McLaren | Page 6 | FerrariChat

McLaren

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Feb 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    APRIL 3, 2018

McLaren promises juniors F1 debut

McLaren is tangling a tantalising carrot in front of its junior drivers in 2018.

According to Dutchman Nick de Vries, McLaren executive Zak Brown has promised that if he or Lando Norris wins the Formula 2 title this year, the prize will be an F1 seat.

"If I become the Formula 2 champion in 2018, then I will get a seat in formula one. It's spelled out in my contract in black and white and that's what Zak told me," de Vries told the Dutch publication Hp De Tijd.

He added: "The same conditions apply to Norris. Lando has some advantage, as his father has a good relationship with Zak and he pays for his career, but if I meet expectations in 2018, then I will be in formula one next season.

"Everything is in my hands," de Vries added.

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Stubble under pressure already.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Zak Brown: the man with the least credibility in F1

4. Keith Collantine

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Keith Collantine
    Huge pressure on De Vries this year. He's with the team who took the last two F2/GP2 champions to the title and he's got Norris, who's scaled the junior ladder much more quickly than him, breathing down his neck.

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I saw nothing impressive from de vries..he's not in the same league as Lando

6. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    An F1 seat, doesn't mean an F1 drive. Could just be a testing roll.

7. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    WHY?

TONS of drivers drove in multiple series - happens all the time, not a big deal.
    Some of the best drivers ever did both F1 and F2, some did or do F1 and WDC,
    it should not be an issue.
    After all, don't we come on here and beat on drivers today because 'they don't race
    multiple series like the guys did back in the old days'?

8. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Didn't Hammy start this way?

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why? Because you can only have one number one priority.

Something has to come second.

10. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Part of the young driver program but was always a stand out with them, so he had the McLaren backing for a long time.

Ferrari's young driver program is similar, no? Massa was a Ferrari young driver not even having a role within Ferrari to start. I feel it's a good place if you can be a part of a team/manufacturer at that stage, impatient maybe but you'd be in a good place for opportunities.

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Very solid 5th for Alonso in the opening race and both McLarens in the points. Toro Rosso nowhere on pace and already replacing the engine in Gasly's car and both drivers having a new MGU-H and turbo put in before Bahrain.

Was SUCH a great decision to move to Renault.

vinuneuro likes this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Time is running out for Team McLaren. Boullier and Zak Brown better get their resumes' ready

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/43685480

McLaren's emergency meeting

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier missed the team's post-qualifying news conference because he was in what was described as an "emergency meeting" with the team's engineers, picking over why the cars were so slow.

Embarrassingly, McLaren were behind both Toro Rosso cars - which are using the Honda engine McLaren ditched last year claiming their car was among the best but being held back by the engine. A decision that cost the team a net $100m when Honda's financial assistance is taken into account.

McLaren's bosses have some serious questions to answer, which Fernando Alonso - who only made it out of the first qualifying session because of another driver's mistake - was left to fend off in Boullier's absence. He said all the right things, that upgrades were coming that would fix all the issues, and that it was up to the team to do the required job.

But make no mistake, pressure is mounting quickly at McLaren. Owners the Bahraini royal family are asking tough questions and if things do not improve quickly, heads could roll. All the bosses are in the firing line - including executive director Zak Brown, who has brought in minimal new sponsorship, and chief operating officer Jonathan Neale. But Boullier is the most vulnerable, as the man who set up McLaren's current technical structure.

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Karma is such a wonderful thing... A lot of sake being drunk in Japan tonight!

furoni, classic308, stavura and 2 others like this.
  14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Lando Norris,18, stormed to victory in his maiden F2 race in Bahrain yesterday..

NEP likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  16. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

I've said it for the last three years. I REALLY do not understand why this Boullier guy is still with this team. He was, and will be never, in control. From the very first year he's not taking any responsibility. The only thing he did well was getting away with that for so long. I reckon the main reason for that is that all issues around the position of Ron Dennis was taking away the attention to the really poor performance of Boullier.
    Sack the guy asap and start again. Patty Lowe might be interested...

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I blame brexit for british teams slumping

crinoid likes this.
  18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    APRIL 9, 2018

Brown denies McLaren juniors promised F1 debut

APRIL 9, 2018

A McLaren junior driver has backtracked after saying Zak Brown has promised him he will move into F1 next year if he wins the Formula 2 title.

Nyck de Vries had told a Dutch publication that the promise is "spelled out in black and white" in his contract, "and that's what Zak told me".

"The same conditions apply to Norris," Dutchman de Vries added.

But McLaren executive Brown denies it.

"That is not an accurate reflection of the conversation," he said in Bahrain. "But Nyck's a very good driver and McLaren will always look to put the two best drivers that it can in the car.

"No one has any promises from McLaren verbally or contractually as to who is going to be in our car in 2019," Brown insisted.

And suddenly, 23-year-old de Vries is not willing to talk about the topic at all.

"Unfortunately I can't," he said in Bahrain. "You shouldn't ask anything else about it because I cannot answer."

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    23 ? over the hill already sorryyyyy

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I'll take bets that Mclaren beats all those teams in the WCC. Hell, they're 3rd in the WCC right now

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    After McLaren drives their own value down to about a quid and two pence, maybe Bernie will buy it. lol

22. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    McLaren is said to bring almost a B-Car perhaps as early as Baku. Let's see what that can deliver.

23. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Axing Honda was McLaren mistake says Marko

APRIL 12, 2018

Dr Helmut Marko says McLaren's 2018 car is obviously "not great".

The British team went into Bahrain targeting the top three teams, but was ultimately outpaced even by the newly Honda-powered Red Bull junior team Toro Rosso.

"Mr Alonso wanted to attack Red Bull but he was behind the Toro Rosso," Marko is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.

"The McLaren cannot be that great and it was not just the Honda engine that made them slow -- they are still last on the straight with the Renault," he added.

So Marko, whose Red Bull outfit is considering switching from Renault to Honda for 2019, joins those who think McLaren made a strategic error late last year.

"They not only lost an engine that is getting better and better, they also gave up a lot of money," he said.

Given that they share a Renault engine, the rivalry between McLaren and Red Bull this year is obvious.

McLaren driver Stoffel Vandoorne told France's Auto Hebdo: "No matter what engine you have in the car, you're always under pressure in formula one.

"We have clearly identified Red Bull as a reference point so it makes sense to be compared with them.

"But we are only at the beginning of the season, so we have to wait a bit for the arrival of new parts to see exactly where we are in the hierarchy," the Belgian added.

24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    tifoso2728 likes this.