McLaren P14 spy shots | Page 9 | FerrariChat

McLaren P14 spy shots

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by noone1, Sep 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #201 Peloton25, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    His breakdown was based on the Project numbers from McLaren which is how they denote the platform. If you want to drill that down further to the specific models it gets even more complex than just the 10 you have listed.

The primary point being made in his post is that each Project has used a uniquely formed, single-piece, carbon fiber monocoque to form the central chassis which was not shared with any of their other Projects. Not the "SAME".

>8^)
    ER

2. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    And that's exactly what I like about McLaren, they are clearely focused on mid-engine super sports cars.

They have developed a superior core technology and are using it now in their market segment most possible. A brand with a clear market position, racer sharp on point. Their products are in all price levels without discussion superior in terms of performance capabilities. BTW the most important feature for a mid-engine sports car. If performance is not the centerpiece nobody mount the engine just behind the driver.

IMO a clear unique selling proposition against Ferrari. Sometimes I have the impression their products are increasingly losing their clear profile. For example a 488 GTB is too much of everything for me. IMO Ferrari has been taken the term GT too seriously...

Regarding design: If you like the McLaren design or not is a matter of personal taste. Senseless to fight about taste.

3. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Isn't there always. The usual three always appear and we know that at least one is a known Mclaren shill.

The rage spirals and petty inuslts always happen too. Even more so when you post the TRUTH and they know it, but spend the next week splitting hairs.

One tub and one engine that even the company has admitted too. Simple as that.

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #204 noone1, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    So can you explain the F12/FF/TDF/Lusso/LF engines?

How about the 488/Cali T?

You keep ignoring this question because you know it's no different than McLaren and thus it hurts the absurdity of your argument, and we know you just love making absurd, crazy arguments.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You're joking right?

Let's compare to Ferrari using your crazy person's method of counting models.

458, 458 Spider, 458 Special, 458 Speciale Aptera
    650s, 650s Spider, 675 Lt, 675 Lt spider, 650s can am Spider

LF, LF Aptera, Fxxk
    P1, P1 GTR

570s, 570gt, 540c
    F12, TDF

Wow so many more McLaren "models"... 10 vs 9 OMG!

6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Haven't you answered his question for him? 2 engine lines (V8 line and V12 line) for Ferrari v 1 for McLaren? A bit confused why you're arguing this.

That also has an impact for models too - McLaren's 10 from one format (mid V8) against Ferrari's 10 (including Cali) from three formats (mid V8, front V8, front V12).

Personally doesn't bother me that McLaren only provide one format, but one it is.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #207 noone1, Sep 17, 2016
    It's not the number of engine lines, is the number of models.

P11, P12, P13 use the same general engine design.
    LF, FF, F12, Lusso use the same general engine design.

The number of engine lines is irrelevant without the context of how many models you have. Of course Ferrari will have more engine lines -- they have 5 models vs McLaren's 3.

Saying it's a problem or issue makes no sense unless you agree the V12 in the F12, FF, Lusso, and LF is also an issue.

Saying Ferrari has more general engine designs in use is meaningless. They have more models, so obviously they'll have more, just like VW probably has 100 engine designs across 50 models.

And no, McLaren doesnt have 10 from one -- there are 3 modern cars. Ferrari has 5. Or 2/4 if you remove out of production cars like the LF and P1.

It's retarded to talk about what engine is used in a spider or speciale or LT or China Edition or Can Am. They obviously will use the same general engines. When have they ever not?

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Noone1,

I'm not comparing to Ferrari in numbers of models. I just believe McLaren should only have 2 models; 1 should be like the 540 and the other like the P1.

I don't care that Ferrari are trying to compete with Toyota and making lots of models, I'm just saying I do not see the sense in McLaren marketing 10 models. Surely that costs more and confuses the clear marketing direction.

Its a tough world out there to be manufacturing and selling anything let alone sports/super cars. I believe simplifying would be best and not trying to take on Porsche and Ferrari.

Now I do not know their business model, but from where I sit on my couch in Tauranga New Zealand it seems very complicated with all these models that differ only slightly (to me).

For example what is the difference between a 570S and 570GT? My understanding is the S is more hard core and the GT more practical. As they sell the 650S is the 570S really required; IMO no.

Again just my opinion, but keeping things simply has always been a valid philosophy.
    Pete

9. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    #209 frefan, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In actuality McLaren do only have 2 model lines. The 570 series and the 650 series. There is no P1 line. You can't buy a new P1 and they have no other hypercar (yet).

The 570C is only sold in China. Its not a US car, and for the most part doesn't count. Nor can you get a 570 in China. They are mutually exclusive (something to do with regulations). In US its only the 570 and in China its only the 540. Maybe McLaren lists it as another model to "pump up" their portfolio, I don't know.

The 570GT is McLaren's first attempt at a hatchback. It has somewhat more storage. In some areas there's a market for it. Its not my cup of tea personally but then neither is an FF.

The 570 is designed more for a certain price segment around 200k. It lacks the sophisticated hydraulic suspension and electronics that go along with that. But some would say as good a car. More like a Ferrari California.

