Memories - Where are they now? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Memories - Where are they now?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Jul 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Ron Spangler died in April 2018 at the age of 81.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    yes, please tell some from the "good old days" ;)

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    What a GREAT thread!

willrace likes this.
  4. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    DITTO

5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    In the late seventies to mid-nineties, I was the most feared guy at any Northeast FCA track event.

Why? I was the safety inspector for every car that went on the track! If a car did not pass my scrutiny, it did not go on the track – PERIOD!

Of course, the job was not without some frustrating and comedic moments, a few of which I will share.

According to the FCA rules at the time, participating cars were required to have street legal VR rated tires or approved racing tires. A fire extinguisher secured with a metal bracket within reach of the driver, or an approved on-board system. No fluid leaks anywhere. No excessive play in the suspension – this required jacking the car. Approved seat belts. No junk hanging from the rear-view mirror. No loose items anywhere in the cockpit. Removal of spare tire. No bras. And finally, anything that, in the opinion of the inspector (Yours truly!) would cause a potential hazard was prohibited. When the car was approved, I would place an official FCA inspection sticker on the upper left-hand corner of the windshield.

Non-Ferraris would be inspected at the discretion of the event director.

It should also be noted that I would, time permitting, offer assistance to help correct minor issues to allow owners to participate.

So, a guy shows up with a 308 GTB. Four COMPLETELY BALD tires. He informed me that there were his racing slicks. I informed him that he was riding on worn-out illegal tires and would not be allowed on the track. He was fortunate – a Michelin dealer in a nearby city was able to get him the proper tires, same day service.

At Lime Rock, a man shows up with a 365 BB. He looked like a recruit for the Turkish army. Hanging from the rear view mirror is a small cloth sack. I asked him to remove it before I would certify the car. No dice – it was his medicine bag, containing various herbs and gemstones to enhance his skills and drive away evils. Pretty simple - no dice, no sticker.

Same event – a guy with handcuffs hanging from his mirror. I didn’t ask, didn’t want to know but at my request, he removed them.

This is good - a fellow shows up with a 250 or 275 LM. Really ratty looking. Things seemed pretty much OK except that the knock-offs appeared to be a bit loose. I told him to tighten them and I would re-inspect the car. He tightened them all right – so much that one of the hubs failed in tension – on the track but fortunately without much consequence.

Along comes a really neglected looking 250 PF coupe. Opening the hood, I saw a continuous trickle of fuel from the front carb banjo fitting. Owner says it’s OK – leak will stop after a while! There were enough other issues that I could not help the guy. FAIL!

A kid (yes, kid) shows up with a Daytona Spider and a really beat looking LWB California. The Daytona passed, no problem. California – not quite. It had the original tires, nearly bald. Around ½ of vertical play in the front trunnions. No seat belts, no fire extinguisher. Leaked oil. FAIL, big time. This car was a disaster, waiting to happen.

It gets better. Later in the day, I spotted the California on the track and really moving. I called the pit boss and had him black-flagged. Instead of taking the marked route back to the pits, he took off on a side road, thinking I couldn’t get to him. He was wrong. He came to a dead end and I blocked him with my pickup truck. Turns out, he peeled the inspection sticker off his Daytona and put it on the California. I removed the sticker, balled it up and told him to take his cars and go home – no more track time for him. He complained to the event director – did him no good at all.

Another good one. Someone shows up in a Lamborghini LM002. For those not familiar with this beast, it’s a 6,500+ pound four wheel drive truck. Huge off-road tires and about a foot of ground clearance. The owner comes up to me and tells (not asks) me to give him a sticker since he’s sure the vehicle will pass. As politely as possible, I informed him that a), I don’t give out stickers and b), this is an event for cars, not trucks. He asked who he could see to overrule my decision and I said “NO ONE”.

Regarding fire extinguishers: A guy with a 330 2+2. No extinguisher. When I mentioned it, he informed me that it was in the trunk so it would be safe. No sticker.

Another guy with the same model. He said that he just bought it and the seller assured him that the suspension had just been completely rebuilt. When I jacked it up, there was so much slop in the tie rod ends that I suggested that he either replace them or flatbed the car home.

I never charged the FCA for my tech work. All I required was a motel room and meals. In the nineties, my ladyfriend would accompany me and do the tabulating. I paid for her meals.

