McLaren threatens to leave F1 | FerrariChat

McLaren threatens to leave F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Of course, its always about "the money". But its about rules making them not competitive? Where did that come from? Is Brown saying the rules help one team and not another?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-could-quit-formula-1/

McLaren CEO Zak Brown claims the team could quit Formula 1 if the 2021 vision doesn’t show a brighter future for the sport.

Twelve months ago Formula 1’s owners Liberty Media revealed their desire for a 2021 overhaul, and on Tuesday they will meet with the FIA and all ten teams in London to begin putting that blueprint into action.

Plans include changes to revenue distribution, a possible budget cap and new racing regulations, but June is seen as the deadline to pass such updates, meaning time is not on Liberty’s side.

To make matters more complicated, McLaren, who are the second longest serving team on the grid behind Ferrari, have said they may not continue in Formula 1 if the vision doesn’t give them a reason to stay.

“For McLaren it has to tick two boxes: to be financially viable and to be able to fight fairly and competitively,” Brown told the Guardian.

“If it wasn’t that, we would seriously have to consider our position in F1. That’s not a position we want to be in.

“People throw it out there as a negotiating tactic but this has to be a fiscally responsible, competitive racing team and, if we feel the new rules don’t put us in that situation, we would have to review our participation in F1.”

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Come on, Zack, that trick doesn't work for Ferrari, what makes you think that it's going to work with a mid-field customer team like yours.

3. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    Agreed. Until the majority of teams on the grid decide to take a firm stand, nothing will change. Teams can complain all they want about budgets, Mercedes and Ferrari included, but you know they're going to continue paying those fees as long as they stand a chance at winning or make money at the end of the year.

4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    They aren’t the first and they won’t be the last to threaten to quit. It’s a guaranteed certainty that Ferrari, Merc and redbull will all do the same before the 2021 regs are agreed. Then, at the last minute there will be a miraculous breakthrough and all will be well. And the regs won’t have changed materially, in particular around revenue sharing.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A budget cap can't and should not be the answer.

Limit areas where they can spend money (aero, engine and chassis), not by going standardized parts but rather simplification. If a team like mercedes wants to spend 50 million on a front wing because it wins them 1 tenth of a second, so be it, but the point is very little time should be able to be won by spending huge amounts of money.

There will always be top teams and **** teams, a team like Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull will always be able to hire better drivers. Right now we've got the pendulum swung way too much towards engineers championship. It should be so that teams can hire a better driver to win the most amount of time, rather than invest truckloads of money into clever engines and overly complicated aero that ruins racing.

Makuono likes this.
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Zak is showing his unlike Dennis used to.

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLOLO...so zack is now trying to become a comedian...i guess it's ok because he obviously sucks as team boss....

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's the clue !

Limit the number of updates allowed each season (engines and aero) .

TheMayor likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Budget cap opens the door to massive cheating, I think.

TheMayor and Bas like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm not sure that's the right idea...it risks one team getting it right and we're in the same **** all over again.

If we go back in time to 2002 (where aerodynamics was very much understood quite well already), wing development was far less than we have now... See below the 2002 Monaco wing
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    And the 2002 Monza wing

As we can see, the difference between the two front wings (half a season and vastly different levels of downforce needed) is barely noticeable. I'm not sure what exactly the rules where back then but rest assured there was a lot less freedom on what could be done re elements, endplates and whatnot....so less money would be spend there.

Now if we take Red bulls wings here:

Monaco 2018:

And Monza 2018

We see how vastly different the wings are. The concept of wings has changed drastically, everything is changed to correspond to other alterations of the car to work as best as possible. Impressive for sure, but crazy money consuming...

My point is if we simplify the wings to 2 elements, and maximum width of no wider than inside of front tyres, end plates without anything else stuck on...there really isn't much that can be done with them, and what can be done is well....cheap. The overall shape of the wing is free, but no elements are allowed on. It's a quite simple rule change that will save millions each year.

Clean up the rest of the body with same rules. Make the diffuser less complicated also. And so on.

That sort of tyre cover thing that the F2002 had, is actually a pretty elegant way to reduce some dirty air. Indycars solution can only be described as ugly (but effective, I'll give them that!). I'd like to reintroduce that. Again, limit aero development on that piece so it'll generate minimum amount of downforce.

It's quite easy to make these rules. Sadly F1/Fia is too afraid of pissing of some people in the sport and refuses...

John_K_348, daytona355 and SimCity3 like this.
  11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Because if you lost 2-3 mid-field teams, and/or end of the field teams(s) (Williams), you would not have any field. F1 is gone if there are only 10-12 cars on the grid.

What is so wrong with this statement? Everyone on here ******* and moans about the rules, e.g. aero, 'Mercedes', no passing, 'Mercedes', development, 'Mercedes', less complex powerplants, etc. To me the statement is just a similarly generalized comment. Just re-read half the comments thus far in this thread and they are saying the same thing.

william likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I go along with that.

I really don't like the way aero have developed in recent years.

Bas likes this.
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Yes, budget. Let’s start by cancelling legacy payments to old teams that don’t perform anymore and contribute 0 to the entertainment now Alonso is gone...

william likes this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Excellent idea. I suggest more at the front of the season and none at the back half. This way if someone has a bad design they are not stuck with it all season. But this idea of updates for every 2 races is just silly.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honda was giving McLaren FREE engines and tech support plus paid 1/2 of their driver's salary (which was mostly Alonso) in the 3rd year of a 10 year exclusive deal (aka no one else could get a Honda engine). Zak tossed them out so he could keep Alonso then became a BUYER of Renault engines. Then, Alonso quit even though Zak sponsored him at Indy and let him skip Monaco for it.

Good move? I don't think so.

Isobel, Bas, william and 1 other person like this.
  16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    As i said before..it was brilliant, just goes to show how good manager Zack brown (i guess the brown refers to the colour of what's inside his head) is!!!!

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Oh, and ince again Teflonso ****ed Mclaren..the guy is relentless!!!

william likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You were right all along, Mayor, I must admit, and I was wrong !

McLaren shot itself in the foot and is now in a rut.

The future is not promising for the team of Woking.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Alonso is no different than any other WDC-- he is ruthless and out for #1. If McLaren caved to his demands and is now in the hole, that is simply bad management. Tough ****.

Isobel and Hawkeye like this.
  21. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Make the cars simpler and you solve the budget problem. Limit wing size (front and rear) and no additional aero add-ons...but allow various designs for various tracks. Eliminate "energy recapturing" systems. Return to steel brakes. Eliminate DRS. Eliminate hybrid engines. And go racing.

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    There is no love lost from me for Mclaren....

Jean-Pierre Marchand likes this.
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I completely agree. Look at Indy car racing.

V8 engine with one turbo and done. Unlike F1 the only fuel restriction is how much they are given per race. Also, Indy cars have Push to Pass (similar to Party mode) but its limited for the race.

These F1 cars are way overly complicated for what they need to be. Give us more screaming engines that blow up once in a while and less downforce so there's more passing.

Isn't that what both the teams and the fans want????

Then stop this ridiculous idea of penalizing drivers on the grid! People come to see their favorite drivers race. The guy loses his gearbox that's no fault of his own and he drops way down to never have a chance to win. Its STUPID!

daytona355, SimCity3 and ago car nut like this.
  24. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Zack was brought in to a) find a major sponsor and b) get the team up the grid.

he's done neither.

now he's looking for excuses and scapegoats...

Hawkeye and william like this.
  25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Getting the team to the top of the grid would have been a tall order. But the least he could do was to get a proper and major sponsor. I think he has so far brought in just BAT? And some chocolates?