Mega Car Condo Project | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Mega Car Condo Project

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by bradolo, Mar 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I apologize for being skeptical.

Isaac, we can talk about it over a beer.

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If it's not a real track that you can use regularly and really lap in at speed for a good chunk of time, then it's waste of money.

You should get something like Monticello for the money these things cost. Car condo is just another word for a nice garage. No one even knows how hard these will be to sell either. $200K tied up in a non-commercial, non-residential property? Pass.

3. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I don't think you are the target audience for something like this.

There's plenty of folks who would be perfectly happy taking a few laps around the track and calling it a day. Maybe give rides to friends and whatnot. It's a auto enthusiats lifestyle community, not just a racer's private track. It's a place you can hang out with buddy's and bs. Its a destination for nice summer evenings. There's a lot of reasons to get a garage besides the test track.

4. zurbric1

zurbric1 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    Exactly. The main reason we are building the track is for commercial use. We have been in talks with the Big 3 and many suppliers who want to use the track for testing, vehicle launches, training, and customer engagement . It will be an amenity for the garage owners as they will get plenty of track time throughout the week.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    this is clearly a lifestyle choice.....

i had a long phone conversation with bruce at the automotorplex@minn (arguably the founder of this concept) about doing this in atlanta a year ago or so....

6. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Then, it really shocks me that Waterford Hills can't drum up more commercial business.

7. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    I remain extremely skeptical that the track portion of the facility will ever be able to operate as any kind of truly functional track. I understand that it's convenient for the city to say "no sound requirements right now" but there are homes within a few hundred feet of where cars are supposed to be going WOT. Speaking of local manufacturers, a C7 Z06 or a GT350 will blow away the kind of db levels acceptable at tracks that are significantly more remote.

You get 10 cars running concurrently that blow 105 db lap after lap less than half a mile from a golf course and a hospital, and I personally don't see it lasting.

8. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I think there will be some sort of compromises obviously. Waterford does the same thing.
    But a lot has to do with the success to the facility as a whole. If they bring revenue streams into the area then they probably will be able to influence negotiations better.
    In fact, I'd hire as many locals to work there as possible. I'd do charity events there for LOCAL charities and whatnot. Maybe a toy run for the children at the hospital, i dunno. Basically anything you can do to not alienate the locals the better.

9. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Waterford Hills could easily rent the track out more, there is plenty of demand.
    BUT, in 1964 there was a Consent Decree that not only limited the sound levels, but also the hours of operation AND the number of days per year the track could be used for motorsports (noise making) purposes.
    It is within those constraints the track and the surrounding neighborhoods have maintained a balance over the last 50 years.......

Brian

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    cause gm cant use the proving grounds for free.....

11. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    A balance "?"

We rented the track for a weekday club event and an adjacent neighbor came to the fence and threw nails on the track. I suggested that the police be called and the nail thrower be charged with attempted murder but the track officials just swept it under the carpet stating that they did not want to make waves with the neighbors.

12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    maybe he didnt realize there was a track there when he bought the house

13. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Nothing to apologize about. Nothing is a reality yet... ;)

Beer sounds like a good idea, Chris.

That was almost as surprising as the nails hitting the track themselves.

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's what I was thinking.

15. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    You were there that day, weren't you?

16. envytheZ06

envytheZ06 Karting

Sep 11, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    Just saw the first phase of 80 units is sold out. Must be a few guys around the area who think it's a good idea. I know I am excited to see how it all works out. Congrats to Brad and Matt from taking this from an idea to reality.

17. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Yeah, I was there...

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    interested to see how these do in the secondary market when it is all done...

19. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
  20. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    I would love to see this work, but I see issues like this in the not so distant future. I was just at Waterford for a private afternoon rental and an irate neighbor rolled up into the paddock yelling. He was upset because of a car that was on track that meets racing sound requirements. This stuff doesn't go away even with the best arrangements in place.

Corvette track issues.
    Track noise complaints loud, clear | Our Opinion | bgdailynews.com

21. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Saw this thread while I was looking for another thread. Funny to read ten years later.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What has happened since and what is track like now?

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    jm2 likes this.
  24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what do you mean by that? was it a business success? popular for members, trackers, and racers? any noise complaints yet?

25. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    given the founder left and is doing projects in Tampa, Nashville and Columbus..... from a development perspective, yes.

everyone seems to enjoy it. it's a club to show off your stuff. that said it's not cheap.

i would classify the tracking activity as the type of touring sessions that goes on during a track day at a real track. i could be wrong but i know of no "real" racing that occurs. it's not built or equipped.

not sure the neighbors are the type that can complain

i'm suprised that it hasnt spurred more local development

rob lay likes this.