McQueen Lusso Copyrighted Images | Page 3 | FerrariChat

McQueen Lusso Copyrighted Images

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by regaliaconcours, Oct 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Wouter Melissen
    So let me get this straight. You have just sold a car for three times the price a regular example would go for, thanks to a massive hype created by pictures used in hundreds of publications the world over. And now you complain that the images are copyrighted and can not be used. Next time you have these complaints, please have everybody take down the images before the auction.

Don't get me wrong, as a photographer, I fully understand the value of copyright, but you have just taken it one or two steps too far.

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    He actually wasn't saying they couldn't be used. I believe all he was saying is that when they are used, they need to include a copyright statement to protect his property. People posting his pictures without that statement put his interests at risk.

A similar analogy is when an fchat member asks that his license plate be blanked out when a picture of his/her car is posted in a thread. Whether we agree or not on the necessity or value of doing that, is not the point, but rather our willingness to do something that a fellow member feels would reduce their risk is what is important. Same thing here. Mr. Regalia's originally post was asking for our assistance in reducing his risks.

He never said he would would not grant the usage of his pictures. All he said is that, in the future, please ask his permission first.

90%+ of the pictures that get posted on this forum are from people like myself who have no need or desire to protect our copyright on those pictures. We are not professional photographers nor is there any strategic value to us controlling where those pictures are seen. However, for the 10% or fewer pictures out there where these issues matter, we owe it to those people for us to understand what the basics of copyright laws are and comply with those wishes. For people whose livelihood depends on copyright protection, they would naturally view violations of copyright requests the same as we would view: stealing someone's VIN number on a vintage car, software piracy, using someone else's logo without permission, etc.

3. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    But, how can you compare Marcel's contrbutions to this site with Mr. Reglia's. What has Mr. Reglia contributed to this site? If he had posted some show-and-tell photos of the restoration of the Lusso after the car sold, that would have been a great contribution, as we are all suckers for such photos. Or just, if he (as a proferssional), would occasionally get on this site and offer advice, like Motob does, that would have been some contribution.

Sorry. You have to give some in order to take some.

4. robsandiego

robsandiego Rookie

Jan 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I used to keep a sticky at the top of the Vintage forum containing this information but let it drop after most everyone became familiar with our terms of use and how to report a copyright infringement. Now that we've grown and many new members aren't aware of the proper procedure, it looks like it's time to bring the sticky back. Anyway, here it is again:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/termsofuse.htm

6. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    I have the impression that you did not receive such a notification from Mike Regaglia.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I did, but to my knowledge no photos have been posted on FerrariChat.com or at least any that he has a problem with. It was more of a warning because they were having problems with other websites and users on this site that didn't agree with his position.

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Rob

What about the photo's someone sent me of Carbon giving Brittney S. a "driving" lesson? They are copyrighted so I guess I can't post them?? Do I have to place black dots over certain parts? Please advise.

9. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Take a picture of the picture. Maybe that counts as "original art."

Peter

10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    No dots required if you post them in the correct forum..... never thought of Carbon being a Brit fan but she has thickened up a bit lately.

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

That is just conjuring up some really ugly images in my head. MAKE IT STOP!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!

UGH!!!

DM

12. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    Thanks for the clarification. I think Mark could have added in his first then that he already went after "others" (not on FChat) to make his warning more comprehensible. Pieter

13. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    my question would be:Who on earth would send such pictures to you and why????