McLaren | Page 9 | FerrariChat

McLaren

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Feb 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. (A) What great team (like McLaren) that has been around even close to as long has not had it's ups and downs? (Right off the bat this sites namesake comes to mind as having been there too...)

(B) They didn't show that well; Andretti Autosport with FA driving did.

(C) see (A).

;) :cool: :)

vinuneuro and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  2. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    LOL!

...Surely you're trolling us?

daytona355 likes this.
  3. Ya think? I sure hope so.

daytona355 and vinuneuro like this.
  4. Zisky

Zisky Rookie

May 12, 2018
    Long Island NY
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I would hope McLaren decides to develop their own engine when the new specifications are finalized for the 2021 changes.

After the Honda issues and now the move to Renault they have to see the value in developing and building power units in house.

It doesn’t make sense to spend the money on the current power unit when it will all change in 2021, but I think they must be planning on finally building the entire car when the new specifications are finalized.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Fine in theory, but have you any idea of the cost to develop a competitive F1 engine? We are talking about a huge amount of money here, for a comprehensive programme.

Unlike Ferrari, Renault or Honda (and BMW, Toyota, Ford - in the past), McLaren is a relatively small constructor, and doesn't have that kind of resources.

Realistically, McLaren's best hope, if it wants to change engine partner in 2021, would be to "piggy-back" on the joint Aston-Martin/Cosworth project intended to supply independent teams.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yep, still pending if it will be Aston Martin/Cosworth or Aston Martin/Illmor.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Absolutely, Aston Martin has yet to commit to the next engine formula anyway. Time is running out.

I think that to be financially viable, the project would have to supply most of the independent teams on the grid, leaving just the Scuderia, the Renault team, and one designated Honda team with constructors engines. Echoes of the 70s, when Cosworth provided most of the engines on the grid.

If the development costs are spread over 5, 6 or even 7 teams, it may work; but if there are only 1 or 2 interested parties, it's a dead duck.

The FIA and Liberty may force a decision soon, I hope.

8. Zisky

Zisky Rookie

May 12, 2018
    Long Island NY
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I understand the costs and so does McLaren. Zak Brown has already said it’s something that would consider.

McLaren open to building its own engine for 2021 Formula 1 rules

“For us to do our own engine, that’s not something we’ve done before – We’d consider doing it. We just need to have an understanding of the platform, what are the rules, and what is it going to cost? We certainly wouldn’t be in a position to spend the hundreds of millions that it takes now to develop engines, so they’re going to have to change the engine formula for it to be something that economically would be viable for us.”

9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    In other words...

I agree completely.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Zak Brown tells you it's merely a pipe dream, and I hope, for their own sake, that they don't gamble the future of McLaren on it.

vinuneuro likes this.
  11. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Agree.

What are the development costs for an F1 engine starting from scratch? Might bankrupt them.

william likes this.
  12. Not too good with comprehension, eh? My intentions were neither. Try reading post 201 again, which was a thoughtful response to yours of 200.
    Why do you feel the need to change what I posted? 'Can't provide your own rationale maybe?

Personnel change, ideas change, luck changes for any team that's been around for a time.
    Where's the posing? Is that to say that every sponsor is a "poser". This I don't comprehend.

Numerous results/entry lists. I see no claim of the it being Team McLaren. McLaren/Honda/Andretti Autosport? Yes.
    Alonso's #29, finished 24th....

Entry lists -
    https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indy-500-entry-list-completed-with-33-cars-904047/
    http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/documents/2017-05-13/Indy%20500%20Entry%20List%205-14.pdf
    https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/129524/full-2017-indy-500-entry-list-announced

Results -
    https://www.foxsports.com/motor/results?circuit=6&season=2017&raceCode=4
    http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/race.php?raceid=40372
    https://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/events/indy500/history/historical-stats/race-stats/race-results/2017

Not enuff? There's plenty more and not once have I seen the entrant/owner listed as Team McLaren.
    Please clue me, I like to understand things that I don't. :)

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Comprehension difficulties...

When that's you argument you're grasping at straws...

By the way,... did you notice McLaren still SUCKS?

14. Class act, for certain. :rolleyes:

15. Zisky

Zisky Rookie

May 12, 2018
    Long Island NY
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I respectfully disagree, McLaren is finally in a position to spend a few hundred million to develop a Power Unit of their own. With the 2021 changes and everyone needing to develop new engines, it is the perfect time.

The team has Massive money behind them, the crown prince of Bahrain, Sheik Salman bin Hamad al-Khalifa, bought 30 percent of the tan in 2007. The investor group will need to decide how competitive a team they want.

If they truly want to win a title they will need to develop the entire car in house, like Ferrari & Mercedes.

Otherwise they will remain a middle of the field for the foreseeable future.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    But they won't....

McLaren is about making money today. If they can make money being mid field and running once a year at Indy using a borrowed Dallara chassis they are happy.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  17. Zisky

Zisky Rookie

May 12, 2018
    Long Island NY
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Sadly, you may be correct.
    Which is a shame, since it would be nice to have a few more teams racing for the win.

18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    New shareholder Michael Latifi has now been formally named as a director of McLaren Group Ltd. He replaces Bahrain's Hovsep Kirikan, who has resigned.

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    After the latest round of promises regarding chassis and PUs updates, and just making it out of Q3, I espect a French dude to follow him soon.

ingegnere likes this.
  20. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    No top team wants Alonso - Rosberg
    Published on 11 Jun 2018 12:20
    [​IMG]

Nico Rosberg thinks Fernando Alonso's winning days in formula one are over.

In Montreal, Spaniard Alonso passed the ultra-rare 300 grand prix mark, but next weekend he will tackle Le Mans and for 2019 he is linked with Indycar.

Rosberg, the 2016 world champion, said almost everybody wishes for more success in formula one for the two-time world champion.

"We all want to see that, but nobody wants him because of his political games within the team," the German is quoted by Sky Italia.

Rosberg said he is not sure how Alonso can stay motivated to remain in F1 with McLaren.

"I don't know how he does it, I really don't. He knows he's one of the best, but he cannot qualify 14th. It's incredible," the former Mercedes driver said.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I thought as much when Alonso mysteriously returned to McLaren, having left Ferrari in a huff.

I commented at the time that "Alonso will never win a GP again"..

That prophesy may prove to be exact in the end.

The best teams, the best cars and the best engines will be out of reach for him for the rest of his F1 career. .

crinoid likes this.
  22. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Alonso has all the money he'll ever need. He needs to offer to drive one of those top cars for free, but his ego probably wouldn't let him.

I feel sad when I think of how much great action we missed because he left Ferrari to go to McLaren. We just saw him fight much of a race with a rookie driving a Sauber.

375+ and ferrariformulauno like this.
  23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I enjoyed all the action he has been providing ever since..GP2; GP2, lololo

24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I predict McLaren will have a resurgence of performance after he leaves.

25. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    :D