The 650 is more like 488. The P14 will replace the 650, and rightly so its 5 years old now.

McLaren don't really have any GT cars to answer to Ferrari's F12/FF/TDF/GTO, etc. Although one could argue the 650 is dual purpose car due to its hydraulic suspension, it can be a sports car or a GT car with the flip of a switch.

Don't forget McLaren also make a series of GT3 and GT4 racing cars that are extremely competitive and doing quite well in the racing circuits, going head to head with Ferrari GT challenge cars in series like the Pirell World Challenge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay I'll accept that they really only have 2 models with a few trim type differences making up the difference.

I also accept that McLaren marketing will be trying to make the most out of the line up for their internet site which is why they still list the P1, etc.

I find it amusing you say the 570GT is a hatch back (?, surely you can't have a mid-engined hatch back). If I came into lots of money the 570GT is the one I would look at first because from what I have read it is a more relaxed car, ie. a Grand Tourer instead of a nervous race car on the road thing. Therefore I expect I would put more miles on it and enjoy it more which equates to more bang for my buck.

I also think it looks considerably better than the very ugly (imo) 570S and yes I have seen one in the flesh and still have nightmares about the engine cover design ... lol

I see a coupe of McLarens in Tauranga and they do look like tidy designs. They are the earlier designs with the simplier headlights.
    Pete

11. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #211 Peloton25, Sep 17, 2016
    Just because you have convinced yourself of something outlandish and dramatic doesn't make it factual, nor does promoting that idea decrease the absurdity of your own positions.

I am not a shill. I had more than a decade of posting history, sharing my enthusiasm and knowledge for McLaren, before I ever met a single employee of the company. I have never submitted an application for employment with them and no position has ever been offered to me. Nothing I say or do is intended to curry favor with them in any form or fashion - I'm simply continuing to do what I would have always intended to do regardless of any recognition from them. There is zero quid pro quo here!

At times I have even been critical of their choices - most recently to have backtracked on what they said to buyers in regards to the 675LT being only a Coupe, and then along come 500 more Spiders.

>8^)
    ER

12. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #212 Peloton25, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Surely you can if the engine sits low enough. :cool:

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I stand corrected. I checked the McLaren site too ...
    Pete

14. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    It's roughly the space where the convertable folding roof would go on a spider. When combined with the shelf space thats normally behind the seats of a standard 570 it creates a sizeable area, with a glass opening on the curb size. More of a side-hatch than a hatch back. Its definately more GT like, quieter, comfy but still insanely quick for a stock street car. McLaren were hoping to get 150 test drives at pebble and they got over 400 (I was there). It was popular.

15. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    You can see why. It's a beautiful design - their best except the F1.

16. dud

dud Karting

Apr 30, 2016
    Boston
    I hear there will be a Panamera wagon. I want a 675 wagon with a vertical rear.

17. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016
    I'm looking forward to their recently announced front mid engine 6 seater. My kids are gonna love the school run if it looks anything like the spy shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Free flights, gifts and a direct line to the company to be fed information and you have coughed to wanting to work there. Mmm...

I will leave it to each poster to determine what your motivations are.

19. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    They paid for one flight for me to attend the P1 reveal in Paris in 2012 and there was one gift sent on my birthday the previous year by the same executive who made those arrangements. You're imagining anything else you want to attribute to my enthusiasm for the brand and their cars, which was already solidified long before any of that occurred.

What would you say are the motivations behind my enthusiastic posts about Ferraris or any other brand? Surely if my intentions were as you claim then there would be nothing of the sort, and yet there are quite often.

I would call you deranged but that might be against the rules, so I'll leave it to each poster to determine whether there is any logic to your claims and what your mental state might be. :p

>8^)
    ER

20. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    You have accepted free flights. Fact.
    You have accepted gifts. Fact.
    You have posted on this very forum that you wish to one day work there. Fact.
    You have the personal email address of at least one Mclaren employee who has passed along information about their products/company to you. Fact.

Again, I will leave it to the individuals here to determine what your motivations are.

21. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yeah - you clearly have it all figured out with your "facts". :D

I appreciate how much you care, really I do. ;)

>8^)
    ER

22. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Yes, I think I pretty much have you figured out at this point.

23. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You embarrass yourself - but of course that doesn't actually matter with your bogus, anonymous profile that you use to spew consistently ignorant claims and dubious "facts" on an internet message forum.

There are people here who know me personally and others who can read between the lines of your "facts" and have no doubt that my passion and enthusiasm for the McLaren brand wasn't bought with a couple of nice gestures.

Get a life. :)

>8^)
    ER

24. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    People can make their own minds up about your motivations. As an aside, given just how prone you are to posting petty insults, perhaps you should rethink who is spending their time here embarrassing themselves.

Nothing I posted about you was untrue. Nor was what I posted about Mclaren.

25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Point taken.

BTW, my comment about chassis and engine wasn't a criticism, but a praise.

I am a fan of McLaren which is just down the road from where I live.