Merak SS VIN numbers | FerrariChat

Merak SS VIN numbers

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jul 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #1 thecarnut, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I need some help from US Merak SS owners solving a VIN discrepancy.

The VIN of my 1980 US Merak SS is AM122AUS2690. This is what is on the title and also how Fabio Collina refers to the car in his records. On the other hand the VIN stamped on the body is AM122US260 (no "A"). I had a 1979 Merak SS and that car also did not have the "A" stamped on the body but it did have it on the title.

This might seem like an insignificant difference but when it comes to transferring ownership it can be a big problem.

If you own a US Merak SS, please look at both your title and the numbers that are stamped on the car and let me know what you find. The chassis number is on two places ... inside rear right of the engine compartment and next to the right headlight bucket.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    Ivan,
    I own 2680. My body is stamped as yours, and my title has the A too. But also my VIN tag under the windshield has the A. IE AM122A US2680, there is a gap between the A and the US. It's faded and hard to read but with the right angle it is clearly there. Got me--
    Doug

3. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    The above is indeed correct. The chassis stamping may not have the "A" designation in the USA "SS" models. But it should be in the documents (USA title, etc). If you have a California car, then it should also have the "A" in the blue VIN tag located in the drivers door.

Some time ago, there was some speculation that the stamping machine did not have enough letters/length, so they replaced "A" with just "US", but I've yet to confirm this with the factory. It could be something silly that a mechanic came up with.

Nothing to worry about when selling the car, the most important thing are the last 4 digits of the VIN. They designate the type of the car and the factory will support it as valid.

There is a similar issue with very early USA Meraks, they are missing the "US" designation.

4. Drnono

Drnono Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    #4 Drnono, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2017
    Dear Doug R.
    I'm the new owner of the 1980 Merak SS VIN 2680.
    Could you contact me by MP for information please ?
    Thank you.