Meaning of barcode on Ferrari OEM rim....repair ? - see pic | FerrariChat

Meaning of barcode on Ferrari OEM rim....repair ? - see pic

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rocketman, Nov 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Anyone know what the barcode on this OEM rim indicates ?
    Do all OEM Ferrari rims have this barcode or does it mean that the rim was repaired as I am being told ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I'll chime in with my thoughts: all parts (at least the very vast majority) on any car have a bar code (actually everyone is switching to QR-codes) for production-line sequencing (putting the correct part on the car, not only for customization but also emissions/export etc)

3. Ferrari_Doctor

Feb 14, 2012
    Is the Rim fitted with TPMS
    Check if the numbers coincide with numbers on the sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taz355 likes this.
  4. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
  5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

??? It's a standard barcode, on almost all the new wheels. I think it comes from BBS actually.

Your wheel might have been repaired.
    Your wheel might have been dipped in oatmeal.
    Your wheel might have been transported from the planet Zoinko.
    None of those situations is likely associated with that barcode decal which is almost 100% certainly from OEM manufacturing/inventory control.

Ferrari mostly uses 2 of 5 symbology which is pretty old-school, but super easy to read with nearly any scanner. Their suppliers (like Bosch for example) seem to use newer symbologies, but I've yet to see QR (or even much 2D at this point)

6. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #6 rocketman, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

The point is that the Ferrari barcode is a decal on all OEM wheels and clearly not an indication that "it was repaired and painted" because, as the company's owner is claiming, "that's a barcode that is from a rim repair shop" not Ferrari.
    I am being fed a bunch of BS instead of the owner admitting that someone at his company made a huge error that resulted in some significant consequences for me.
    If the owner is reading this I suggest he come clean before the entire story is released.
    PM's answered

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Oh snap...following for potential soap opera...

RyanFoH likes this.
  8. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Thanks to those that took the time to PM me.
    Most confirmed that the barcode pictured on the wheel does not indicate that it was repaired ( as the sponsor company in question would like me to believe ) and is just the standard barcode decal that Ferrari uses.

9. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    what happened your wheel came loose?

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  11. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Yup....I know it and they know it but it still hasn't stopped them from trying to unethically try to pass it off as a barcode from a "repair shop" in an attempt to use that as an excuse for their error. Don't assume anyone is above lying through their teeth if they think it will save their *ss.

12. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #12 rocketman, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Beware of an incompetent, unethical board sponsor whose business is on Long Island and holds itself out to be an automotive expert.
    In addition to keeping my car for SIX weeks ( during prime driving season) for a job that should have taken ONE..... it almost cost me my life due to an error on their part.
    If it sounds like I'm angry.....I am.

13. Ferrari_Doctor

Feb 14, 2012

What was the outcome?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I thought we had a trade embargo with Zoinko.
    Did something change?

Jaguar36 likes this.
  15. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Instead of being secretive, why not share your story so others will be informed?

16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

We do have an embargo with Zoinko. 90% of the migrant caravan is composed of ex-wheel builders from Zoinko. The other 10% are dangerous thugs and criminals from Sant'Agata.

INRange likes this.
  17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Perhaps my reading comprehension is off today but I'm completely confused by this post.

You say "I'm certain this was a new virgin factory OEM wheel...." Then how is the sponsor involved?

Are you suggestion they damaged the wheel, had it repaired and told you it came like that from the factory?

Clarification of what happened would be helpful to all.

taz355 likes this.
  18. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Has anyone scanned the barcode to see what it reveals?

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think the op thinks the dealer ship is lying to protect ferrari but like you I see no purpose for that

20. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    It doesn't look like the wheel failed, isn't that the only way a previous repair would be relevant?

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Likely a certain amount of loss of control

22. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #22 rocketman, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
    In the interest of clarifying things this is the series of events that occurred:

-my rear bumper had a crack that had to be repaired and then repainted so I elected to use the sponsor in question
    -the vendor picked up my car and kept it for 2 weeks to accomplish the repair
    -when painting was completed I'm told their flatbed truck broke down so I had to Uber to the facility and pick up my car
    -several weeks later I noticed the paint had a bubble in one spot and was showing multiple "ripples" in other areas
    -called the vendor and the car was flatbed back to the company, who holds itself out to be experts in painting, and upon inspection I was told it was "defective paint" that caused the problem and the work had to be redone.....please keep in mind they advertise they use the best Glasurit paint and a Sata gun to do all their work
    -car was kept another 2 weeks and returned to me
    -the day after the car was returned to me I took it out for a drive and within one mile from my house the lugs on the rear wheel came loose and the wheel fell off my car damaging the rim, the caliper and the rotor....thank god I was not driving fast and was not killed or involved in an accident but very very upsetting to say the least
    -called the company and explained the situation so they could send a truck to pick it up and see what happened
    -owner tells me it can't be their fault since they never took the rear wheels off .....really ?....you took off my rear bumper and didn't remove the wheels ?
    -i explain I have the car for 2 years and have never had a single problem with it and the day I get it back from him the wheel falls off
    -flatbeds the car back to his shop and when the wheel is examined he sends me a picture of the barcode above and states that the barcode indicates that the wheel was "repaired and repainted by a rim repair shop" and that is why the lugs came loose and the wheel fell off.......really...are you serious ? this was a brand new car I bought and I am the original owner...states Ferrari probably did it without my knowledge.
    -now had to keep my car another 2 weeks because he ordered a new rim, new lugs, painted the caliper and claims everything else looked fine
    -now he has had my car for a total of 6 weeks during peak driving season
    -the whole experience of dealing with this vendor was a disaster from the beginning and ended with a potentially life threatening situation for which he won't admit fault and instead came up with the explanation above. All responses I have received both in this post and in multiple PM's confirm the barcode/repair explanation to be total BS .....emails, texts and pictures I was sent confirm everything I am stating.

Would you be upset by this ?

tonyswfla likes this.
  23. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Very sorry to here this.
    Being in the same business for close to 40 years what I have learned. Been down this road too many times myself as the boss.
    People are not perfect and have bad days that turn into even worse situations. I'm sure hell is being given to several folks at the shop for various reasons.
    When mishaps happen all we can do is apologize and correct it, giving thanks no one was hurt.

I wish all involved the best :)

xo

19633500GT, Portofino and INTMD8 like this.
  24. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    What model Ferrari is it?

I ask as I have new rubber going on tomorrow and will ask to see the rims with the tires dismounted. ( 488 GTB )

A

25. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    488 GTB

AClark likes this.