McLaren P14 spy shots | Page 6 | FerrariChat

McLaren P14 spy shots

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by noone1, Sep 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #126 Lukeylikey, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There's plenty of difference, like, every significant ine rear of the front wheel arch! The TR's many straight lines, emphasising that 180 deg V12, its bulk and flat, wide structure, yet still recognisably the same family as the generally much curvier and softer 348.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, merely explain why I'm disappointed with the P14, because I don't see this same clarity. If you see different, so be it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Thanks. I hope I can be wowed by the final car. I'll certainly be at Geneva.

3. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016

C'mon Robin, they're as similar as these 2 guys...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #129 noone1, Sep 13, 2016
    Sorry man, but I just don't get what you're trying to say here.

But here, better yet, I've created a 312rossa for you with 2 minutes of erasing one layer. I've created the best of both worlds, no need to decide if you like the 512 more than the 348, because you can easily just have them both!

5. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016

I'd also like to thank him for his effort. Maybe he just hasn't taken off his sun shades since 1st seeing those Mclaren images. Lots of new tech things in those pics to debate about.

6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Care to expand....

7. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    The ceiling lights will be the only pretty thing on that Mclaren stand if previous designs are anything to go by.

8. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    You took offense to my comment that saying all McLarens look the same is lazy observation even though I wasn't addressing any of your posts. If you don't think they all look the same then you shouldn't take offense to my comment. I stand by my assertion that claiming two dissimilar items are indistinguishable is either intellectual laziness or simple ignorance.

I was out driving around with some guys last week, two of whom also have 12Cs. We were putzing along at 5mph in an area of heavy pedestrian traffic and I heard a woman say "Oh look, are those Corvettes??" and her husband dismissively responded "No honey, those are Ferraris. In this case I suspect both people are simply not car enthusiasts and therefore can't tell the difference between a Corvette, Ferrari, and a McLaren. But I would like to think car guys could tell the difference between a 570 and a 12C, as the differences are significant.

Maybe in time they'll develop a front engined GT or a big sport sedan that look entirely different than the current trio, but for a company that's only been around a few years I think McLaren is doing just fine.

9. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    #134 lcworld, Sep 14, 2016
    :D noone1.

650S looks exciting on the street. Low and wide, with a low cowl and great driving Imax visibilty. McLaren, more than any car brand, looks better in real life than pictures. Just saw one in Bangkok Paragon Mall, metallic grey, people taking pics. It's about US$1 mil. Days later seeing another 650s next to a 430 I noticed how much the lower the windshield of the 650s is.

650S, 458, 488, all look good to me.

Huracan looks OK but can be a lot better since it's got the Lambo design language to it's advantage(hope they do a major facelift soon). The high cowl, small eyes parts really looks inferior to the elegant Gallardo.

10. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016

Sure. In general your comments above are very professional and well expressed and show that you have experience in the OEM automotive sector. But what I detest, and blame many current design disasters on, is the unfortunate meddling of those "other" departments, like yours, in the decision making of the design selection process.
    Furthermore, your design assessments of P14, of which I'm not a fan of either by the way, show your unprofessionalism and gall to critique in detail something with a complete lack of knowledge or design professionalism. You may be good at what you do or have done but I for one would never be an owner of a car designed by a committee of unprofessional designers. Don't blame it on different company structures, design leaders should be strong minded individuals able to convince management to believe in their work. As confirmation of that, look at those strongly individual and characterful design bosses who led during the heydays of American automotive design and the tremendous successes of the European coachbuilders. Current corporate meddling has killed that era with boring and watered down designs and too many "Yes Men" in top level design positions. And please don't say that your critiques are based on your opinions. Because if that is the reason, then it's no wonder that the company(s) you worked for and where you were able to influence the final design probably never produced any groundbreaking designs. I'm looking forward too to the first 3D viewing of this new Mclaren, for the sole purpose of seeing what will surely be a groundbreaking design. Who knows, it might be good enough to get me out of my 458...

11. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016
    #136 Visioneer, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

I'd believe you if only their designs would just stop winning international design awards and continuous high praise. Which previous designs are you referring to? Also ginge, if you've been staring too long at pretty ceiling lights, it's no wonder your eyes are shot and useless.

12. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    ...and Milli Vanilli won a grammy.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's obvious that car makers use aesthetic to create a brand identity, and new models are usually an evolution of previous ones.

I think it would be strange to throw away a good design when you reach one, and try something else, just for the sake of being completely different. That would confuse the public, and mostly the customers of a particular brand.

Ferraris tend to share some DNA, just like the Lamborghinis have theirs.
    Porsche has been tweaking the same shape since the 911, back in early 60s!
    Most of the Porsche today are an evolution of the original design.

So, no surprise that McLaren is trying to create a visual brand identity.
    Some McLaren are more pleasing to the eyes than others, but they share the same DNA, in my opinion.
    I prefer the 570GT best of all. That looks a classy design to me.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its so funny.

If you post pics of the FF on Fchat people tear IT apart.

If you say the McLaren's are looking too similar they tear YOU apart.

15. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016

Earth to ginge, come in please.

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Absolutely - All manufactures are aware that a vast majority of consumers are NOT design aficionados
    and have a short attention span so brand identity is much more important than wining design awards

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I dotn get your ferrari brand identity arguement. Where is the identity between a 308 and 348 or a boxer and a Tr, otehr thna soem basiuc proportiosn the form is very different. Its like saying a 57 caddy and a 90 caprice are the same because they are body on frame pushrod sold axle cars.

Yes I get that a 355 is a follow on from a 348 they are essentialy a restyle and mechanical upgrade of the same car. But then a 360 is completly different again, and the 458 and 360/430 different language again.

