Meeting Napolis and P4/5 C M at the Nurburgring | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Meeting Napolis and P4/5 C M at the Nurburgring

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Gran Drewismo, Aug 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Fantastic Post!!!!!!!

2. 1986245

1986245 Karting

Apr 17, 2009
    Full Name:
    Matt Hardigree
    Fantastic post. Would you give me (Matt Hardigree) permission to re-post it on Jalopnik? I'll take a few of the photos, give you/Fchat credit, and link back to this thread for more photos and info. I'll also check with Rob.

3. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Wow, awesome!

I was also one of the auction winners; sadly, I spent that weekend in a hospital back here in New York. Thank you for sharing the experience.

I've had the good fortune to meet Jim and his family, Sal, and Paolo at a few events down at his garage. No surprise that they were great hosts; among the nicest people you will ever meet.

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Save the date for 2015 we're going back and you're invited!!

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    One of the greatest threads in here. Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing this great adventure with us.

Best
    :)

6. phthom

phthom Rookie

Mar 13, 2004
    Amazing post. Keep it going.

7. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Thanks for posting. I enjoyed your story and photos immensely.

8. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Awesome post!

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    You are extremely fortunate to take this journey & thank you for sharing your travel stories & photos.

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I thought I saw your name on the auction site. I'm sorry to hear you had to spend the weekend in the hospital. Hopefully it was for something relatively minor and you have made a complete recovery!

Thank you! Anything in particular you want more of?

You're very welcome. And I'm not trying to sound like some brown nosing fan boy here, but yes, I am extremely grateful. Jim and the entire team are wonderful amazing people. They could not have been better hosts and provided us an unbelievable experience.

I met many people there the whole time. Folks from several different countries that have pretty amazing lives. It was great to spend time and converse with them all. I can honestly say I made friends for life with some of them and was left with the impression that while the cars, race and all that is great, it's the people that really made the trip.

11. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Wow.

Wow.

A wonderful, wonderful story. Worth of World Champ Ferrari Chat status.

The only thing I can add is this . . . "and a wonderful time was had by all."

12. Tyraid

Tyraid Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    A great post and nobody can be more grateful for the trip than me. I was the fortunate friend Andrew chose to take along on this journey. I could post some of my own photos if there is interests but we basically shot the same things and Andrew did a good job of covering our trip. I shot a ton of video though with my gopro so maybe that's of value. I'll go through and compare to see if I have anything of interest to add.

Again thanks to Jim, Jesse, and the whole P4/5C team. I have been and will remain a motorsports enthusiast for the bulk of my life but I will never have to wonder what the pinnacle of my motorsports experience will be! This was certainly it.

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

14. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Wow!! What an experience!! Really puts into perspective what a massive operation/commitment Jim has.
    Thread of the month
    Kevin

15. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    There was no choice, buddy. You were going regardless!

16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Some random videos I took.

The press Huayra taking off. I believe they were running some diagnostics on it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eNtalqiUoc]Pagani Huayra blast off - YouTube[/ame]

McLaren MP4-12C GT3 exiting the pits:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqDzlxNiGW0]McLaren MP4-12C GT3 leaving the pits - YouTube[/ame]

P 4/5C at the roll off prior to the flying start:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDaq7nSrs1s]P 4/5 C M roll off at the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring - YouTube[/ame]

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    great pix......looks like you had an awesome trip!

18. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    really enjoyed reading your post, thanks much for sharing!

Especially love the pic of the Nürburg castle from the F1 pit area.

Did you have the Steak vom Stein at the Pistenklause?

And most importantly, did you learn why Jim's F-Chat handle is "Napolis"?

19. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #45 Gran Drewismo, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you very much for reading it, you're welcome. I am very pleased to be able to share it with you all and the reception it has received.

I didn't learn the meaning of Jim's username on this trip, but on another a few months later. Stay tuned for part two of this adventure......

Regarding the steak, no we didn't, however, the table next to us did! I had never seen anything like it before and as you will see in the picture below of my friends reaction when it came out it was really something!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #46 Gran Drewismo, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I want to add something regarding Lamborghini. I should have mentioned earlier, but in addition to visiting the museum, we toured the factory and walked the Gallardo and Aventador lines. It was during this that the difference between Lamborghini and Ferrari finally "clicked" with me. I know it's been discussed countless times via various media outlets and internet forums, but seeing was understanding to me.

We had visited Ferrari the day before, and it was a tourist packed place. Lots of people, lots of commotion. The museum employees were in clothes that looked like race suits the F1 drivers wore. Everywhere there were reminders of its storied racing history and the beautiful cars that the company has produced.

Lamborghini was different. When we arrived there were very few tourists. It was a very quiet area with few people milling about. The best way to describe was "laid back."

Just mellow and chill. Valentino Balboni was just hanging around, like he was just some average guy. Shoot, HE came up to US and introduced himself. We saw him later that day at Pagani and again he walked up and asked us if we were enjoying our day. Crazy.

As I am not a Ferrari owner I could not visit the factory, but here I could. We paid a few Euros and got to see the Aventadors and Gallardos in different phases of construction. At one point another tourist asked the guide a question and she didn't know the answer so she just asked the two guys working on a car at one of the production stages. They each told her a different answer just to mess with her. A humorous exchange in Italian occurred. It's a bit hard to explain but it had a different vibe to it.

So to sum up, where Ferrari is all about maintaining a mystique and reminding everyone of how their success in racing translates to the road cars, Lamborghini is just sort of like "Screw it, let's go drive! And we're going to look awesome doing it and make stupid amounts of noise and be fast as hell." It finally all made sense.

I liked that. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I agree with your assessment of the differences between the Ferrari & the Lamborghini factories. The Lambo factory was indeed laid back as you say. Just a different personality between the two. Both very cool.......but both unique in their personas. The Ferrari facility was extremely professional,the Lamborghini facility.....very down to earth and purposeful.Both were enjoyable to see up close and personal.

22. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Great pictures and stories! I kicked myself for not bidding at the last minute and always wondered who won the auction. I now know it went to a worthy recipient.

The 'ring toaster... so awesome.

23. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    What a thread! Great job documenting your adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this.

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus