McLaren P14 spy shots | Page 2 | FerrariChat

McLaren P14 spy shots

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by noone1, Sep 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Rather bland IMO. Do not like the head lights and air inlets in the front bumper.

Pete

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can tell them apart just fine. Did you see this spy shot and think, "There's something different about this 570S, but I can't quite put my finger on it..."

The car is massively different than everything else. Yes, it incorporates some of the same design cues, but so do most cars. Do the FF and F12 not share design styles? Does the Lusso not share design elements with the TDF? Speciale with the 488?

It's not a lazy design at all.

3. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Correct - what we actually have here is an example of lazy commentary from TheMayor, whose predictably negative posts in McLaren threads have not changed one bit in many years. :rolleyes:

>8^)
    ER

4. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    I don't know how anyone can say the mclarens are not beautiful, they're not my personal cup of tea, but come on!!

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I noticed this too. To the extent of wondering if Frank Stephensen was part of the 458 design...? He did take the flying buttresses from the 599 to the McLaren 570.

6. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I can recognize many new styling elements (font light, front cooler (a little bit Scuderia), three dimensional sidelines, completely new rear design...) and a high sophisticated aerodynamic (it seems the movable rear end is adopted from the predecessor).
    I recognize the design language of McLaren, and yet it is a new car.

And that this car will burn every Ferrari is out of question, this is already proofed by todays models.

I am proud of my new brand McLaren, it seems they are doing everything right.

7. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    #32 lcworld, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What's mayor's beef with McLaren lol. I think the car looks great . However the bottom part of the car is blocked by the guard rails. I.wonder if it is actually fatter than these pics suggests. Also I thinkl it evokes the. Curves of themayor's favourite car, Dino. Still, it looks good. I Like the cab forward, low cowl design.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Thank you for the Dino-picture. A nice reminder how beautiful and unique this car is! I can understand TheMayor with his sympathy for this car.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes but as McLaren's number one fan boy on Fchat, you would. To the average joe they all look the same.

As a designer, I'm telling you this is lazy design. It's not moving the needle. Its step and repeat.

Its not a matter of good looking or bad looking. It's all the same. And its disappointing.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mine was red. :)

11. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    All Mclarens are very similar underneath those lazy external designs too.

They are an automotive company mired in lazy design, lack of money and a lack of respect for their customers.

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #37 noone1, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Quit lying to yourself. The average joe will call every exotic a Lamborghini. How do I know? Because they call my McLaren a Lamborghini. They called my R8 a Lamborghini. Exotic just means Lamborghini unless they see a Ferrari badge. Take the badge off your Ferrari and it will magically become a Lamborghini.

As a designer you're not a car designer. As a designer, the head of design at McLaren came from Ferrari, having been there during things like the 430 and MC12. I'm pretty sure he's a bit more in tune with car design than you are.

If you don't like it, that's cool. I don't like a lot of exotics, but I'm not going to call them lazy or inexperienced designs.

And speaking of moving the needle. Porsche never moves the needle and they sell more cars and profit more than most high-end companies could ever dream of. I'm all for moving the needle, but lets not pretend every car has to be drastically different to be a success. A good design is a good design. 488 hasn't move the needle at all, neither has the new R8. Both sell fine.

13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They put out some of the highest performance exotics on the planet and have been for 5 years. A 5 years old P11 car is competitive with everything new from Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini right, often in Spider form too.

How bad must those companies be that a brand new company, with "lack of money," can put out competitive cars?

Ferrari can't give you a CF tub in their $300-400K cars? Ferrari doesn't care about flex in their Spiders?

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #39 noone1, Sep 11, 2016
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You want me to defend Ferrari?

You're asking the wrong person.

I was one of the first to say the 458 to 488 was not nearly enough to excite me and others to really want it. But the 360 to F430 was as was the F430 to the 458.

McLaren has to work harder because it's not Ferrari. So, lazy design and models that all look alike doesn't help distinguish themselves as something to pay attention to.

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's subjective and merely your opinion. 348/355, 360/430, and 458/488 all follow the evolutionary pattern and don't break from the mold any more than P14 is.

There are significant difference in looks between 12C/650S, P1, 570S, and this P14 mule. You don't see it. I can't do anything about that. There's another guy on here who claims P14 is a 458 copy even though every response in that thread is that they look nothing alike.

See what you want, but don't go blaming others because you can't see it.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You just like to argue.

18. benmou

benmou Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2015
    Today, in 2016, do you known the most important difference between Ferrari and McLaren ?
    If you send a email to both of them, only McLaren will reply or even call you.
    I did it and that why people like VIP club or First class, to get the service or attention that you dont get in eco.

Ferrari is a train who have no more power but the inertie still push him.
    McLaren is full power.
    In 5 years, they are making 1/3 of Ferrari production !

19. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    They also make some of the most brutally ugly rears on the market. This 'P14' keeps this tradition alive and well it seems.

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #45 noone1, Sep 11, 2016
    Feel free to actually post examples.

Here, I'll do it for you. You can now comment on how lazy the design is. Feel free to compare:

Active aero vs no spoiler, side intakes that go from large to small to no side intake, front ends, rear ends, buttresses, flat deck lids, headlights, tail lights, and anything else you think is lazy...

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

By forcing product into the market.

You can go to any McLaren dealer today and walk off with a brand new car. If you try that with Ferrari you're looking at 2 years. Many new cars were sold at $50-$60K off MSRP (at least in the states)

If Ferrari made every car someone wanted to buy their sales would be double what it is. And they sell every car at MSRP, which we all know is an inflated price due to demand.

I'm not saying it would be a good idea if Ferrari increased production but it is a fact that they restrict sales instead of pushing them into the market.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow, thanks for proving my point.

From 30 feet away they all look the same.

In design school they would say that was a mistake. A car should have it's own personality and silhouette. When they get too close to one another they lose their individuality and ultimately their interest.

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not anywhere else in the world is it like that for Ferrari though. US Ferrari market is manipulated. Compare getting a 488 in the US to Europe. Sticker all day in Europe, normal wait times for new orders, and not hard to come by. You can even find Spiders already in Europe.

24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #49 noone1, Sep 11, 2016
    You're either blind or just lying. As I said, feel free to elaborate with examples other than, "they look similar for 30 feet away."

Surely you can point out why you'd mistake them all from 30 feet away. I don't know of anyone who went into the dealer to buy a P1 and accidentally left with a 570S...

Feel free to compare these silhouettes:

25. dud

dud Karting

Apr 30, 2016
    Boston
    What is it with Lamborghini having such brand power, anyway? Anything not a 911 (even a Boxster or Cayman) is called a Lambo. I hear kids too young to own a car yet name Lamborghini as their dream car.

I understand how branding works. What I must have missed is how Lambo did build this. And the synergy with Audi should rather have lowered appeal, no?

Maybe it is based on TV shows I don't watch (or Twitter feeds I don't follow)?