I'd also add acceleration/torque as it's a sensation that's enjoyed every time you hit the go pedal, even under part throttle.

11. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I agree to a certain extent. As long as they pump out as many as they can and over produce like they always have, that won't last long.

Even the new 570's are losing 25%+ year one and many say it's holding value better. Well, then again, probably anything will hold value better than the 650 which they were giving away.

Don't think P14 will be much different over time, especially in the $300K+ price point...too small a pool of buyers.

Think the P14 looks great and I'm sure Ferrari will lose some sales no doubt. Question will be how does F react to this in the coming years.

12. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    The only thing I do not like about mclaren is the fact that they pump out new models like it is water. Companies like Ferrari and Lamborghini add more value to a model by keeping it in production longer and just adding special versions along the way. This car does look sick though, I hope Mclaren stops their new model every 3 year thing though, because even this car will lose value quickly if they do.

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    650 was in production for 2 years. If they didn't change the front fascia, they could have redone everything but kept it looking like the 12c which would have saved residuals.

I agree- p14 should stick around- that will help. But if in 2 years something new comes out, which they will announce well before the release, prices are going to drop like a rock.

Btw- if anyone thinks depreciation is limited to Mclaren's, anyone see prices of f12 or FF lately? On par with Mclaren's.

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't see many, if any, 570S that are $50-60K under sticker as you claim. The lowest priced car are also modestly spec'd and asking more like 15% under sticker, are 1 year old, and have a few thousand miles on them already. That's totally normal and actually better than many other exotics.

Show me a $150K 570S and I'll buy it today.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There is a 2012 FF for sale for 173k with a little over 4500 miles. I believe these cars went for 350k plus. Mclarens depreciate, Ferraris depreciate, Lambos depreciate. They all lose value save a few select ones.

16. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I for one think Mclaren's best strategy is to push out the fastest cars possible as often as they can. If older cars take a depreciation hit so be it.

Drivers will always want the fastest and best-looking cars so if they can produce them in short intervals such as every 2 or 3 years they will do fine.

They don't need to play the Ferrari limited production game to try and save their buyer's residuals. The cost of ownership may be higher for Mclaren as a result but perhaps buyers are willing to accept that for a car that is higher performing than the alternatives from Ferrari/Lambo.

So in McLaren's world, you simply have to accept it might cost you a bit more to drive a faster and more advanced car if the 720S is an indicator of things to come. McLaren isn't playing by the same rules as Ferrari. They don't need to spread cars out every 4 to 6 years. They can iterate technology much faster and achieve much more in less time as a result.

17. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    That is what dealers will pay on trade.

Retail vs buy price are two different things as you know.

Also, if you call around (vs what you see on cars.com) you might be surprised. YMMV.

Good luck :)

18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #68 noone1, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    That's a meaningless number. Dealers always pay way less. If a customer can't realistically buy for that price, then that's not the real price. Don't forget the sales tax savings many people can get on a trade in vs private sale, thus a $150K trade at something like 5% is actually more like getting $157,500, which I honestly still don't think anyone is selling that low since you can easily sell for much more privately.

I've made offers, and nothing is even close to the prices you're claiming. The cheapest cars have low MSRP and some are the demos.

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #69 dustman, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    You nailed it. And if the 720 looks great and has emotion, which the prior cars just don't have, then ferrari takes a hit.

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

I have zero issues with this. Happy to be 2 years late and pick up a mclaren with a 100k haircut.

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike

I too am for pushing out models as quick as possible. Buy used if you can't live with the depreciation. If you have to be first on the block, then pay up and just enjoy buying the latest and greatest. If not, just patiently wait a year or two and save huge amounts of money.

Patience is heavily rewarded in the world of overpriced, luxury cars.

22. scrappy1972

scrappy1972 Rookie

Feb 20, 2015
    100% agree. One may argue that lower residuals actually help/enable accessibility to the brand for many buyers. If the 650 and 720 are any indication, a 2-3 year old McLaren will still be competitive with the latest offerings from the competition.

23. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    One advantage for many buyers in the new market is full warranty on the car where a used car may have limited time remaining or none. So you may pay less for the car but if something happens it could cost you on the back end.

Also, many buyers in the luxury market really want their own spec. Colors and options are very important and personal among this clientele. Mclaren can compete with the best in this department especially with their MSO. I've seen some incredibly spec'd MSO 675LT's with roof scoops, fender louvres, Carbon Fiber all over the place (or exposed CF) and all kinds of other good looking options. Not cheap but if the buyer wants it they can get it with Mclaren. Only limit with them is your wallet.

If you are willing to settle for a spec close to what you would have ordered or just any spec then waiting for some depreciation to settle in will save a sizable amount of money.

24. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I would not be surprised if this is the case. While the 675LT is faster than the 650S and more advanced, it also has something very important to offer over the other McLarens before it. Sans the F1, I think it's the first McLaren with a real emotional driving experience and presence. If they can further develop that in the 720S, yes they have a winner. Adding to that is the fact that we here in the 458/488 section already spend so much time looking at and debating this car. When the 650S came out, I couldn't care less. When they did the 570 series "sure, that's nice, but anyway..." etc. To me it seems like the P14 has already grabbed a pretty firm hold on some of us - and I'm sure that many like me, didn't really give a hoot about the P11/P12 cars. This could very well be the single biggest turning point in Ferrari history when it comes to rethinking their basic car architecture. They cannot rely as much on mystique and heritage as previously. Let's hope they're not too stubborn to realize that.

I think the nearest future will be the most exciting for exotic sports cars that has been for a very long time.

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I went back and forth between 650 and 488. I think the comment about lack of emotion rings true. 488 emotion and more visceral.

650 more sedate, quiet, unassuming. This is not to say 650 is terrible- it's great- just different. This is why I'm excited to get one later this year.

The 720- we will see but has great potential. I'm liking the looks, the power, the everything. Looking forward to seeing it soon and seeing how the whole market shakes out.