Thats what i think some are saying about Ferrari, its always pushing some boundaries, its designes can be hit or miss Avant garde or not. Even the supercars, 288 to F40 very different, F50 dfferent again, Enzo different again, laferrari different again.

Sometimes as with the 550 and 456 they reach into the back catalogue, but even there they then move on again.

Maclkren, one tub, one motor, its like variations of a 911, which is a different way to build a brand. Given that the tub is good, and one can within reason completly restyle it, its really more like platform sharing.

18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    McLaren as a manufacturer has existed for less time than a single Ferrari model. The 458 development and production life was probably longer than McLaren Automotive has even existed.

There is no indication yet of what path they may take to build their identify and brand. For all we know, the first 10 years will be just like 348/355, 360/430, 458/488, and each segment (Sport Series and Super Series) will have 2 models spanning 10 years with similar design language before a drastically different design language is introduced.

P11/P14 are quite possibly no different than 360/430 at this point. It's entirely possible the follow up to P14 would be just as big a departure as the 458 was.

McLaren's designs, subjective opinions aside, are perfectly fine given the fact that they only have 2 models on sale at any given time, they're always 2-seat mid-engine exotics, and the company is only a few years old. They really aren't doing anything wrong or out of the ordinary.

19. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    McLaren has one tub one engine? You would be doing yourself a favor to educate yourself a bit before making comments like that.

Its like saying all houses are the same because they have 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms.

650, 570, p1, all different tubs. And p14 different yet again.

Same with engines.

And lets be frank, nobody knows or cares if a 430 frame is the same as a 458 frame which is same as 488 frame.

Same with engines. Ferrari v8s are derivatives of the previous Ferrari v8. Same with v12s. Nobody builds an engine from scratch anymore. And why should they, when the previous engine was was awesome and amazing, you don't just throw that away and start over, you build on it.

20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #145 Lukeylikey, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Quite a lot of assumption about what I do in there, I only gave very brief details. Also, by your definition there is no good or bad design, if other 'departments' should not be allowed, or are not capable of critiquing and adding value - you seem to be saying they should not 'meddle' because they are not capable, yet they often know what sells, and often they know that part better than designers. Usually, designers crave feedback from other areas of the business - ones that they trust. And guess what, ones that they don't trust, aren't usually invited to comment and certainly aren't listened to. Those critiquing might not ultimately be correct but their views can be helpful in challenging things. This kind of tension is critical in the design process.

Designers are from one country, but cars have to be relevant in many countries, with differing tastes. For instance, in Asia, the three box design is very popular. In Europe it is a few percentage points of the market only. Therefore, buyers of cars from other countries around the world are usually consulted about their views.

Designers working in isolation? It's not how car companies work, nor should they. There are many other considerations than simply what an individual designer wants. At the end of the day, designs get signed off by the CEO. And they are usually accountants, engineers or salesmen and almost never designers.

The 'pure' design from yesteryear is pure because the market was less demanding and legislation was far freer.

Ps: I thought you were going to elaborate on the groundbreaking features of the P14 from your post....

21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Isn't the thing about Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche that, even when they change their design direction significantly, the cars are still recognisably from that brand? For instance, moving from 355 to 360 was a big change, reflecting the new aluminium Alcoa tub as opposed to the 355's space frame construction. Very different design language but even without the badges, the 360 could only be a Ferrari.

Same for the Gallardo. That was a brand new model line, but unmistakably a Lamborghini.

Also, I dare say those (including me) who feel somewhat critical of the P14, would have cause to have been critical of various designs from the other three manufacturers in the past - for example, in my case, Ferrari 400, which I thought did not display much Ferrari DNA at all.

I take Noone's point about the length of life of McLaren and if they launch a few more models that makes sense of the P14. I could imagine that Lamborghini Miura owners would have reeled a bit at the 'new' Countach and may have said some of the same things. The Countach has informed almost every Lamborghini that has come after it.

I still don't really see the P14 in that same light though.

22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think the 360 could only be a Ferrari. I think it could actually be anything. The only indication would be the tail lights area. Without seeing the tail lights, it could be anything.

It's easy to say it's a Ferrari in hindsight, but if the 360 launched without a badge, in bright green, and there were as many exotic produces around as there are now, it could be just about anything. It's only easy to say it's a Ferrari because we know it was launched as a Ferrari and there really was nothing else it could be.

It could just as easily have been a new NSX imo.

23. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    To some degree I agree. The 360 rear lights are there and clearly mark the car as a Ferrari, but there is not too much else I can overtly point to. And, the same is true for the P14 too - the rear light arrangement is clearly McLaren and linked to both the P1 and the 570.

When the 360 was launched, there were only two brands it realistically could have been - Ferrari or Lamborghini, and it wasn't the latter. I do think I could have picked the 360 out as a Ferrari, even without the badge and in green. Impossible to know for sure.

Even if you're right, is now really the time for McLaren to be taking a different design direction, having barely established their existing look? Quite a lot of what McLaren do; model programme, design, power, tech, seems a bit too reactive and frenetic. Perhaps a bit of settling down, into a rhythm, would help them.

I don't really blame them - starting a new premium sports brand in this day and age is a really tough challenge. It does leave an impression of too many models based from the same platform, in the same layout, covering much of the same marketspace, with different pricing though.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Very much agree. All they needed was 2 models and they did not need to update or add new models every 6 months.

Unlike say Toyota, McLaren could have run their models a lot longer. They need to calm down and make clear statements the first time, not deliver and then update like they got it wrong.

Quite honestly I do not know what they are trying to achieve. One super expensive F1/P1 every 5 years and a cheaper model every other 5 years is all the needed ... but is there really room for another manufacturer?
    Pete

25. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016
    So the gist of this is which? That Mclarens look too similar to each other or that they should/shouldn't progress their design language, or all of the above?