Medical climate in NE Wisconsin | FerrariChat

Medical climate in NE Wisconsin

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by slm, Jan 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I would like to get some input from the Wisconsin Bretheren. I received an email about a job opportunity from a recruiter at ThedaCare in Appleton for CV surgery. Now, I receive a number of these every week and normally do not even bother reading them. We are happy where we are and I have a busy practice. I had not ever thought about leaving. However, this has got me thinking and has raised my interest. I was born and raised in Manitowoc. My wife is from western MI. We have always said it would be nice to be closer to family. My family spends the summers in Door Co and all still live in the general area. We get up a few times a year to visit and we all love it up there. I bought a piece of property on Sand Bay close to our family cottage. My wife and I were wanting to build a place, but in the end it would be just too far of a commute from where we live now. This opportunity might be interesting to consider. Of course there are a lot of pieces to this puzzle.

Would love to hear from anyone with info to offer. Is this a place to even consider? Is it a mess?

Thanks in advance.

2. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    PM sent

3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    thanks for the info.

4. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    I can't tell you much about the Medical climate in Appleton, other than the fact that my girlfriend is also considering taking a job there in her field (in which case I'd also likely be relocating up there).

As far as cities go, you being from Manitowoc (where I also have family), I can tell you that Appleton is still a nice city as far as that goes. I'm in law enforcement, so from that perspective I can tell you that the violent crime that is starting to take roots in Sheboygan (up from Milwaukee) hasn't yet spread up the coast to Manitowoc/Green Bay, or over to Appleton etc.

From what I can tell listening to my girlfriend, a lot of their larger medical facilities in Appleton are on par with Froedert in Milwaukee where she currently goes to school; much better than Fond du Lac, and better than UW Hospital here in Madison.

5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks for the info, Ryan.

Best of luck in your search.

Ryan... likes this.
  6. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    OP,

I work for a company that processes human and porcine tissue for use in the OR. I work in the OR at AMC as well as two other ThedaCare facilities. It's a nice facility. OR staff is great (although you'll probably be in the cath lab most of the time?). Location is nice. Especially in the summers with a lot to do around the lakes. Buddy of mine I went to high school with is a general surgeon there. Don't know much about your practice so it's hard to give you a true thumbs up or down but I don't think you could go wrong moving there. If you were CT instead of CV I would have had a sweet position for you.

7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks Bill. I appreciate the info. In my current practivce I do about equal shares of cardiac, thoracic and vascular. I could be pretty flexible in what the next practice looks like.