There was an interesting event at the Pocono racetrack in PA. It combined Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborghini. My lady and I showed up the day before and went to the hotel to check in. A woman with a British accent approached me and told me my room was ready and my roommate was already there. My response: “See that gorgeous blond over there? THAT’S my roommate”. She babbled on – “you don’t understand – he’s the president of the Lamborghini club”. Again my response: “I don’t care if he’s the king of Siam. When I work for you people, I get a PRIVATE room – end of discussion.”

As the tech inspector, I had great responsibility. My philosophy was to be thorough and honest. A lot of people tried to buy me off. No dice. If an incident occurred and a mechanical failure suspected, I would be the first to be approached.

I worked tech inspection at Lime Rock, Bridgehampton, Pocono and mostly Watkins. Watkins claimed a fair number of cars with a few serious injuries. As far as I know, every accident was driver error.

Some of the cars involved: a 308 GTB, a 348, a 330 P/4, a fake 288 GTO, a nearly new Testarossa and probably more that I cannot recall at the moment. I don’t recall any fires.

You may be wondering why I required removal of the spare tire. In one instance, a 308 GTB went off the pit straight and collided with an immoveable object. The spare tire was driven into the cockpit. Fortunately, no injuries.

Another thing I mandated: any car experiencing an off-track excursion was required to return to me to be re-inspected.

All in all, it was a great experience and I’d do it again. There were a few perks but believe me, I earned them.

Also, I got to “tinker” with some pretty interesting cars: Mr Conway’s GTO (4713), Mr Pappalardo’s 330P, Mr Conway’s 412 MI, Sherm Wolf’s 340 (?), a few California Spiders, a few TDFs, some Dinos, some 308s, a few Daytonas, a handful of 275 GTBs, Boxers, lots of 250s and on and on.

And, some incredible rides: Mr Sachs GTO and Testa Rossa, Mr Conway’s 412 MI, Joe Rosen’s BB/LM, Chuck Queener’s California Spider, the first F-40 to run at an FCA event and some more that I can’t recall.

So, back then, many if not most of the cars on the track were vintage V-12s. My last involvement as a worker with the FCA was in the early nineties.

What’s it like now? I attended the FCA event in 2010 in Millville NJ and after that, vowed never to involve myself with that organization again.

Respectfully submitted, Bob Zambelli

Ribolla_67, willrace, TTR and 3 others like this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Terrific stuff Bob, thanks for posting!

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    absolutely great stuff ! ! !

where could he go then for track drive?
    but I understand your situation at that moment - it would be like a tank

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    One can only imagine :D

9. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I thought it would be interesting to revive this thread.
    It really brought back some fond memories from the 70s and 80s.
    Recently, a very close friend of mine,Jack Bloemendahl passed away. He was an avid collector of everything automotive, mostly Ferrari. His widow asked me to come up to Rochester, NY to take whatever I wanted.
    I told her that I would sell whatever I could and give her the money.
    I was genuinely shocked at how much "stuff" Jack had accumulated. Literature - Pretty sure every Cavallio ever published, many Prancing Horse magazines, around 120 Forza magazines, a large assortment of miscellaneous automobile magazines, racing programs, annual meet programs, etc. Tools, nice assortment of 365 GT 2+2 parts, badges and pins from different events, many 1/43rd scale metal and resin kits, toys and on and on.
    Jack was not only a terrific guy but one hell of a mechanic. Together, we rebuilt quite a few engines and at least one transaxle - from my 330 GTC. Also, he and Sharon were both superb photographers. They photographed many of the track events and published some calendars. Jack loved his cars. When I met him in 1974, he had a beautiful 1967 ALFA GTV which I purchased from him in November, 1991. Yes, I still have it.
    He also owned a 365 GT 2+2 and a GTC/4.
    We really had lots of good times. I miss him.

Bob Z.

tritone, 375+, BigTex and 2 others like this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well as my payment is on the way to you, for the batch of Cavallinos, I would point you to our Sticky Thread at the top of Collectibles, one for posters, brochures and magazines, the other for models, to maximum of $99, I would love to see the 1/43rds grouped as maybe four or five, at $99 per lot?

Magazines the same....

I would buy the die cast 43rds for sure and trying to replace my Cavallinos that were lost to flood but at this point I need to audit and inventory the remaining ones!

A very nice tribute Mr. Z.!!

11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The first time I met Joe Rosen was at the 1979 FCA Annual Meet at Fond du Lac & Road America; an event organized by Bob Bodin and Karl Dedolph. In the middle of the gas crisis he had driven from New York to Wisconsin. He had a yellow 308 that he was meticulously detailing in the hotel parking lot.