MD State Inspection Help | FerrariChat

MD State Inspection Help

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Ira Schwartz, Aug 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I realize that this has been the subject of previous threads, but none seem to have any currently useful information, so:
    I've taken delivery of a beautiful 2003 gated 360 Modena purchased in FL, and need a MD State Inspection in order to obtain permanent tags. Frankly, I'd be reluctant to allow a State inspection station to touch any Ferrari, but this one is pretty immaculate, having just won a Platino Award at Cavallino in January, so I'm particularly concerned.
    Since I need to establish a relationship with a MD shop in any case (I've owned Ferraris for many years, but mostly kept them in FL), I was hoping to find someone to help shepherd it through the State Inspection process. I had the car PPI'd, of course, but it was a pretty cursory inspection, so having someone local check the car out would be useful anyway- hopefully someone who also has a relationship with a MD Inspection station and could oversee that process.
    I reached out to Rosso in Forest Hill and to Competizione too. Rosso has no MD inspection contacts and I haven't heard back from Competizione yet.
    I'm in Baltimore County. Please let me know if you have any ideas. THANKS in advance.

2. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Jeeze, what’s the build date? Considering it’s almost September I’d consider keeping it off the road until it hits 20 years and you can register it as historic which doesn’t require inspection.

3. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I had exactly the same thought, but that's a last resort. In fact, the MVA goes by calendar year, so on 1/1/23 it will become eligible for Historic tags.
    The car is really well-maintained so it'll clearly pass, but subjecting it to being inspected and test-driven by someone who's very unlikely to even know how to start it scares the hell out of me.
    I'm hoping that I'll hear back from Competizione that they can help, but still await a reply.

4. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    In that case, if it were me, I feel the same and I’d bite the bullet and take it to FoW.

Incidentally, my car is currently at Rosso and Ive found to Steve to be uncommonly professional and communicative. I can’t give a full review because the car isn’t finished, but so far so good!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Scratch that, I assumed FoW could do a md inspection. NM. I’d try to get my temp tag extended and wait till January. Can the seller in Florida give you a temp tag?

6. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Thanks, but MD Inspectors are licensed by the State and overseen by the MD State Police, while FoW in in VA.
    Seller was a private party, so temp tag available from him, and MD will not give any extensions on temp tags (I thought of that too), so hopefully Competizione will be able to help.
    Good luck with Rosso- Steve seemed nice, but has no relationship with any inspection stations, and that's what I really need at this point.

7. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
  8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
  9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Could you try one of the Baltimore County Porsche dealers for the inspection (Towson for example)? They would at least be used to working on and around similar types of cars.

If you can hold out till 1/1 the historic tags are a great option. Cheaper registration, no safety inspection, no emissions inspections.

You could also try shops like TPC Racing or At Speed Motors. I feel like if they don't do it themselves they should have some suggestions.

10. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I was trying to think who did the MSI on my Esprit 11 years ago and was thinking it might have been At Speed. Back then they were a great shop. No idea what it’s like now.

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    A friend of mine used to be a tech there. They worked on a pretty wide variety of sports cars and exotics. I actually thought they had closed but it looks like they are still around.

12. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    The dude that worked on my esprit — I forget his name — did very clean work.

13. daoman

daoman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2008
    Washington DC area
    I have taken many Ferraris, some of them 1M+ cars to the BP station in Potomac MD and never had a problem. This is the place that FOW recommends. Its a bit of a drive from Brooklandville though. I need to get a car inspected there next week and would be happy to meet up. Ask for Brian.

They never put my car on a lift or take the wheels off but they do drive them.

Good luck.

FerrariFR33458 likes this.
  14. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    That’s a little sketchy. I’ve never heard of an inspector driving the car. Could be wrong.

15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  16. daoman

daoman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2008
    Washington DC area
    They can measure the breaks rotors with out taking the wheels off. Don’t know how they do the rest without putting it on a lift. All the cars I have brought there had less than 5k miles so maybe they just gave it a pass or… they put it on a lift while I went to lunch.

They put about 2 miles on them when they are in a test drive.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Why not Competizione?

18. daoman

daoman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2008
    Washington DC area
    Competizione sends cars to Potomac BP for inspections.

19. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    THANKS, all. I may need to investigate the BP station in Potomac if no better options present themselves.

20. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    BTW, does anyone have an address and/or contact info for that BP station? I'd like to reach out before driving down there in an effort to locate them and simply showing up at their door cold. Thanks!

21. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    This BP station arrangement sounds like a sort of “Droit du seigneur” for new Ferrari owners in Maryland.

22. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Thanks- at least now I'll know I have the right place! I'll reach out to Brian.

23. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Correct, a braking/general "does it feel right" road test is part of the process - but not always (my experience) done (especially during covid). Years ago I brought an F Car to Maryland and took it to a local (non Ferrari) independent (close to Annapolis) with whom I had a prior relationship. They had never "done" an F car so we did it together - instead of jacking it up I drove it onto one of their raise/lower ramps and checked/measured brakes from there. Road test was a ride along (I drove) .

The inspection process is pretty straightforward and not all that difficult to navigate.

24. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Pretty sure they are supposed to measure the pad and rotor thickness. I couldn't find the form they are supposed to fill out but things like tire tread depth is on there as well.

It kinda sounds like some of these places are short cutting the process to avoid putting the car on the lift. I suppose most people had PPIs done anyway.