McLaren Underestimates Their Performance | FerrariChat

McLaren Underestimates Their Performance

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Ingenere, Aug 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #1 Ingenere, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2022
    I have always felt that my 570 was more than quick enough, since I can barely get into full throttle on the street and none of the tracks around here have very long straights. I dowloaded an app called 'Dragy' and besides not getting it to work on my phone, they have an area where users download their GPS acceleration times. There were quite a few stock 570s doing sub 3 sec 0-60 times.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kainedogg and Nik like this.
  2. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Yep Mclaren is notorious for understating :cool:

3. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    They accelerate almost beyond belief. I half chuckle every time I hear someone talk about McLaren “turbo lag”- uh, more like driver error.

SoCal to az likes this.
  4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I don't notice lag with mine.

5. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I still need to take a 570 for a spin, that's awesome!

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #6 Ingenere, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2022
  7. Soapman72

Soapman72 Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sean Allard
    My 600LT does exhibit a significant amount of lag, especially when compared to my 911 Carrera GTS, which behaves like a NA motor of larger displacement. That car has a small fraction of the lag that the 600LT has, and even my BMW M4 has much better response than the MAC.

That said, is the McLaren any less fun than the other two cars? Absolutely not. Is it faster than both of them? By quite a lot.

Understand, lag is present in all turbo engines, and the McLaren is not one of the better cars at minimizing it. Its fast as hell, and above 4K, I feel that it's response is more than acceptable, but the throttle response is light years behind some other turbo cars.

Will I buy another McLaren after this one? Highly likely. The acceleration is brutal, and downright addictive. Just dont try to tell people that they dont have turbo lag. That is not being honest.

8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I guess I don't get into the throttle unless I am in the proper rev range. If you do that, there really is no lag. If you stomp on it in 6th gear at 40mph, of course it takes a while to get things wound up. But that is just like a NA car that you accelerate at too low of a speed, while in too high of a gear.

I DD an F40 in the 90's. THAT car took a while to spool up.... but when it did... Wow! But even that car is the same, if I wanted to reduce the lag, I knew at what rev range things got serious and I just kept it on the boil. I also raced a March/Cosworth 88C Indycar. That had a tiny V8 with a single huge turbo. Nothing happened below 6K. So, guess where you drove the car? 6K and up. As long as you did that, no real lag.

9. BDivine

BDivine Rookie

Aug 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brian Divine
    I agree to what most have said. Yes, there is turbo lag that's noticeable if you want power somewhat unexpectedly (read in the wrong gear). That said, part of driving any car is knowing where it makes power and keeping the RPM within that range. I've seen people make comments about turbo lag being an issue on a track...I have no idea how that could be the case. From 3500-4000 and up the car is an absolute missile and accelerates hard!