News

Mclaren Speedtail: Mclaren F1's new 3 seat successor

Discussion in 'McLaren' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Mj_1963217

Mj_1963217 Karting

Mar 4, 2013
    The problem is the Monza isn't a hypercar, and McLaren aren't selling a bodykit. This car offers many nice features and the overall design is certainly unique, but it does not offer enough for it to be distinguished as a new generation hypercar. Besides cosmetics, the car offers nothing ground breaking. It shares the tub with its lesser siblings, you can prove me wrong about the hybrid-system but a rear-wheel drive ICE+Battery assistance set up and the fact McLaren's been holding back the spec just makes me wonder how awfully similar this system compares to the one in the P1. Among the three hypercars that are coming out in the next year or two, this one undoubtedly is the most kitcar like. Like a chat member mentioned in a previous post, McLaren does an amazing job of offering the best overall products when it comes to its sports and supercars, but I'm afraid this time it came up short again in the hypercar category.

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Who said it's supposed to be a "hypercar"? I never expected it to be. It's always been known to be a 3-seater GT car a la Bugatti. It was never supposed to be like the One or the Valkyrie. The "ground breaking" part is the center seating position. There is no other road car in existence that offers 3 seating like this other than the F1, as far as I know. That was always the main selling point and that's what they delivered. This was widely known on the McLaren forums, so maybe people here just weren't aware of it.

They've create a 3-seater with straight line speed greater than a Veyron that weighs supposedly 1000-1500 lbs less. Sounds perfect to me. It does in fact use some cool technology too. For example, the body panels at the rear are painted, flexible CF. The CF is physically deforming. No other cars doing that right now, right?

It was never intended to be like the Valkyrie or the One.

redcaruser and F2003-GA like this.
  3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I will believe the next gen hypercars when I see them. F1 street cars are like flying cars, always soon to be available. Speedtail is real and middle seat is unique enough on its own to make it more desirable than chiron

Jo Sta7 and of2worlds like this.
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'll give them credit for that. That is a unique idea and is actually pretty simple to execute (as most smart ideas end up being simple breaking it down). They didn't use resin on the "joint" where it bends as another user stated earlier in the thread. I doubt anyone here other than LMPdesigner has racing aero experience, but I'm not sure how much of a benefit it adds vs a standard wing. As Koenigsegg said, it's the underside of a wing that matter whereas on that car the flex aero really is being utilized on the topside and not underside. Either way it's cool and provides a clean look unlike ugly GT3 wings.

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jaz
    Wish someone would build a 3 seater in the 400-500k range with 800hp V12:p

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 Formula 3

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Isn’t Jim Glickenhaus doing just that?

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jaz
    I’d rather have one from Porsche Ferrari Lambo or Mac

8. BJK

BJK Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    yes, but with LT4/LT5 V8.

9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I think lotus should make next elise center seat in under 100k category

F2003-GA likes this.
  10. CRG125

CRG125 Formula 3

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Man this thing is hot, McLaren F1 is the best looking of them all. The plane is even nice too.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 Formula 3

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ll take the plane lol

12. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    kizdan, Tu160bomber, stavura and 4 others like this.
  13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 Formula 3

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That looks amazing imho way better looking than Project 1, Speedtail, Senna.

SAT4RE, NürScud, stavura and 3 others like this.
  14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Let's hope there are owners kind enough to show these rides out in public even if just static display. 106 cars is next to nothing so I likely will not see one for quite some time.

NürScud and Jo Sta7 like this.
  15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    the aston is definitely the looker of the bunch. gorgeous!

just wish they would make a simpler version at realistic price. with same outline and profile but not all the crazy f1 tech. that would be more than enough for me.

16. stavura

stavura Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    It looks like the car Pink Panther drives.

17. BJK

BJK Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Jo Sta7 likes this.
  18. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    It is amazing that they have only been building cars for 5 years?
    Their THINK TANK has got to be the sharpest people around.
    Looks no looks and NONE of these cars are on batteries, all wheel drive.
    I think its a neat time for such a small company.
    GTJOEY1314

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #194 Igor Ound, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  20. stavura

stavura Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    That actually looks miles better than the speedfail.

Igor Ound likes this.
  21. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto Giannini
    Agree ;)

22. Five

Five Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    The McLaren F1 is my favorite car. I met Frank Stephenson at Pebble Beach just before the P1 came out. He said to just buy the P1 because it was going to be amazing. It was supposed to be the "spiritual successor" to the F1 at the time, although Frank didn't say that. I asked him if it would have 3 seats because they were promoting it as the modern day F1 and his response was "why would you want to have 3 seats".

We went back and forth about it, he just didn't seem to get how the F1 was such a special car. He said 3 seats wasn't really practical and I said I didn't care if I had to unbolt and rebolt the seats with a socket wrench to get in the car each time I needed to get in (in the F1, you can remove the steering wheel to get in). I never got the P1. It does look nice. Not F1 nice but nice. Not nice enough for me.

The Speedtail, on the other hand, looks ridiculous. It is the spiritual successor to the Jaguar XJ 220 for sure. Maybe it is better in person but I can't see it. They should be forbidden from mentioning the F1 when talking about this car. If the Speedtail didn't have a 3 seat configuration, nobody would be talking about it at all. I do really like the Aston Valkyrie and wish McLaren had that kind of car design w/center driving position instead.

I'm glad to hear Frank Stephenson will no longer be McLaren's designer. I believe he also made the Maserati MC-12 back in the day which wasn't bad. And the P1 wasn't bad. But McLaren had an opportunity with the P1 to make something really special and they didn't. Now with this, once again, all this work by designers, engineers, etc. all gone to waste because the overall design of the car just blows.

And one last rant since I'm on it. This is for all the car producers. If you make a car and then announce it and say it is already sold out when you announce it, go screw yourself. You don't gain customers by telling people you are coming out with cars they can't buy, you just piss them off.

Tu160bomber and Jo Sta7 like this.
  23. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Speedtail is a good looking car. Its very 720ish. Its no F1 for sure, and I kinda wish they didnt make that connection. But in person it looks good, miles better than the Senna.

24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Like most exotics, even ones that look questionable in press pictures look insane on the road. The Speedtail pictures were just the car in some studio with no frame of reference. When you actually see it in the flesh, let alone parked near other cars (especially normal ones), I'm sure the car will look inside.

Just look at the Veyron. It looks super chubby and big in pictures just by itself, but when you park it on the street, when there is a frame of reference to size etc, it looks way smaller and way better.

Haven't seen the Speedtail in real life, but I'm sure it will be no different.